Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Audioquest NRG Z3 power cord
Highly recommend this new series cord from Audioquest.  Inexpensive and an easily audible improvement to the base AQ cord supplied with your CI Devialet.  The EE, Garth Powell, responsible for the recent Storm Series power cords and the Niagara series of line conditioners claims this cord is quite close in performance to the far more expensive Tornado.
It was immediately obvious, without any effort at laboured and strenuous A/B comparisons, that this is marvellous.  Price in Canada is roughly $300 so an easy upgrade.
G. Powell is currently redesigning the AQ set of speaker cables starting with the introduction of the Mythical Creatures Series, Thunderbird, Firebird and Dragon.  Very expensive but suspect they are worth a listen.
I see that I'm following up on @Wdw's post quite quickly, but I also think the Z3 power cable is a bargain. I borrowed one yesterday to try at home. It is a clear improvement over the AQ cable that came with the CI upgrade. As Wdw notes, the improvement was easy to discern without A/B cable swapping.

To describe the change, I found that this power cord opened up the sound, or delivery, quite a bit. It made things seem 'easier'. Some improvement in the bass definition certainly, but in my system, I noticed a very nice change in the way the midrange comes through. Vocals in particular are more forward and rounded. Thinking  back to the upgrade from the Expert to the Pro series, some owners felt the Pro produced vocals in a less forward, more recessed way.

If that aspect of the Pro change was a disappointment, this $300.00 cable changes that back to the Expert midrange presentation; more forward and more rounded. The midrange becomes something you can hold in your hands, like a ball that is held out from the speakers, proud of the background.

OK, I'm into silly-speak, but that is the way I'm going to describe the SQ change. It is entirely probable that other, more expensive cables will do the same thing or more but if you can spend $300.00 on wine for a weekend (and I can) then this AQ NRG Z3 is a bargain.

One other note: Wdw's system is extremely clear, full and detailed. The D440 with the Niagara 5000 and the Magico speakers turn all the bits into music in a remarkable way. My system is a few rungs down the ladder, but my Lawrence Audio speakers are probably the main change in sonic character. If you have speakers in the Magico camp, or if you have speakers that are .... less Magico, I think this power cable is a winner regardless.

Off topic, slightly, I'm still a bit surprised to discover that power cords can make such a difference. I found the same thing when I added Nordost's inexpensive Purple Flare power cord to my W4S Sonos Connect and Amp. Same thing into my Shunyata Denali D2000T power conditioner. I was... am... sceptical, but I'm fully willing to give up a case of Brunello for the budget AQ power cord. For those that are interested but reluctant to commit a mortgage payment to a silly piece of cable, this one is really worth it.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
does it fit under the cover of the Devialet ?
(31-Oct-2018, 08:30)Vivialet Wrote: does it fit under the cover of the Devialet ?

I looks like it will

https://www.audioquest.com/cables/ac-pow...ies/nrg-z3
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(31-Oct-2018, 08:30)Vivialet Wrote: does it fit under the cover of the Devialet ?

Yes it does.
<pedant>
Please could the thread title be edited to refer to "power cord"; a power chord is something completely different!
</pedant>

(31-Oct-2018, 03:38)Damon Wrote: ...I was... am... sceptical, but I'm fully willing to give up a case of Brunello for the budget AQ power cord.

Praise indeed! Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
How come still sceptical Damon? Sounds like you proved to yourself they do something obvious and good?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

it's really a shame that most of the top cables don't fit. So either you have to use an entry stage cable like the Z3 or don't use the covers...
There is a connector from Furutech that can handle bigger gauges and also fits. Why do the cable companies not offer this for Devialet owners ??
Maybe they have not recognised this market ?
(31-Oct-2018, 21:41)Vivialet Wrote: it's really a shame that most of the top cables don't fit. So either you have to use an entry stage cable like the Z3 or don't use the covers...
There is a connector from Furutech that can handle bigger gauges and also fits. Why do the cable companies not offer this for Devialet owners ??
Maybe they have not recognised this market ?

Well, it could be viewed as a benefit as you may be less inclined to be looking at 1000 EUR Power cords......but I am very impressed with this Z3 and have some confidence it would hold its own against some of the pricier cables.  Love to hear a shootout between this and, say, a Shunyata.  Nordost can build any of of their power cord with a head to sit under the "hood' and I have it from a source at AQ that they may offer a similar program.
Check out this NRG Z3, you may be surprised.
(31-Oct-2018, 19:32)Hifi_swlon Wrote: How come still sceptical Damon? Sounds like you proved to yourself they do something obvious and good?

Indeed they do.

Perhaps what I meant to say is that I am surprised by the improvement the Z3 power cord brings over the CI AQ upgrade cord. As I have only the barest understanding of the electrical or physical factors involved, it seems mysterious and so I'm still susceptible to being surprised.

Yes, lets go with 'surprised' as a replacement for sceptical. I'm comfortably convinced of the value of appropriate cables. Unfortunately, everything seems to matter in this silly game.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada