Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Air 3.0.4 Officially Released
This is what happens when the Devialet's USB causes HQ player to lose it's marbles.

Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(25-Mar-2017, 03:03)Dr Tone Wrote: This is what happens when the Devialet's USB causes HQ player to lose it's marbles.

Dumped the Devialet?
(25-Mar-2017, 03:20)Wdw Wrote:
(25-Mar-2017, 03:03)Dr Tone Wrote: This is what happens when the Devialet's USB causes HQ player to lose it's marbles.

Dumped the Devialet?

No, just borrowed some.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(25-Mar-2017, 04:07)Dr Tone Wrote:
(25-Mar-2017, 03:20)Wdw Wrote:

Dumped the Devialet?

No, just borrowed some.
mac gear is, to my ear, the polar opposite of Devialet.  One, detailed and vibrantly fast, the other warm, gorgeous and slow: detroit heavy metal next to a, say, Tesla.  How do they compare?
(25-Mar-2017, 04:43)Wdw Wrote:
(25-Mar-2017, 04:07)Dr Tone Wrote:
(25-Mar-2017, 03:20)Wdw Wrote: Dumped the Devialet?

No, just borrowed some.
mac gear is, to my ear, the polar opposite of Devialet.  One, detailed and vibrantly fast, the other warm, gorgeous and slow: detroit heavy metal next to a, say, Tesla.  How do they compare?

I would normally agree with your assessment but this new MC152 power amp isn't as slow as the MAC6700 integrated I last tried. The MAC6700 4 ohm tap was a tad too warm and had no punch, the 8 ohm was better. I went straight to the 4 ohm on this amp and don't feel I am missing much punch and snap at all.

McIntosh is fuller without any harshness that can still exist in the D220 Pro.  The Devialet is blacker with better instrument seperation but the McIntosh is richer.

The DAC in this preamp is a HUGE upgrade over the DAC in the MAC6700 I last tried.  I'm currently upsampling everything to DSD128 with HQPlayer.  DSD256 is a little wonky, I haven't quite figured out the magic HQPlayer formula to make it work perfect.

I have allot of stuff to get my head around. These separates are closer to the D220 Pro than the MAC6700 was to the D200 when I last test drove.

(24-Mar-2017, 20:44)It octaviars Wrote:
(24-Mar-2017, 20:13)petrik Wrote:
(24-Mar-2017, 19:30)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Is it me or has there been surprisingly little interest in this AIR release on DC?

Perhaps by now most people were working well with the beta, or given up entirely with AIR so aren't bothering. Whic would be a shame as I really think in Mac terms it's a lot more stable (for me). Very stable in fact. Two slight stutters in nearly a week. I'm using 500ms delay, so could mane it bigger but I hate unnecessary lags.

I'm going to try and find time to try Dirac (Roon/Dirac/AIR) next week. If that works I'll be pretty happy.

Streamer gear all sold now (stp). A fair few quid lost in all the experimentation and resale, but got a bit back in the bank, which either helps with the upgrade cost, or will be wasted on some other tweak (or go towards new speakers). I reckon all in all I lost 500-100 experimenting with USB cables/gismos etc. Can't be bothered to add it up properly.

Well, it's a bit difficult to get excited about this release since my computer just keeps crashing to bluescreen whenever I try to listen music with AIR. Let's hope Devialet will get this bluescreen issue fixed soon...

Are you using anymore than AIR? Roon or HQ Player?

I had no problem with Roon and AIR but when I use it with HQ Player it goes bananas......

Do we really know that it is the new 3.0.4 that is causing it? I cant remember if it happened when I tried HQ Player for the 30 day trial period with AIR 3.0.2.

I checked the crash dump file from Windows and that is saying that the crash was caused by AIRAudioDriver.sys = Devialet AIR. I have sent all further details to Devialet support and I'm waiting for their reply now.

I probably continue using Roon&AIR for now because those seem to work more reliably.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(25-Mar-2017, 07:58)petrik Wrote:
(24-Mar-2017, 20:44)It octaviars Wrote:
(24-Mar-2017, 20:13)petrik Wrote: Well, it's a bit difficult to get excited about this release since my computer just keeps crashing to bluescreen whenever I try to listen music with AIR. Let's hope Devialet will get this bluescreen issue fixed soon...

Are you using anymore than AIR? Roon or HQ Player?

I had no problem with Roon and AIR but when I use it with HQ Player it goes bananas......

Do we really know that it is the new 3.0.4 that is causing it? I cant remember if it happened when I tried HQ Player for the 30 day trial period with AIR 3.0.2.

I checked the crash dump file from Windows and that is saying that the crash was caused by AIRAudioDriver.sys = Devialet AIR. I have sent all further details to Devialet support and I'm waiting for their reply now.

I probably continue using Roon&AIR for now because those seem to work more reliably.

Ok, I have installed AIR 3.0.2 again to see if it is only a problem with 3.0.4 but as you say it seems to work better with Roon alone.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(24-Mar-2017, 19:56)Dr Tone Wrote:
(24-Mar-2017, 19:30)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Is it me or has there been surprisingly little interest in this AIR release on DC?

I think the interest in the expert line has died down all together.  Not many talking about upgrading anymore.  Some people have probably just moved on the other products.  Devialet has quit adding new features to the firmware, we used to get excited about that ever 6 months.  Very view Pro series magazine reviews. Zero recent Devialet talk on the various audiophile forums.

Devialet's plan to put a Devialet in everyone's house is slowly back firing.

Talked to my dealer about this who sells Devialet or used to do as he says there are zero intrest in Devialet even Phantom has slowd down in sales and nobody talks about it anymore.

He sells Gryphon, TAD and Aavik for example and Gryphon Diablo 300 is selling like crazy.

On Monday he is bringing a Aavik U-300 to compare it to my 440 on my Sopras, the Aavik sounded really nice with TAD E1 in his shop.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Oh my god... Reminds me of my pre-Devialet gear, but it was the integrated Mac driving first Sequel2s then Ayons. Honestly, I wouldn't go back and am very happy with the 1000 for the time being.
I respect the comments about new add-on's to the code or next item being considered has driven lots of chatter and interest and also, see a bit of slow-down.

I have to admit 2 things, first, I am really happy with my 250 Pro. My music system is working at 100%, the sound I have searched for quite some time is here. I can see me fine tuning my Mac-mini but Roon is handling it beautifully via USB to the Devialet.

2nd, I can wait for the Streaming board wishing the engineers at Devialet much success considering what wonderful tools are now available with some of the new quad core processors and memory that can be put on a small board today, (look at the latest portable music players with processors running Android OS), unbelievable what is being produced for under $500 let alone just a streamer with a $1,500 price tag!

I have the best system that I could want, and new stuff pre-paid for it coming this year.

I have to say, I am excited and truly, a Devialet fan boy, (ah, fan gentleman, past retirement age)!

I am investing into more recordings, (DSD and high-end FLAC), and have a wonderful internet radio station which I know many of you enjoy as well to learn of new bands and music, (talking about Radio Paradise).

Cheers, great year ahead for sure in my humble opinion!

Bob
250 Pro Master, Siltech Anniversary Silver Interconnects and Speakers cables, LINN Majik Streamer, Arcam D37 SACD, Mac-mini with Kazoo, JRiver and tested Roon, Speakers, custom build, SEA Exotics, Chord Hugo, HifiMan H1000's. (home is Vancouver, Canada)