Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Cartridges and phono settings
Hello. I have a Thorens TD-160 with a Pickering XV15/1200E. I know little to nothing about the technical side of electronics, and I'd really appreciate your advice for configurator settings. Per the NOS spec sheet:

DCF Value = 1200
Stylus Radius = Elliptical .0002 x .0007
Tracking Force = 0.5 - 1.25 g
Nominal frequency response 10 to 30,000 Hz
Nominal Output 4.4 mV
Nominal channel separation 35 dB

Thanks for the help.
Audiolab 6000CDT, Innuos Zenith MK II, Roon, Synology NAS, D250 Pro CI, Graham Audio Chartwell LS6f, Thorens TD-160, Pickering XV-15 1200e
(13-Apr-2019, 09:22)Phillid Wrote:
(26-Feb-2016, 12:29)KraaijCheck Wrote:
(22-Jan-2016, 10:54)no32 Wrote: Anyone has experience the linn kandid with the Devialet. Someone told me it match only linn phono stage ...

No experience with the Kandid. I own the Adikt and find it a good match with the Devialet. Still searching for the best setting. I now have set it to:
Phono Model: -
Cartridge Type: MM
Channels: Stereo
Max Level: 5.5 mVrms
Loading: High Ω 200pF
Auto Wifi Standby: On
Startup curve: RIAA1976
Sampling Rate: 96kHz

Any advise guys?

I am having the same issue with adikit set up. Did you get your settings sorted?

I only changed the Loading to 100pF.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(08-Mar-2015, 17:53)f1eng Wrote: My normal preference is usually around 10x the generator impedance, though I prefer even more using a matched step-up transformer into the MM input Smile

Matching meaning a SUT from the same manufacturer as the cart?
(29-Jul-2019, 15:48)watchnerd Wrote:
(08-Mar-2015, 17:53)f1eng Wrote: My normal preference is usually around 10x the generator impedance, though I prefer even more using a matched step-up transformer into the MM input Smile

Matching meaning a SUT from the same manufacturer as the cart?
In my case it always has been - Frank
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

SUT’s work but provide inbalance across the frequency range. They are not linear. The real solution is a separate dedicated phonostage with sufficient gain to allow good signal to your amps line stage input. Mathieu Pernot recently told me this was a ridiculous solution to my hiss on the Devialet phonostage albeit there are plenty of other Devialet users of various models who are troubled by this hiss, particularly with low output MC cartridges. I understand Mathieu has already been sent some file recordings of this hiss and my recording will follow soon. Let’s hope that what he says when he has analysed these recorded files is helpful. I am willing to accept my use of an external phonostage is ridiculous if he can make my Devialet stage quiet as he indicated at Oxford Audio Consultants a couple of weeks ago. He said, if it hisses, it’s wrong and needs attention. I remain overly sceptical because of the number of people who also report the same problem.

We’ll see, but to be honest, under the apparent current company climate, I’m not holding my breath.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
(01-Aug-2019, 21:54)Greg Wrote: SUT’s work but provide inbalance across the frequency range. They are not linear. The real solution is a separate dedicated phonostage with sufficient gain to allow good signal to your amps line stage input. Mathieu Pernot recently told me this was a ridiculous solution to my hiss on the Devialet phonostage albeit there are plenty of other Devialet users of various models who are troubled by this hiss, particularly with low output MC cartridges. I understand Mathieu has already been sent some file recordings of this hiss and my recording will follow soon. Let’s hope that what he says when he has analysed these recorded files is helpful. I am willing to accept my use of an external phonostage is ridiculous if he can make my Devialet stage quiet as he indicated at Oxford Audio Consultants a couple of weeks ago. He said, if it hisses, it’s wrong and needs attention. I remain overly sceptical because of the number of people who also report the same problem.

We’ll see, but to be honest, under the apparent current company climate, I’m not holding my breath.

Adding an active stage before the Devialet is highly unlikely to reduce hiss, and is fairly likely to increase it due to having two active gain stages. It's just the nature of active electronics.

SUTs do reduce hiss, for sure, but as you point out, you have to play with loading to get everything dialed in correctly to make it as linear as possible. Unless you like using SUTs as a tone control...some people do, but that's not my goal.

The lesson: there is no free lunch / perfect solution.
(02-Aug-2019, 15:14)watchnerd Wrote:
(01-Aug-2019, 21:54)Greg Wrote: SUT’s work but provide inbalance across the frequency range. They are not linear. The real solution is a separate dedicated phonostage with sufficient gain to allow good signal to your amps line stage input. Mathieu Pernot recently told me this was a ridiculous solution to my hiss on the Devialet phonostage albeit there are plenty of other Devialet users of various models who are troubled by this hiss, particularly with low output MC cartridges. I understand Mathieu has already been sent some file recordings of this hiss and my recording will follow soon. Let’s hope that what he says when he has analysed these recorded files is helpful. I am willing to accept my use of an external phonostage is ridiculous if he can make my Devialet stage quiet as he indicated at Oxford Audio Consultants a couple of weeks ago. He said, if it hisses, it’s wrong and needs attention. I remain overly sceptical because of the number of people who also report the same problem.

Adding an active stage before the Devialet is highly unlikely to reduce hiss, and is fairly likely to increase it due to having two active gain stages. It's just the nature of active electronics.

SUTs do reduce hiss, for sure, but as you point out, you have to play with loading to get everything dialed in correctly to make it as linear as possible.  Unless you like using SUTs as a tone control...some people do, but that's not my goal.

I don’t agree. I have used two external phono stages into the Devialet line input and there is no noticeable hiss in the listening position when the volume is cranked up. In contrast, the Devialet built in stage is extremely hissy. After all, the Devialet phono input for MC cartridges must be subject of a gain stage to make any music listenable. The current Devialet phono stage is unacceptably noisy IMHO. Until they fix it, I’ll stick with my external stage even if Mathieu Pernot considers it a ridiculous choice, because it works and vinyl playback is a joy. To be honest, I’m not surprised the Devialet stage is noisy considering how packed in all the components must be. Historically, good quiet phonostages tend to have power supply circuitry and signal circuitry spread and distanced. Something not possible in a Devialet.

I think we agree on SUT’s. You’ll never get them to produce a linear signal across all the frequencies. A balanced gain stage can be the only option.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
(02-Aug-2019, 21:15)Greg Wrote:
(02-Aug-2019, 15:14)watchnerd Wrote:

SUTs do reduce hiss, for sure, but as you point out, you have to play with loading to get everything dialed in correctly to make it as linear as possible.  Unless you like using SUTs as a tone control...some people do, but that's not my goal.

I don’t agree. I have used two external phono stages into the Devialet line input and there is no noticeable hiss in the listening position when the volume is cranked up. In contrast, the Devialet built in stage is extremely hissy. After all, the Devialet phono input for MC cartridges must be subject of a gain stage to make any music listenable. The current Devialet phono stage is unacceptably noisy IMHO. Until they fix it, I’ll stick with my external stage even if Mathieu Pernot considers it a ridiculous choice, because it works and vinyl playback is a joy. To be honest, I’m not surprised the Devialet stage is noisy considering how packed in all the components must be. Historically, good quiet phonostages tend to have power supply circuitry and signal circuitry spread and distanced. Something not possible in a Devialet.

I think we agree on SUT’s. You’ll never get them to produce a linear signal across all the frequencies. A balanced gain stage can be the only option.

You may be lucky that in your particular system, with your speaker sensitivity, that you have been lucky and active stage has worked out to be quieter. Therefore you may not be able to hear it. However, with measuring gear, I assure you it's there.

As a matter of physics, active amplifications systems add noise. This isn't really a debate. It's known science.
I have used Linn Uphorik RIAA and is was totally silent and the sound was great.
Mabye a sut is not perfect , but it remove the hiss , and that is good for me , but it Would be perfect if devialet could fix the phonostage ,so it could work Without hiss ,When you use low input MC cartridge .
AVM  8.3  Rosso volterra 2 ,speaker cable and other cable audio note , turntable tt2 de luxe , caridge clearaudio carisma mm, primare bd mrk 2 shyunata power generator,