Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
CRITICAL Configurator Information
I am writing this thread because in the last few weeks I have had many problems getting my Devialet 440 Expert Pro CI working perfectly.
I am not a stupid person (although I am man and do stupid middle-aged-man things) and so I am hoping to make this plain for all Devialet users to save them the frustrations I have experienced.
Only by standing on the shoulders of giants can one see so far, so I pay homage and refer you to these threads- seminal sources of important information:
Baddog’s Thread
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-AIR-3-Be...5#pid41595
Pim’s thread (with Axel)
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-How-to-c...l-s-method

It seems to me that there have been MULTIPLE threads crying out for help when the Configuration appears to not be working.
eg Nemal1’s problem
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-SAM-work...-unit-only
gtahan’s problem
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Setup-Du...Expert-400
mdconnelly’s problem
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Expert-P...sappearing
MusicFirst’s problem
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Weak-Com...Monoblocks
Carcrashboy’s problem
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Errors-w...ght=chrome
Daniel’s Problem
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Bug-for-...-dual-mono
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Issue-Fi...-Use-Error

I do not pretend to be the first person to discover this, but I have never seen it so bluntly, so here goes:

When you make a Configuration for a Dual-mono system, after you save ONE amp’s Config file (eg Master first), you then go back to save the other, but the CONFIGURATOR WILL CHANGE THAT FILE WITHOUT TELLING YOU. So your second Config file will be rubbish.

Eg in the last few weeks, I have had it change my Ethernet settings, my speaker delay settings, my Chaining Input settings. Drove. Me . Crazy. Thought I had a busted system.
The solution is to follow Pim’s / Axel’s directions to the letter: never reuse an old config file. Start afresh every time, for Master AND then a second time start afresh for the Companion.
When you make one for the Master, make a NEW one from scratch including the Master and Companion and THEN download the Companion one. Otherwise, some Companion settings will be changed.
I saved a Companion file, then went back to the same Configurator screen and simply re-saved it (I changed nothing) and then compared the files using WinMerge. Check this out:
They are DIFFERENT despite me changing nothing:
  "CONTROL_CONFIG":{
    "TRIG_IN_MODE":"DAISY_CHAIN_SLAVE",
    "TRIG_OUT_MODE":"OFF",
    "USB_INIT":"ON",
    "RADIO_CTRL":"OFF",
    "RADIO_MAX_REMOTE":1,
    "WIFI_CTRL":"OFF",
    "BT3_MODE":"MUTE",
    "BT4_MODE":"MENU_TONE",
    "KEY_RADIO":"",
    "RS232_CTRL":"OFF",
    "RS232_BAUDRATE":115200,
    "RS232_ECHO_MODE":"OFF",
    "RS232_CMD_ACK_MODE":"OFF",
    "RS232_AUTO_SEND_STATUS_MODE":"OFF",
    "RS232_TARGET":"Devialet",
    "SPDIF_CTRL":"OFF",

Compared to:
  "CONTROL_CONFIG":{
    "TRIG_IN_MODE":"OFF",
    "TRIG_OUT_MODE":"OFF",
    "USB_INIT":"ON",
    "RADIO_CTRL":"OFF",
    "RADIO_MAX_REMOTE":1,
    "WIFI_CTRL":"OFF",
    "BT3_MODE":"MUTE",
    "BT4_MODE":"MENU_TONE",
    "KEY_RADIO":"",
    "RS232_CTRL":"OFF",
    "RS232_BAUDRATE":115200,
    "RS232_ECHO_MODE":"OFF",
    "RS232_CMD_ACK_MODE":"OFF",
    "RS232_AUTO_SEND_STATUS_MODE":"OFF",
    "RS232_TARGET":"Devialet",
    "SPDIF_CTRL":"ON",

As you can see, this change will result in the “Companion amp won’t act as a Companion” problem
Since I (finally) learned this, every re-configuration has gone smoothly.
All the best.
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
Indeed, the configurator has many problems and a rather bizarre behavior, especially for dual/multiple mono configurations...
However, I have 4 configurations, made a few years ago and which I change from time to time. I never had to make new configurations, except when I wanted to.
I always compared the newly saved configuration file with the old one and found no problems.

This makes me believe that the configurator can have different behaviors with different browsers (I only use Mozilla FireFox).
One more detail: I don't really use the PREVIOUS button after saving a configuration. Instead, I access the configuration page again (from bookmarks). I don't know if that has any impact...

Regarding the multitude of configurations that are set to master, but not to companion (here they remain with the default values), in the end I decided not to use the master / companion configurations, with several masters commanded by the same remote control. The disadvantage of this method is that I can't use the "Devialet Expert Remote" application, but that doesn't affect me.

After all, I think using Pim's / Axel's directions is the safest way.

Enjoy your music! Smile
(20-Feb-2021, 01:30)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: One more detail: I don't really use the PREVIOUS button after saving a configuration. Instead, I access the configuration page again (from bookmarks). I don't know if that has any impact...
Yes, Daniel, I think this is the critical issue- using the "Previous" button that Devialet makes available to go back to the Configurator to download the second device is EXACTLY the problem- that's when the next Config File is corrupted.

The Dev is sounding utterly sensational now- really dialled in and delicious.
But it took me a while to learn all these lessons!!
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
Never had this issue with Safari on Mac.

I believe that I typically use the browser back button to move back to the config screen after having saved the first config file.

Another thing I do is to copy each config file to a dedicated folder structure immediately after each file is created. I don’t attempt to save them directly to the SD card.

I use the Finder after the fact to move the 2 config files stored on SSD to the SD cards.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
I also didn't have this problem with Chrome and I was playing a lot with the Configurator while trying to find optimal low-pass filter frequency for subwoofer.

I'm also using WinMerge to validate my configurations.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

I checked the two settings files today and noticed in line 141 of the master config

"DEFAULT PARAMETERS":
"VOLUME":-35

in the slave config it reads:

"DEFAULT PARAMETERS":
"VOLUME":-40

Is the difference in volume of any consequence?
(16-Aug-2021, 22:19)Mohmm Wrote: I checked the two settings files today and noticed in line 141 of the master config

"DEFAULT PARAMETERS":

"DEFAULT PARAMETERS":

VOLUME is one of the parameters that MASTER must communicate to COMPANION and that works correctly. From what I've seen, the same goes for STARTUP VOLUME.
The difference in the configuration files seems to have no consequences.
However, this can be easily verified: check the value of the volume displayed on the display when starting the amplifier; should be the same value at MASTER and COMPANION.
Of course, it would have been much more elegant for the values in the two configuration files to be identical.
(17-Aug-2021, 03:26)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote:
(16-Aug-2021, 22:19)Mohmm Wrote: I checked the two settings files today and noticed in line 141 of the master config

"DEFAULT PARAMETERS":

"DEFAULT PARAMETERS":

VOLUME is one of the parameters that MASTER must communicate to COMPANION and that works correctly. From what I've seen, the same goes for STARTUP VOLUME.
The difference in the configuration files seems to have no consequences.
However, this can be easily verified: check the value of the volume displayed on the display when starting the amplifier; should be the same value at MASTER and COMPANION.
Of course, it would have been much more elegant for the values in the two configuration files to be identical.

That's the startup volume... Thanks.
Ver

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk
(20-Jun-2023, 23:42)ruivilar Wrote: Ver

Enviado do meu iPad usando o Tapatalk

Ver indeed
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.