Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upgrade is back
I can upgrade 120 to 220 for approx $6k, or buy used 250 (not pro) for same money. Which option is better for SQ alone.
Strange post by @RebelMan here. I started with a D-Premier and have a 250 Pro CI today. I only upgraded for improvement in sound quality and I am not "...left wanting or sorely disappointed". On the contrary. And calling the change "infinitesimal benefits to sound quality" is just plain nonsense and a discredit to the developers at Devialet. Of course they aim for better sound quality - and we benefit.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(03-Aug-2018, 12:39)musicinmymind Wrote: I can upgrade 120 to 220 for approx $6k, or buy used 250 (not pro) for same money. Which option is better for SQ alone.

I think the 220 Pro CI will sound better than a 250. The step from 250 to 250 Pro was clear, but the CI made a big difference. A pair of 250s will make an 800. If you see dual mono in your future a 250 is a good start. Otherwise  the 220 Pro CI is probably better.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(03-Aug-2018, 13:02)ogs Wrote: Strange post by @RebelMan here. I started with a D-Premier and have a 250 Pro CI today. I only upgraded for improvement in sound quality and I am not "...left wanting or sorely disappointed". On the contrary. And calling the change "infinitesimal benefits to sound quality" is just plain nonsense and a discredit to the developers at Devialet. Of course they aim for better sound quality - and we benefit.

I think @RebelMan makes a point - but I'm not sure to what end.   For me, improvement in sound quality was only a small part of the reason to upgrade to the Pro.   The primary reason was to stay current with the Devialet line... to be able to take advantage of newer firmware/OS upgrades, new functionality, etc...     I don't believe Devialet ever claimed the reason to upgrade was solely for sound quality and somehow doubt that was anyone's primary motive to do so (but if it is, listen to @RebelMan ;-)

Now, upgrading from a 120 to a 220 Pro... that would not disappoint.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(03-Aug-2018, 13:18)ogs Wrote:
(03-Aug-2018, 12:39)musicinmymind Wrote: I can upgrade 120 to 220 for approx $6k, or buy used 250 (not pro) for same money. Which option is better for SQ alone.

I think the 220 Pro CI will sound better than a 250. The step from 250 to 250 Pro was clear, but the CI made a big difference. A pair of 250s will make an 800. If you see dual mono in your future a 250 is a good start. Otherwise  the 220 Pro CI is probably better.

I agree... SQ alone, I think I'd still lean toward to 220 Pro.  But of course, SQ is not the sole factor and it depends on your end-game.   For me, the only reason to buy the 250 is if you think you'll eventually want to upgrade it to a 250 Pro.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(03-Aug-2018, 14:01)mdconnelly Wrote: I don't believe Devialet ever claimed the reason to upgrade was solely for sound quality

Actually Devialet has never (to my knowledge) claimed that an upgrade had anything to do with 'better sound'. But then a lot of what Devialet has said in the past is rather strange...  If I could compare my original D-Premier (running 5.3 when bought I think) with today's 250 Pro CI I am sure there would be quite a difference!
Devialetless!
(02-Aug-2018, 21:28)zaienk Wrote: Yes, it is still possible to upgrade D-premier to the D250 pro with core infinity, the option is available if you have a d-premier registered in your account, it cost 4990€

Is this confirmed? I looked at the french website 

https://www.devialet.com/fr-fr/expert-pro-upgrade/

and the 4,990 Euro offer is for upgrading Expert 240/250 to 250 Pro Core Infinity. There is no mention of D-premier. 

thanks
M
I have a d-premier registered in my customer account so maybe I kindly ask you to trust me  Tongue

Roon/Devialet Air/HTPC USB => Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity => Nordost Frey 2/strap Norse 2 => BW 802 D3
Thanks a lot! I was not doubting you but as usual Devialet is not 100% clear in the communication.

Cheers
M
The Expert Pro page has been extended by a button, with which you get to the upgrade and other information including prices!
https://www.devialet.com/de-de/expert-pro-upgrade/
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria