Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2.12.5 and the problem returns
(23-Feb-2021, 12:27)tsmithpam Wrote: (…)

If I went to direct optical:

1. Would the phantoms still play in stereo or would I have to split or manual change the optical feeds from both my sources (innuos and turntable)?

2. How would I control volume?

3. Are they any other consequences I should be aware of given my set up?

1. You would have to split the feeds: plug the left output in an ADC then plug that optical cable to the left Phantom, and to the reverse (right output -> second adc -> right phantom).

2. You would have to find a way do that, by using a mixer or a sound card. With something like a Focusrite Scarlett, I'd use its inputs for the Innuos and for the turntable, and the volume could be managed with the "monitor" knob on it. It has a small advantage: the mixer would not need to "switch" inputs, it would mix them.

3. I don't see any other consequences besides the fact that it's gonna need two ADC and a mixer/sound card mixer like.

As you said: this is a nuclear option, it's adding more cables and moving parts, but I'm pretty sure this would result in a really stable setup.
2x Phantom Silver [Eth] + Remote — DOS 2.12.5
+ Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Ortofon 2M Black) with Pro-ject Tube Box S2 + Swissonic Converter AD 24/192
(23-Feb-2021, 10:54)AcrossTheWaves Wrote: I actually managed to get back to some stability in my setup?! I tried to send a network ping to the Phantoms to see if they were still really connected to the network (my network switch said the port was up). At first it wasn't, but after a while the ping went thru, and since then (I've kept the ping running) it is working again without any flaws. Really weird, I'll try again to see if stopping the ping make them unstable again.

(22-Feb-2021, 18:30)tsmithpam Wrote: Sorry to hear your troubles.
I share the frustration.
Intrigued by your reference to direct optical option.
How would this work and what is the benefit?
Thanks

It is a solution that mostly bypasses all the Devialet's software. This means you won't have UPnP/AirPlay/Volume control anymore. You do this by plugging an optical input onto each Phantom (mono-like). I intend to use two ADC (one for right, one for left) and use my Scarlett Focusrite as the analog source (with L/R plugged onto each of the ADC). Another benefit is that there's almost no latency in this mode. If I recall correctly to enable this mode in DOS2 you have to press the button on the back of the Phantoms five times.

(23-Feb-2021, 00:38)Lee inseok Wrote: Hi Mr, 
I know from your profile that you are using a Swissonic ADC, which I have been using for a while.
But the Phantom Gold does not support 24-192.  
I tried to change the settings of the Swissonic to 24ㅡ96, but I failed.
How do you use it?

I'm pretty sure it does support input at 24/192, since I haven't changed a single thing in the Swissonic. Are you connecting it to a Dialog? It's not working at all on a Dialog. On a Phantom directly, it works nice.

How does it does not work? The Phantom isn't detecting the input? In that case you may want to change your optical cable. Not all of them are able to do 24/192. The first cable I used never worked on it, the second one was having frequent dropouts. Switched to an Amazon Basics cable and it's working flawlessly now.

Edit: You've said you tried to change the settings of the Swissonic. How did you do that? Mine doesn't have any settings at all. It's just a small box with a power button, RCA inputs, and optical output. The user manual is just a single page and doesn't mention any settings. This is the one I have: https://www.thomann.de/fr/swissonic_conv...24_192.htm — Are we talking about the same ?

When Iconnect a Swissonic ADC to Gold directly, the sound will briefly be heard for the first few seconds and then quickly cut off.  Then there is no sound.  
And after that, it sends a message that the optical connection is not found. 
The same phenomenon on the left and right, and the cable also changed three things, but it is the same phenomenon. 

In this forum, someone inquired about 24ㅡ192 support to the Devialet technical team and said that they received an official reply saying that they only support 24ㅡ96 by optical input..  

If you are OK, you are very peculiar and lucky man.

So I switched to adc that supports 24-96 and now it works fine regardless of the cable.
Zidoo z9x 미디어 플레이어 + Shield pro-> onkyo sc5530 프로세서-> rme adi2 fs (3ea)-> 광 케이블-> Devialet golds 3 (FL, FR, C) + silvers 2 (RR, RL) / 150 인치, Optoma Hoz60 .5ch.
(23-Feb-2021, 14:56)Lee inseok Wrote: When Iconnect a Swissonic ADC to Gold directly, the sound will briefly be heard for the first few seconds and then quickly cut off.  Then there is no sound.  
And after that, it sends a message that the optical connection is not found. 
The same phenomenon on the left and right, and the cable also changed three things, but it is the same phenomenon. 

In this forum, someone inquired about 24ㅡ192 support to the Devialet technical team and said that they received an official reply saying that they only support 24ㅡ96 by optical input..  

If you are OK, you are very peculiar and lucky man.

So I switched to adc that supports 24-96 and now it works fine regardless of the cable.

Interesting. I've followed a bit the backtrack from Devialet about 24/192-24/96 (now 24/48), so I'm pretty sure it's get downsampled, but i'm OK with that.

I got a bit afraid because I haven't used the ADC since the last two updates. So I just tried now: It is NOT working or very badly working with a 1M amazon basics cable, but with a 30CM one it is still working fine. I'm not really sure that all optical are supposed to reach 24/192. Cable does a lot there. I guess it also depends on your Phantom version (hardware version, not software), because they were really capable to do that at least at some point. I got a June 2019 Phantom (M22P) and a Nov 2019 (L49N). Haven't tried the optical on the Nov 2019 as I was too lazy to put the optical cable in the Tree, and now I am too lazy to remove the Phantom from it to do it again.

Note that the 1M optical cable was plugged to my computer and I was using it perfectly with no issues in 24/96 (My integrated sound card cannot do 192).

When did you get your Golds ? AFAIK at the time I brought mine it showed 24/192.
+ Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Ortofon 2M Black) with Pro-ject Tube Box S2 + Swissonic Converter AD 24/192
@AcrossTheWaves and @tsmithpam

You may like the solution setup in this post by @jcd1877

@AcrossTheWaves
You would have to split the feeds: plug the left output in an ADC then plug that optical cable to the left Phantom, and to the reverse (right output -> second adc -> right phantom).

This is not strictly correct.
Yes, you do require a splitter although in practice it is a duplicator!!!
In other words, one stereo signal in and two identical stereo signals out.
During the setup of Direct Optical mode, it is the speakers that are configured to use either the left or right channel.

I have been using a rather more involved Direct Optical mode solution for a number of years.
It has been extremely stable and has allowed me to change the audio sources at my convenience as and when new options are available.  If an audio source does not work I am free to try something that does.  That's more than you can say for the Devialet offerings.
(23-Feb-2021, 16:34)alandbush Wrote: This is not strictly correct.
During the setup of Direct Optical mode, it is the speakers that are configured to use either the left or right channel.

I have been using a rather more involved Direct Optical mode solution for a number of years.
It has been extremely stable and has allowed me to change the audio sources at my convenience as and when new options are available.  If an audio source does not work I am free to try something that does.  That's more than you can say for the Devialet offerings.

Oh, interesting. Is the duplication necessary ? It seems overkill to me to feed L/R onto each ADC/Optical to just discard one of them at the end.

I've ordered the second ADC (With the hopes that it'll work as well on my second Phantom which is a bit newer), so I'll try this. If I'm happy with this solution, I think i'll try opening the Swissonics to see how they are made. Eventually I could do my own PCB to make an "all in one" solution that even could be a superior solution to Devialet's software. I've dabbled with audio in the past and made my own ADC/UPnP/AirPlay server (just all analog) that, to the contrary of the Phantoms, got a four years uptime without any kind of downtime.
To go back on the topic (we kinda derived the last posts, eh); I confirm that when I stop pinging the Phantom, after a while it'll disconnect. The ethernet port is still UP, but no IP traffic goes on. As long as I resume to try pinging, after a while it'll come back and work fine— as long as I keep pinging it. Weird.
(23-Feb-2021, 16:49)AcrossTheWaves Wrote:

Oh, interesting. Is the duplication necessary ? It seems overkill to me to feed L/R onto each ADC/Optical to just discard one of them at the end.

Oops, sorry.  I completely missed that you were using an ADC.  It is indeed redundant to input both L&R.
I was explaining what would happen if you had a digital signal that you wanted to 'split' to two phantoms as per @tsmithpam setup.
(23-Feb-2021, 17:54)alandbush Wrote: Oops, sorry.  I completely missed that you were using an ADC.  It is indeed redundant to input both L&R.
I was explaining what would happen if you had a digital signal that you wanted to 'split' to two phantoms as per @tsmithpam setup.

Oh, there is some devices that acts like a Optical splitter/duplicator ?
(23-Feb-2021, 17:54)alandbush Wrote:
(23-Feb-2021, 16:49)AcrossTheWaves Wrote:

Oops, sorry.  I completely missed that you were using an ADC.  It is indeed redundant to input both L&R.

Thanks. Interesting. Would I need one splitter and I then interchange which feed I give it as an input e.g. from innuos server input then switch to turntable feed? The output L and R from the splitter then stays consistently connected to the L and R speaker?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(23-Feb-2021, 20:35)tsmithpam Wrote: Thanks. Interesting. Would I need one splitter and I then interchange which feed I give it as an input e.g. from innuos server input then switch to turntable feed? The output L and R from the splitter then stays consistently connected to the L and R speaker?

Only one splitter is required if you can feed it different digital inputs.
I believe there are cheap multi digital input to single digital output switches, some even remote controlled!

But perhaps, a more elegant solution would be something like the Yamaha WXC 50 or similar.
These can also be used to play from ethernet, wifi, airplay, bluetooth and Spotify connect.
In other words, a pre amp like this can replace the Devialet functions(sic) lost by going Direct optical.