Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Devialet's newest technology...?
(18-Nov-2014, 15:29)f1eng Wrote: I think it would be difficult to make a Rega sound like an LP12 because that would require the removal of the Rega character, but making a CD sound like a LP12 would probably be fairly straightforward if there is enough DSP.

Ah, shame. But couldn't you measure the Rega, measure the Linn and take the difference between the two?

Though some days it would be enough to transform CD sound into LP12 sound especially for 70s and 80s rock music.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Well, this speculation is all jolly entertaining, but wouldn't it be nice if Devialet could at least fix what's broken first...?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
the only problem that I know of is the configurator for mono configurations. But I was told they are working on a new configurator. AIR is working without any problems since 2.1.2 for me.
(18-Nov-2014, 16:14)Vivialet Wrote: the only problem that I know of is the configurator for mono configurations. But I was told they are working on a new configurator. AIR is working without any problems since 2.1.2 for me.

Yes, everything works fine for me too, not aware of anything broken apart from some problems with the new configurator on double mono amps.

The web site is a still a disappointment. The original was much better IMO, less screen candy, more accessible info.

The new configurator seems to have broken some of the functionality. I haven't noticed any plus side to it, is there supposed to be one?

(18-Nov-2014, 15:36)PhilP Wrote: Ah, shame. But couldn't you measure the Rega, measure the Linn and take the difference between the two?

Though some days it would be enough to transform CD sound into LP12 sound especially for 70s and 80s rock music.

The problem with emulating a record player is that quite a substantial amount of the sound it adds is environmentally controlled, how it is supported, where it is in the room and how loud the music is all changes the added colour not only the various TT/arm/cartridge interactions.

The transfer function needed in order to subtract any record player and add a different one would be pretty complex and I have no idea how much DSP would be needed for it to run in real time. Not much good if it couldn't...
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(18-Nov-2014, 15:54)thumb5 Wrote: Well, this speculation is all jolly entertaining, but wouldn't it be nice if Devialet could at least fix what's broken first...?

Maybe they're working on a random white noise generator function Undecided
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
(18-Nov-2014, 11:47)f1eng Wrote: It would be cool if Devialet calculated the transfer function for a few of the more popular characterful amps and made them available on the configurator like SAM. OTOH I am not sure if they can emulate the effect of the high output impedance most of them have, and which must cause quite a proportion of their characteristic sound.
Anyway an Ongaku or Dartzeel button would be cool, IMHO.

I actually had a conversation with Thierry about something similar at the Guildford Audio Devialet show; I had mentioned to him that it would be quite nice to have different DAC filter presets perhaps accessible via the Devialet remote, a bit like MSB and dCS (and no doubt lots of others) offer. Actually my inspiration for this was the Metronome Nausicaa DAC which his two output stages: a SS one and a tube one which can be manually selected and this had got me wondering whether the Devialet could do something similar, albeit synthetically through its DSP. Most of the time you would choose SS but with some material the tube output would be most alluring.

My rationale I suppose was that given that the Devialet was SO transparent it could be rather ruthless with some less than stellar recordings, of which I have a few.

Anyway he wasn't terribly positive about this stating that it would go against the Devialet philosophy. Sad Shame really.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Rather than synthetically alter the transfer function via DSP, they could provide different the bias settings on the class A amp.
(18-Nov-2014, 18:27)ozthepoz Wrote:
(18-Nov-2014, 15:54)thumb5 Wrote: Well, this speculation is all jolly entertaining, but wouldn't it be nice if Devialet could at least fix what's broken first...?

That's what I had in mind. Sorry if I sounded a bit bad-tempered Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Can anyone explain what this patent application by Devialet is about. I thought it might provide a clue to future developments but having skimmed through it find it quite confusing.

http://www.faqs.org/patents/app/20140003619
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
:
(18-Nov-2014, 18:27)ozthepoz Wrote:

Already perfected! Angry
Roon Lifetime, HQPlayer with Acourate RC,Devialet 220 Pro,Synology NAS,AcourateNAS, MinimServer,Moon Mind 180 AES/EBU currently w. Canare Cable,W7 PC JRiver 20, AcouratePro, 15' Belkin USB. Linn LP12,Cetech,OL1,Denon 103R,VAF Signature i66 Mk.11,VAF Gravitas SW