Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Core Infinity board
Ah cheers. Sounds like the web server has no content yet. I guess a subsequent firmware/CI board update will bring this.  I still reckon they will use the webserver for configuration purposes ( run a configurator locally?). Seems daft not to.
I am reading that there is a second USB port with the infinity core board. What type is it: USB-B like the one already existing or A which could allow to use USB sticks, drives and even SD cards if OS/software supported which would more significantly change functionality.
(08-Nov-2017, 18:27)Music or sound Wrote: I am reading that there is a second USB port with the infinity core board. What type is it: USB-B like the one already existing or A which could allow to use USB sticks, drives and even SD cards if OS/software supported which would more significantly change functionality.

No, there are two USB inputs in the menu of the software but there is no secondary physical option on the device. Only available USB port on the device is the USB B port that we had in the past.
(14-Nov-2017, 15:47)ada Wrote:
(08-Nov-2017, 18:27)Music or sound Wrote: I am reading that there is a second USB port with the infinity core board. What type is it: USB-B like the one already existing or A which could allow to use USB sticks, drives and even SD cards if OS/software supported which would more significantly change functionality.

No, there are two USB inputs in the menu of the software but there is no secondary physical option on the device. Only available USB port on the device is the USB B port that we had in the past.

That means it can not support external USB drives (or thumb drives/SD card readers) directly and therefore the core infinity board is not adding real streamer function!
(14-Nov-2017, 17:03)Music or sound Wrote:

That means it can not support external USB drives (or thumb drives/SD card readers) directly and therefore the core infinity board is not adding real streamer function!

I think you mean it is not acting as a server. My first streamer was a Linn Akurate DS and it did not have any usb input and I'm not sure that they do now. Linn were amongst the first to get streaming right and decided it should be by ethernet. They were probably correct as the sound is probably optimal that way. As far as I am concerned, streaming is about sending to the unit by ethernet and wifi. My 250 Pro does that now, hopefully it will do it better with IC. With the promised unPNP/DLNA I would hope to be able to connect my network server.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(14-Nov-2017, 20:33)ssfas Wrote:
(14-Nov-2017, 17:03)Music or sound Wrote:
(14-Nov-2017, 15:47)ada Wrote: No, there are two USB inputs in the menu of the software but there is no secondary physical option on the device. Only available USB port on the device is the USB B port that we had in the past.

I think you mean it is not acting as a server. My first streamer was a Linn Akurate DS and it did not have any usb input and I'm not sure that they do now. Linn were amongst the first to get streaming right and decided it should be by ethernet. They were probably correct as the sound is probably optimal that way. As far as I am concerned, streaming is about sending to the unit by ethernet and wifi. My 250 Pro does that now, hopefully it will do it better with IC. With the promised unPNP/DLNA I would hope to be able to connect my network server.

There is no doubt the CI board has a NGINX server up and running. It doesn't serve any web based application (or I couldn't find the correct page/port to reach the app) for now. I am expecting, the software will be capable to stream certain type of media formats and any file server like samba will be mountable via ethernet/wifi. But unfortunately, there is no USB port for any thump/hdd/ssd drive on the unit. There are lots of good web based player UIs. (RuneAudio) Maybe they strategically trying to beat any kind of streaming device/software to cover that side of the product line.

Actually, with a low latency/real time kernel and MPD based player, you can beat any kind of external streaming device/software as your signal path is going to be shorter (and also jitter won't be an issue) than any kind of external solution. It would be great to see something like AP Linux or RuneAudio runs directly in the Devialet unit.

I am waiting and keep dreaming about a solid and competitive software.
I have been eyeing the dCS Network streamer for a while since as an ex-dCS owner I have great faith in their products which ooze quality and support. If there is one streamer that I get it would be that one.

However, I have been holding that off in anticipation of the Core Infinity board, which presumably would bring direct streaming to the next level sonically?

For those smarter than me, is it correct to assume that direct streaming into the Devialet should in theory sound the best, in comparison to streaming to a high end streamer and connect back to the Devialet via SPDIF or AES?

In other words, provided that streaming works perfectly, is using a second box a waste of money?
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

(15-Nov-2017, 04:58)agentsmith Wrote: I have been eyeing the dCS Network streamer for a while since as an ex-dCS owner I have great faith in their products which ooze quality and support.  If there is one streamer that I get it would be that one.

However, I have been holding that off in anticipation of the Core Infinity board, which presumably would bring direct streaming to the next level sonically?

For those smarter than me, is it correct to assume that direct streaming into the Devialet should in theory sound the best, in comparison to streaming to a high end streamer and connect back to the Devialet via SPDIF or AES?

In other words, provided that streaming works perfectly, is using a second box a waste of money?

I asked Devialet on the CI Log whether there were any sound quality improvements with the new board and got no reply. So time will tell.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(14-Nov-2017, 17:03)Music or sound Wrote:

I don't understand this logic.

Since when does being a 'real streamer' mean accessing a thumb drive?
(15-Nov-2017, 04:58)agentsmith Wrote: For those smarter than me, is it correct to assume that direct streaming into the Devialet should in theory sound the best, in comparison to streaming to a high end streamer and connect back to the Devialet via SPDIF or AES?

There are lots of different things playing a role on that but in theory yes, it can be better than the external devices. But as I said, there are lots of different elements on this like:

-Power management
-Isolation of the different components of the boards (CI has lots of features and components, I am very curious how are they dealing with different noise factors of those components)
-Component quality
-Limited physical space for the internal board
-Software quality of the external solution vs internal solution
-Personal taste, DSP operations
and more...

I am waiting for the same that you are waiting, I am planning to buy a streaming unit depends on CI solution. We won't know until we see the real potential/power of the CI board. But it is a powerful device, it has a potential to be enough good to cover the streaming unit part. But again, we have to wait.