Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice
Hello.
Can't see many posts recently I've decided to make one.
I own a Devialet expert 200 for a few years already ,using it with audio physic virgo5 .
I am happy how it sounds overall especially after adding some acoustic treatment to the room.
From some time I've got an upgrade itch .
So thinking of making one of these steps:
1. Upgrade 200 to 220 pro ci through devialet (most obvious. Cost 2100£

2.Upgrading my speakers to say Max up to 3000£ incl money earned from sale of mine also.

3.Investing about 2000£  into a mains conditioner plus power cable (thinking about Puritan audio here)

4.Another option I do think sometimes is to sell my 200 and buy D-premier (with the intention to upgrade it to 250 pro though devialet upgrade in couple of years time)
5.Any other suggestions?

What do you guys think?
Does any of you been in this situation?
What you've done and why?
Which move will give me the most ?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions...

KW
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
If it were me, I would upgrade the 200 to 220ci. I found the upgrade from 250 to 250ci to deliver a clear improvement (I had an extra 250, so was able to do direct, side-by-side comparisons of pre-CI vs. CI 250s). This is also why I would not get the d-Premier -- I suspect it would be a step back from your 200. I had a d-Premier for side-by-side comparison with my pre-CI 250 and thought it was noticeably rougher sounding.

If you are happy with your speakers, and if they already are SAM capable, I wouldn't rush to change them. I had the original Virgo, and still sometimes miss it even today!

That leaves power conditioning. The return from power conditioning depend a great deal on the quality of the AC power you have in your house. So I would recommend only trying things you can return if you're not happy with them, or you feel they do not deliver enough improvement. I have long used PS Audio regenerators with my Devialet Experts (going all the way back to the d-Premier days), and I couldn't imagine doing without it. But that's based on the dirty AC power in my area, combined with my 100 year old house wiring. So your mileage may vary, as they say.
Devialet 1000 Pro Core Infinity, Magico M3, Nordost Frey 2 speaker cable, PS Audio P15 Power Plant, Shunyata Alpha EF AC cable, Mac Mini running ROON.
(04-May-2021, 21:34)flohmann Wrote: If it were me, I would upgrade the 200 to 220ci. I found the upgrade from 250 to 250ci to deliver a clear improvement (I had an extra 250, so was able to do direct, side-by-side comparisons of pre-CI vs. CI 250s). This is also why I would not get the d-Premier -- I suspect it would be a step back from your 200. I had a d-Premier for side-by-side comparison with my pre-CI 250 and thought it was noticeably rougher sounding.

If you are happy with your speakers, and if they already are SAM capable, I wouldn't rush to change them. I had the original Virgo, and still sometimes miss it even today!

That leaves power conditioning. The return from power conditioning depend a great deal on the quality of the AC power you have in your house. So I would recommend only trying things you can return if you're not happy with them, or you feel they do not deliver enough improvement. I have long used PS Audio regenerators with my Devialet Experts (going all the way back to the d-Premier days), and I couldn't imagine doing without it. But that's based on the dirty AC power in my area, combined with my 100 year old house wiring. So your mileage may vary, as they say.

Hi and thanks for your input.

You've  just confirmed my thought about the upgrade to 220 pro ci.
The idea about d-premier was to upgrade it later to 250 pro ci as this would give me the best sound quality for sensible money as the cheapest I've found can get 250 pro in my country is around 8 to 9k£ .
Buying d-premier for 3k then upgrading it to 250 pro at 3700£  youre getting 250 pro ci for 6700£  with 5 years warranty ,but of course the most expensive one .

As speaking about the clean power electricity I do think is not very good .
I am already using some sort of filter conditioner Monster 1000 or so called and the improvement is clearly noticable,also have synergistic research black and isoclean fuses installed in my power leads and they do improve especially the sn black.
The 220 CI vs the 250 CI is an interesting quandary, but of course, the price difference is still significant. One other consideration would be to buy the 220 CI with the intent to later add another for a 440 Pro. Just a thought.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Just wondering if anyone compared the 220 pro ci to 250 (standard expert) ?
LG b7 ,atlas mavros optical(glass),Devialet expert 1000 pro ci ,isoacoustics orea bronze,audioquest nrg-z3x2 ,audioquest niagara 1200,audioquest nrg-z3,mcru wall socket ,Atlas mavros speaker cable,KEF Reference 1 ,Synergistic research orange x3 and black x1 (13a UK plug
I upgraded the d-premier to 250 pro and then added the CI board. The change was very noticeable in every upgrade and the 250 pro with CI is a more refined and pleasant than the d-premier ever was.

If you can and if the rest of your setup is revealing enough, go for the 220/250 pro with the CI board.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
farad super 3 (12v, sr orange fuse, furutech rodium ac inlet) -> daphile / diy streamer -> audioquest cinnamon toslink -> denafrips gaia -> transparent reference aes/ebu -> devialet 250pro ci -> transparent mws xl -> proac 3.8.

solid tech hybrid rack, shunyata hydra 8, shunyata anaconda helix alpha, shunyata python helix vx, dc cable farad level 2, isoacoustics orea bronze, ansuz darkz d2t.
(05-May-2021, 16:23)jbp Wrote: I upgraded the d-premier to 250 pro and then added the CI board. The change was very noticeable in every upgrade and the 250 pro with CI is a more refined and pleasant than the d-premier ever was.

If you can and if the rest of your setup is revealing enough, go for the 220/250 pro with the CI board.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando Tapatalk
Hi.
Thanks for your message.
Did you have any chance to compare 220 pro ci to either standard expert 250 or 250 pro ci ?
If so, what your thoughts?
An amp upgrade is an absolutely reasonable path, if your speakers are not challenged by D200.

But my guess is, that D200 can deliver better sound quality than many speakers are able to reveal.

So i'd take it to any nearby Hifi studio and test for the limits.

On the other hand, D200 cannot drive all speakers adequately. Then a dual mono config should help most.

Personally: i'm also using a D200, i.e. the old Expert line, and in this case SAM support is not essential to me. If SAM is available, i try, of course.
I still haven’t done the upgrade to Pro. My Audio Physics benefited massively from going double mono. Money wise I had to chose between upgrading my first 200 to 220 Pro or buying a second 200. I was able to listen side by side, and decided in favor of going for the D400. The jump in sound quality was more profound for me. Still happy with my choice I made then. Who knows, maybe I will consider the upgrade one day. Preferably when Devialet decides to announce the successor to the Pro or when I will be able to afford a D1000 Pro CI.

Biggest upgrade since my upgrade to 400 was the recent installing a GigaWatt breaker by the way, which gave me more refinement and dynamics because of better current deliverance. These amps are pretty sensitive when it comes to the quality of power directed to them.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
My experience is, that the dual mono combination defeats the single case versions.

What I compared at home:

D1000 pro ci > d400 > d250 pro ci

Gauder Berlina RC7 mk2 > Devialet 1000 Pro > Mac Mini > Audirvana