Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Audioquest NRG Z3 power cord
Hello, the thing is just like all the other things. Rent the cable at the dealer, test it at home and then decide for myself I like that, if not back to dealers. As the AQ cables meet all the electrical standards of different countries, there are no problems here. There are also power cables with 2-pin plugs and sockets (neutral earthed) Rolleyes
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(25-Dec-2018, 23:07)awkaplan Wrote: I have only used my Expert Pro 140 with the Z3.  Purchased overseas and needed mains compatible with IS socket.  Working with TheCableCo to see if other options below or above the price point (up to $1500) will make a noticeable difference.  Their Lending Library program seems excellent.  Will be trying the Shunyata Devialet spec for a bit!

Are you talking about Shunyata cables OR the Synergistic Research Atmosphere Devialet spec cables ?

In 2017, I worked with Steven of The Cable Co and ended up buying the Synergistic Research Atmosphere Devialet spec cables for my 440-Pro CI. Since my purchase with The Cable Co, one of the blue LED bullet plugs never used to stay lit and I was kinda bothered with it. 2 months back, I called up Synergistic Research (SR) in California and sent both my cables to them for a checkup. They were returned with brand-new Blue bullet plugs and since then, I feel my SR cables are "on steroids" with great 3D air ... that wasn't there earlier to this current levels ... 

Bottomline - absolutely no regrets with my purchase of the SR Devialet spec cables ... 

Good luck !!  Hope they work for you but do check if that 'blue LED' stays ON which is vital ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(02-Nov-2018, 21:02)Pim Wrote:
(02-Nov-2018, 17:34)ThomasD Wrote: I am very sceptical to supercables and the advertisment for them. Audioquest state that :

"NRG-Z3’s Ground Noise-Dissipation System and direction-controlled Silver-Plated shield conductors efficiently drain RF noise from the line and neutral shields to ground via the third “ground” pin. "

My power cord is ungrounded in both end, that is this statement is not relevant for my connection. As I undertstand a power cable can be grounded in one end, both ends or it can be ungrounded. I have heard some say an ungrounded system gives the most open sound and other say it should be grounded on one side. Has anybody on this forum tested theses options?

And all these Cu qualities is realy hokus pokus for me. Maybe pure gold cables will give best sound?

Earth, or ground as you call it, is a safety thing and shouldn't be underestimated. If you have an internal problem with your amp and a phase touches the case, you can get electrocuted if you touch it. The earth connection takes that power away for you so you don't have to cop it. On top of that, there's the safety switch that will cut the power as soon as there's a current going to earth. Anything with a metal body (Fridge, oven, kettle, Devialet Expert!) HAS to have its earth connected.  Believe me, I'm an electrician.  Idea

@Pim ... I have to agree with you that anything with a metal body MUST be grounded. I just a while back bought a DeLonghi Oil-filled radiator Room Heater and was super surprised it didn't come with a cable having a Ground terminal but only 2 pins (Neutral & Live) ...  Rolleyes
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(31-Oct-2018, 00:15)Wdw Wrote: Highly recommend this new series cord from Audioquest.  Inexpensive and an easily audible improvement to the base AQ cord supplied with your CI Devialet.  The EE, Garth Powell, responsible for the recent Storm Series power cords and the Niagara series of line conditioners claims this cord is quite close in performance to the far more expensive Tornado.
It was immediately obvious, without any effort at laboured and strenuous A/B comparisons, that this is marvellous.  Price in Canada is roughly $300 so an easy upgrade.
G. Powell is currently redesigning the AQ set of speaker cables starting with the introduction of the Mythical Creatures Series, Thunderbird, Firebird and Dragon.  Very expensive but suspect they are worth a listen.

Thanks @Wdw !!!

This audioquest Nrg Z3 (and also the Z2) are no brainers it is marvellous and after a week of two even more!!

Never had before a greater upgrade with powercables and without any effort and A/B comparation a direct noticeable SQ improvement 
I believe that Z3  is quite close in performance to the far more expensive tornado.

At this moment (after a try period of two weeks)  i have changed all my Powercables to the Nrg Z3 and z2 and every replacing (step by step) was a improvement.

Thanks for the great and affordable tip.
(23-Jan-2019, 10:47)Johnnydev Wrote:
(31-Oct-2018, 00:15)Wdw Wrote: Highly recommend this new series cord from Audioquest.  Inexpensive and an easily audible improvement to the base AQ cord supplied with your CI Devialet.  The EE, Garth Powell, responsible for the recent Storm Series power cords and the Niagara series of line conditioners claims this cord is quite close in performance to the far more expensive Tornado.
It was immediately obvious, without any effort at laboured and strenuous A/B comparisons, that this is marvellous.  Price in Canada is roughly $300 so an easy upgrade.
G. Powell is currently redesigning the AQ set of speaker cables starting with the introduction of the Mythical Creatures Series, Thunderbird, Firebird and Dragon.  Very expensive but suspect they are worth a listen.

Thanks @Wdw !!!

This audioquest Nrg Z3 (and also the Z2) are no brainers it is marvellous and after a week of two even more!!

Never had before a greater upgrade with powercables and without any effort and A/B comparation a direct noticeable SQ improvement 
I believe that Z3  is quite close in performance to the far more expensive tornado.

At this moment (after a try period of two weeks)  i have changed all my Powercables to the Nrg Z3 and z2 and every replacing (step by step) was a improvement.

Wow.. did anyone compare Z3 to Tornado and chose Z3? There's a quite a bit of difference in price between those 2. I might need to give Z3 a try for some source components.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(24-Jan-2019, 00:52)sam1000 Wrote:
(23-Jan-2019, 10:47)Johnnydev Wrote:

Thanks @Wdw !!!

Wow.. did anyone compare Z3 to Tornado and chose Z3? There's a quite a bit of difference in price between those 2. I might need to give Z3 a try for some source components.

Try out the z3 without obligations,
what can you lose?
You are right, but I had already ordered a hurricane and couple of thunders for Devialet. Should get it tomorrow. That’s why I was wondering if I should have ordered z3 instead of thunders.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(27-Dec-2018, 05:18)audio_engr Wrote:
(25-Dec-2018, 23:07)awkaplan Wrote: I have only used my Expert Pro 140 with the Z3.  Purchased overseas and needed mains compatible with IS socket.  Working with TheCableCo to see if other options below or above the price point (up to $1500) will make a noticeable difference.  Their Lending Library program seems excellent.  Will be trying the Shunyata Devialet spec for a bit!

Are you talking about Shunyata cables OR the Synergistic Research Atmosphere Devialet spec cables ?

In 2017, I worked with Steven of The Cable Co and ended up buying the Synergistic Research Atmosphere Devialet spec cables for my 440-Pro CI. Since my purchase with The Cable Co, one of the blue LED bullet plugs never used to stay lit and I was kinda bothered with it. 2 months back, I called up Synergistic Research (SR) in California and sent both my cables to them for a checkup. They were returned with brand-new Blue bullet plugs and since then, I feel my SR cables are "on steroids" with great 3D air ... that wasn't there earlier to this current levels ... 

Bottomline - absolutely no regrets with my purchase of the SR Devialet spec cables ... 

Good luck !!  Hope they work for you but do check if that 'blue LED' stays ON which is vital ...

Sorry yes, my mistake.  I actually had the same issue with the demo unit and was able to drive to the factory to have it repaired.  Wound up going with a Shunyata (correct this time) Delta EF.  Not very happy right now with my 140 though—having discoloration issues with the power button.
I would suggest going up a notch—get the Shunyata Delta EF.  Makes Z3 sound thin in comparison.
(31-Jan-2019, 00:03)awkaplan Wrote: I would suggest going up a notch—get the Shunyata Delta EF.  Makes Z3 sound thin in comparison.
Not just a notch, but a wallop. $300.00 vs $1800.00. Personally, I start with the AQ Z3 cord. A power cord that costs 20% of the amp is a hard pill to swallow. If, however, you are looking in that price range, there are many other cable companies that make excellent cables, and which may suit your system and ears for much less. Consider Wywires, for example. Or Analysis Plus.

But I repeat my own endorsement, and echo that of others, RE the AQ Z3 cable: try it. And I say that after having trialed a Shunyata EF cable at home in my own system.... yes, really.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada