Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2x Silver Versus 1x Gold
Hi All,

I'm not an audiophile but I do absolutely love my music. 

I heard my friends 2x Silver phantoms the other day and they were absolutely incredible but I've been reading that some people think the Gold is significantly better. 

My question is would 2x Silver be significantly better than 1x gold or would 1x gold hold its own against them and then a 2nd could be a target later on for the ultimate experience. 

Thanks
Please have a read of these threads
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantom-gold-vs-silver
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Differen...old-Silver

It depends on how you listen to music and what type of music as well.
I would also consider the Kef LS50 wireless as an option compared to a single or even a pair of silvers

I have heard them compared to my golds and was quite impressed even though I decided to keep the golds - if I really had swap for some reason I think I could live with them as an alternative Smile
(24-Jun-2019, 20:55)Jamington2004 Wrote: I would also consider the Kef LS50 wireless as an option compared to a single or even a pair of silvers

I have heard them compared to my golds and was quite impressed even though I decided to keep the golds - if I really had swap for some reason I think I could live with them as an alternative Smile

Thanks for the recommendation! 

I think I just need to go and find somewhere to listen to them. I just had a bit of a read on the LS50W and it seems setup is really crucial. Some people reported poor sound until they had dedicated stands and position was key. I don't have a particular space where I listen to music, I would likely move speakers around depending on the situation (albeit incredibly carefully if I went with the phantom, since I read it's delicate as hell). 

If I am honest I tend to be a bit biased towards bass which is one reason why I'm drawn to the Phantom. The bass on the silvers blew my mind.
Placing a stereo pair of speakers on stands and locating them properly are good practices if you want to get the best out of them. Applies to both Phantom Silver, LS50W or any other speakers.

If you like the Silver sound and bass, you may find the bass on Gold more reserved. I prefer the Gold and own a pair, but other people like the bass on the Silver. Comes down to personal preference, budget and type of music you listen to.
Repeating what I have said in other threads, to my ears, a stereo pair trumps any mono speaker.

Therefore, unless mono is a temporary situation until I would have the budget to buy a second one, I would always go the route of a stereo pair of Reactors/Phantoms in preference to a single better phantom but in mono.

Jean-Marie
PS: what I say do not apply to casual listening as background music, but to the kind of listening when do don’t do anything else than listening to the music.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
I recently had one Silver pack up and really didn’t like the sound the other one made on it’s own. If you can afford a second gold fairly quickly then go for it. However if you can afford two Silvers I would prefer that to one Gold. They really need to be a stereo pair whichever model you go for.
2 Silvers over 1 Gold.

But if 2 golds are in the horizon in the next 12 months after purchase of the first gold, then 1 gold.

KFLS50W - probably better mids and treble than either in terms of refinement/resolution.