Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
Audioquest NRG Z3 power cord
just wondering what cords you guys have compared this to other than the stock AQ cord?

Good to see other vancouver devialet people btw
(01-Nov-2018, 21:42)honeymustardsteve Wrote: just wondering what cords you guys have compared this to other than the stock AQ cord?

Good to see other vancouver devialet people btw

Howdy neighbour,

I'm not generally a 'fuss with the gear' kind of guy, so I have not tried any others. Until the Z3 was recommended I had no thoughts of trying other power cables. If a demo cable had not been available, I probably would have just let the whole thing go by, but it just worked out that Scott at SoundRoom had one. I tried it, and found it well worth keeping.

Possibly others elsewhere will try it and will be able to give more interesting opinions.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Is there someone who have tried the AQ Z3 on the phantoms?
I am very sceptical to supercables and the advertisment for them. Audioquest state that :

"NRG-Z3’s Ground Noise-Dissipation System and direction-controlled Silver-Plated shield conductors efficiently drain RF noise from the line and neutral shields to ground via the third “ground” pin. "

My power cord is ungrounded in both end, that is this statement is not relevant for my connection. As I undertstand a power cable can be grounded in one end, both ends or it can be ungrounded. I have heard some say an ungrounded system gives the most open sound and other say it should be grounded on one side. Has anybody on this forum tested theses options?

And all these Cu qualities is realy hokus pokus for me. Maybe pure gold cables will give best sound?
Expert Pro 220. Dynaudio C1 II. Rega P8. Lyra Delos. Primare BD 32. 
Bought 2 of these for my D440 Pro CI. Without going into superlatives I would just say that I find them very musical. The digital harshness has gone and there is more meat on the bone. That thin coldness has receded to a large extent. Vocal are beautiful, these cables are definitely worth the money.
(02-Nov-2018, 17:34)ThomasD Wrote: I am very sceptical to supercables and the advertisment for them. Audioquest state that :

"NRG-Z3’s Ground Noise-Dissipation System and direction-controlled Silver-Plated shield conductors efficiently drain RF noise from the line and neutral shields to ground via the third “ground” pin. "

My power cord is ungrounded in both end, that is this statement is not relevant for my connection. As I undertstand a power cable can be grounded in one end, both ends or it can be ungrounded. I have heard some say an ungrounded system gives the most open sound and other say it should be grounded on one side. Has anybody on this forum tested theses options?

And all these Cu qualities is realy hokus pokus for me. Maybe pure gold cables will give best sound?

Earth, or ground as you call it, is a safety thing and shouldn't be underestimated. If you have an internal problem with your amp and a phase touches the case, you can get electrocuted if you touch it. The earth connection takes that power away for you so you don't have to cop it. On top of that, there's the safety switch that will cut the power as soon as there's a current going to earth. Anything with a metal body (Fridge, oven, kettle, Devialet Expert!) HAS to have its earth connected.  Believe me, I'm an electrician.  Idea
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(02-Nov-2018, 19:37)Rama Wrote: Bought 2 of these for my D440 Pro CI. Without going into superlatives I would just say that I find them very musical. The digital harshness has gone and there is more meat on the bone. That thin coldness has receded to a large extent. Vocal are beautiful, these cables are definitely worth the money.

It is quite surprising how audible the improvements are when compared to the reasonably low price point.  
(ie: when compared to audiophile nutbar cable prices...a Nordost Valhalla 2 is priced so high that it is usually equal in cost to the component it is connected to)
I’m always curious how this works for countries with only two pins?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(02-Nov-2018, 21:02)Pim Wrote:
(02-Nov-2018, 17:34)ThomasD Wrote: I am very sceptical to supercables and the advertisment for them. Audioquest state that :

Earth, or ground as you call it, is a safety thing and shouldn't be underestimated. If you have an internal problem with your amp and a phase touches the case, you can get electrocuted if you touch it. The earth connection takes that power away for you so you don't have to cop it. On top of that, there's the safety switch that will cut the power as soon as there's a current going to earth. Anything with a metal body (Fridge, oven, kettle, Devialet Expert!) HAS to have its earth connected.  Believe me, I'm an electrician.  Idea

Please note my wall sockets only have two pins and no ground. The two pins are phase and neutral. The neutral is connected to ground in the nearby transformer substation. All my HiFi equipment has been connected that way for 50 years and I am still alive. From the house switchboard there is a ground that goes to kitchen and wet rooms. If I get an earth fault the earth  fault circuit breaker located at the switchboard will immediately operate but that does not require my equipment to be earthed! I am also an electrical engineer so we should speak same language? Huh Wink
Expert Pro 220. Dynaudio C1 II. Rega P8. Lyra Delos. Primare BD 32. 
I have only used my Expert Pro 140 with the Z3. Purchased overseas and needed mains compatible with IS socket. Working with TheCableCo to see if other options below or above the price point (up to $1500) will make a noticeable difference. Their Lending Library program seems excellent. Will be trying the Shunyata Devialet spec for a bit!