Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upgrade is back
I still have close to 4 year worth of warranty for my 120 and no sure I have the incentive to upgrade without discount.
Devialet Expert 120 | SF Electa Amator II | Nordost power & speaker cables | Raspberry Pi CM4 Streamer | Devialet Gemini | Vancouver, Canada.
I can upgrade my 200 to a 220 with C/I. I'm really thinking about is. My 200 is nearly 5 years old and so warranty is nearly up. This would extend the warranty again. Core Infinity is an upgrade, as is the 20 more watts...
Devialet 200 <> Bowers & Wilkins 805 Diamond <> Aurender N100 <> Clearaudio Concept MC <> Audioquest Rocket 44/Coffee USB

The Netherlands
Could someone here make a case for upgrading a 120 other than "preserving resale value?"  My 120 (with the sub output) sounds great and works great with Roon for streaming.  Other than a bit more power, what does another three grand buy me in terms of sound quality and/or improved functionality? 

Are there any reviews out there suggesting the new models are an important step forward in sound quality?

Thanks

Dev 120 sourced with Roon
Raidho X-1's (full range) w/ a Genesis 928 playing only below 50hz
Plugged into an Audioquest Niagara 1000
Most cables by Wireworld
(02-Aug-2018, 15:22)ismarketing Wrote: Could someone here make a case for upgrading a 120 other than "preserving resale value?"  My 120 (with the sub output) sounds great and works great with Roon for streaming.  Other than a bit more power, what does another three grand buy me in terms of sound quality and/or improved functionality? 

Are there any reviews out there suggesting the new models are an important step forward in sound quality?

Thanks

Most cables by Wireworld
These might be worth reading:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Poll-Do-...ro-upgrade

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Expert-P...ght=oxford
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(02-Aug-2018, 15:33)Confused Wrote:
(02-Aug-2018, 15:22)ismarketing Wrote: Could someone here make a case for upgrading a 120 other than "preserving resale value?"  My 120 (with the sub output) sounds great and works great with Roon for streaming.  Other than a bit more power, what does another three grand buy me in terms of sound quality and/or improved functionality? 

Thanks

Most cables by Wireworld
This might be worth reading:

Not that impressive - these read like comment threads on firmware updates, not a hardware update that costs almost half the price of a new unit.  Can anyone else shed any light or point to "professional" reviews of the Expert Pro?  Thanks.
(02-Aug-2018, 15:39)ismarketing Wrote:
(02-Aug-2018, 15:33)Confused Wrote:

Thanks

Most cables by Wireworld
This might be worth reading:

Not that impressive - these read like comment threads on firmware updates, not a hardware update that costs almost half the price of a new unit.  Can anyone else shed any light or point to "professional" reviews of the Expert Pro?  Thanks.

There are few "professional" Pro reviews that have been posted here:

https://devialetchat.com/Forum-Devialet-Reviews

And I recall this one specifically for the 130 Pro

https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php...-amplifier

To be honest, I do not think there have been many professional / published reviews that compare the Pro to the Expert.  Also, you need to know which reviewers to trust, some are a little biased in line with whoever pays the most for advertising.  Personally, I'd love to see reviews in magazines where the golden ears magazine reviewers are doing comparative reviews in controlled blind conditions.  It will never happen though.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hi ismarketing,

You're right, there are in fact no good reviews of comparing the "old" with the latest Devialet amplifiers. Wy you should ask me? I think it is because it is a very individual decision and is dependent on everyone's situation. Like 4 brilliant people don't make a brilliant team. And: the strongest chain is dependent on the weakest link. A lot of people would better be investing in better speaker or headphones. But that is no bling bling...

Generally speaking: the more you are satisfied with your Devialet, the more you should upgrade I think. Strange? No. The bigger the chance you hear the improvements of the Devialet. The question is more: can your system let hear the improvements. With reference speakers like the latest ESL elektrostatics (distortion like an amplifier, speed, detail, no crossover, 9 delays and sound like a drop in the water etc etc) and the Stax ESL earspeakers feed directly into the Devialet (WooWEE; cheep!), I can say the Devialet 220PRO is really another amplifier then the 200 was. Closer to life, more detail, space and impact. But as I said: is it worth the money? Very individual. The 200 is very good already.

By the way:
1. Own experiences: in your case I would not use the sub output on the Devialet; try the high level input on the Genesis 928. In parallel with the mini-monitors. Search on the internet for the REL way of using your sub. I cannot imagine that the active way of using the Devialet sounds better then integrate your sub into the Raidho speakersystem. Cancelling point at - 3dB of the Raidho speakers. Your sub will let you hear the qualtities of the power amplifier (and the total speaker-system) of the Devialet as well.
2. A Devialet is a computer. Don't forget. And what is the business case of a computer firm? Microsoft in front? What will Devialet do in the future with Windows 7? Every advantage has its disadvange.....
But without choking: I think you can hear a upgrade well and you will be glad with the PRO. Why? You own a niagare 1000 and the chain is as strong as the ......
1: Atelier d'Or no.75 (1.5m. AQ RCA-XLR), Heart 2812 QuadESL.nl, Kimber 8TC, WBT, Rel StentorII, Oppo105D (surround), Vodafone Next, Quad 303.2(!Quadrepair.nl), Kef RDM1, BenQW4000i, SBooster (3x), IfiX 3x, 125 inch, Stax 507 (2x) on Stax SRM-1S, SRM D-50, all on Iso-Ac. Gaia1, 2 and 3, Kemp Isolator source and power-, Kemp QA/ SNS plugs (6x), Furutech & ALAC maincables, AQ Blizzard, Van den Hul Mainstream, Optical 8k cables, Clearaudio (Synchro+Champion2+TT3 tangential+CM Bearing+Outer Limit+StradivariV2, 530uV, 200 ohms), NUC11 i7, Samsung-980Pro, -A8, -S24Ultra, Roon Life, Netgear 108, AQ Cinnamon all, Live cable USB, AQ jitterbug 5x, WB 18TB 2x

2: 220Pro, Kef R3, Rel Studio, Oppo103EU (surround), Quad 707(mod), Kef RDM2, all on Iso Acoustics 200, Gaia 3 & 1, LG Oled55, Furutech wall outlets(3x), AQ NRG-Z3 (2m., 5x), Kemp powerstrips, Audiotool filters, Oppo HA2+PM3 + AQ cinnamon cables

1900 recorded LP's 24/192, 850 DSD 5.1 SACD (via Oppo), 4800 ripped CD's, Qubuz

@ismarketing - I could make the case for you to not upgrade. I say this as a 1000 owner who has upgraded and received the new CI board. It all sounds great, but, I also have a original 120 in a separate space feeding some old Advent speakers and I am amazed at the sound, and to be honest, as I listen to it, it makes me a little queasy to think how much I have spent on my main system. Unless you need some of the new functionality that come with the upgrade,  I think your upgrade monies are better spent elsewhere.
Nucklehead AMD Server  -   Devialet 1000Pro  -  Magico S3 Speakers
New England
USA
Hello,

can anybody say something about pricing for upgrading to 440pro/CI (here in Germany)?

Do also the vinyl-input benefits from the CI-Board?
Use my analog source nearly 80% and for the other 20% I use Roon over LAN from my audio-PC.
And toslink from TV/Bluray, but that is not used very often and not worth to discussed for soundquality.

So I am thinking what to do and will first wait for an official offer from Devialet per mail...
Devialet 440pro CI - TAD CE-1
Antipodes K50
Bauer Audio DPS3 iT/v.d.H Colibri XGP LW
Germany
Thanks all for the feedback, and to Peter, for the suggestion about the sub. I will experiment with that down the line. For now, the system measures and sounds balanced across the spectrum.