Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Expert 200: Not as high-end as I thought
The issue started with a design, manufacturing or assembly defect with the foot of my Expert 200, which stuck to the shelf as I lifted the amp and separated from it's internal attachment, which was now rattling loose within the chassis. This is not an uncommon problem (https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Devialet...t-fell-off) and many have returned the unit for repair. Not having a local distributor, I did not want to go through the trouble and expense of shipping, etc., especially since I had read that removing the bottom plate was feasible (https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Bad-feet) and there was no caution on the plate about "no user serviceable parts, do not remove, etc," The head of the eighth and last screw stripped as I tried to remove it, causing me to resort to drilling the screw and attempting to use an extractor.  This did not work because the screw was apparently also subject to a design, manufacturing or assembly defect (cross-threaded?), since the other seven were no problem. I ultimately had to destroy the head of the screw to remove the plate, leaving me with a short stub that even a vice-grips cannot grab. I was able to retrieve the loose bit and simply snapped it and the foot back together. I then replaced the plate with the remaining seven screws. The Devialet customer service rep offered to repair the unit at my expense or upgrade to a 220 at the usual and customary price ($4500). I recognize the role I played in the problem, but I am disillusioned with a company that charges $10K for a "premium" component and then uses a crummy $2.00 part that can disable it.  While they are within their rights to respond as they have, I do not regard them as a customer-oriented company. They certainly cannot hold a candle to the service one gets from many of the other high end manufacturers. Buyer beware.

Messages In This Thread
Expert 200: Not as high-end as I thought - by tcutter - 01-Oct-2019, 13:34