Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
AIR 3 Beta for Mac
Hi guys

I have been testing the new AIR 3 beta for Mac.

I have been playing non-stop since 10am, so nearly 5 hours. No dropouts and no white noise.

I am using Audirvana Plus 1.5.12 and playing a collection of albums downloaded from Qobuz, some 24 bit.

See the attached image to see what low level playback options I have selected. Essentially everything!  Smile

This is by far the best SQ I have ever heard using AIR. At times jaw dropping. Many of you on here will know I have not been a great fan of AIR in the past. This in my mind changes everything (assuming the lack of dropouts and white noise perseveres!). I have NEVER heard AIR sound this good before. I know, I'm repeating myself!  Big Grin

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Just can't believe after promising for over a year that the only thing they've come up with is a bloody Mac version.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(11-May-2016, 14:54)nicoludio Wrote:
(11-May-2016, 14:44)Confused Wrote: Here is some actual news ......

A new 'public beta' version of AIR has appeared on Devialet's website...... (I suspect this might be Mac only, but haven't checked myself yet)

Here's the link and comment from the Devialet rep:

Sorry guys, we were so busy recently on various things and believe me we have so many surprise prepared for you, just bear with us a bit longer. Meanwhile, here is a public beta version:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lv5x51atsfzfsb...a.dmg?dl=0
(11-May-2016, 14:59)Cylob Wrote: Just can't believe after promising for over a year that the only thing they've come up with is a bloody Mac version.

It is shocking, although I think the most recent beta's were Windows only? So perhaps they do one OS per six months?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(11-May-2016, 15:06)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(11-May-2016, 14:59)Cylob Wrote: Just can't believe after promising for over a year that the only thing they've come up with is a bloody Mac version.

It is shocking, although I think the most recent beta's were Windows only?  So perhaps they do one OS per six months?

I've been told a windows version is on its way

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Ah thank god! Cheers Guillaume for getting my temperature down again by 10 degrees. 
Big Grin
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(11-May-2016, 14:56)GuillaumeB Wrote: I have been playing non-stop since 10am, so nearly 5 hours. No dropouts and no white noise.

That sounds promising, but it's still early days obviously... I'd be wanting 'months' rather than 'hours' or even 'days' before I committed to using it again.

How did AIR2 work in your system Guillaume? Was it reliable?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(11-May-2016, 15:10)Cylob Wrote: Ah thank god! Cheers Guillaume for getting my temperature down again by 10 degrees. 
Big Grin

Trouble is I don't know when... all I know is a windows version is coming. 

Guillaume

UK
(11-May-2016, 15:11)Hifi_swlon Wrote: How did AIR2 work in your system Guillaume?  Was it reliable?

It was unusable and sounded a bit iffy to be honest. This is a completely different thing altogether.

Guillaume

UK
(11-May-2016, 15:13)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(11-May-2016, 15:11)Hifi_swlon Wrote: How did AIR2 work in your system Guillaume?  Was it reliable?

It was unusable and sounded a bit iffy to be honest. This is a completely different thing altogether.

Guillaume

Interesting....
Had you tried AIR2 since getting the Od'A? Maybe they made changes that end that would make AIR sound better or be more reliable?

If not, I guess there is hope for all of us.

OK, I'm going to try and stay positive! I will just be fully open minded that this could really be it, and that we won't be seeing any reports of instabilities...... Angel