Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOS2 - Impressions?
I upgraded around 1 month ago. Before upgrading my two gold phantoms were mostly stable, with only the occasional power cycle needed for the dialog, and never any LR sync/echo problems.

Since upgrading, I've experienced several sync/echo events, and many more "no sound" events requiring power cycle of both the dialog and phantoms.
(02-Jan-2020, 21:11)NevB Wrote: I upgraded around 1 month ago. Before upgrading my two gold phantoms were mostly stable, with only the occasional power cycle needed for the dialog, and never any LR sync/echo problems.

Since upgrading, I've experienced several sync/echo events, and many more "no sound" events requiring power cycle of both the dialog and phantoms.
Suggest contacting Devialet Support and they can then enable a firmware upgrade which fixes problem.
(03-Jan-2020, 01:04)Snoopy8 Wrote: Suggest contacting Devialet Support and they can then enable a firmware upgrade which fixes problem.

I'm running 2.8.5.

Is there a newer version?
(03-Jan-2020, 07:40)NevB Wrote:
(03-Jan-2020, 01:04)Snoopy8 Wrote: Suggest contacting Devialet Support and they can then enable a firmware upgrade which fixes problem.

I'm running 2.8.5.

Is there a newer version?
Not sure why the reluctance to contact Support?  They are best placed to resolve the problem.
(01-Nov-2019, 11:43)hydr Wrote: Hi,

I´m holding of upgrading due various reasons, but I´m curious as to what DOS2 brings and feels like for you guys. 

Can those of you who upgraded say a little about how happy you are 0-10 and explain a bit how it was before and what you like/don´t like now?

Thanks!

Happy : 0
I wish i would have waited, or would rollback to DOS1 if i could.
Reliably is poor. 
I have reset the system 4 times today (1 week after upgrading). 
The first week was ok, but can't assume a configuration working under DOS1 is good for DOS2.
I am sure its all or mostly networking related.

BUT the only networking gear i have that does not know how to network are these network speakers. (*&@#

1) touch my phone everytime i wanted to use the system. even though i only use 1 input and have a physical remote for volume.
2) can no longer get the remote to pair.

Some observations:

1) Intermittently Power is lost or the power curve on the volue is off. Volume is low.
Observed twice and it required a complete system reset to recover.

Reference point:  50 sounded more like 30 and 30 sounded was more like 5!!!!!! 
This was happening in a stereo pair and with only 1
In this case the sound was OK just really low amplitude. 
I thit this twice today.
Both times required completely resetting the system to recover.

2)Hit this twice, one of the stereo pair disappears and requires removing the devices and setting them up again twice to resolve.  The app can never find the speaker until everything is reset.
Frustrating to put it politely. 

3) hit this twice today, sometimes sounds like an old school AM transistor radio.
Compressed bandwidth, tinny sound, ZERO low end. Seriously terrible sound like a little AM transistor radio sound terrible!
Resetting the system resolved. but hit this when i was trying to resolve a missing phantom.

4) Once have experienced getting some very Weird Artifact pulses alternating from left to right speaker. 
Pulses of sounds (just a little blip of the song with some trailing static) alternating left to right.
Like you are cranking balance Left and right and the volume up and down at the same time, about once per second or so.
Pan Left, Volume UP, Volume Down, Pan Right, Volume Up, Volume Down, Pan Left, Volume Up, Down, etc, etc...
Did another system reset to resolve but only seen this once so far.

5) Can not pair the remote.
It was originally working but after the multiple resets can no longer figure out how to get the remote to pair.
and the article on the site says to RESET EVERYTHING when this happens. wtf. that's what i just did... ?

I have reset the system more times today than i ever had to when everything was buggy in 2015.

If i could go back to DOS1 i would.

Devialet APP Wish List:

Make it so you can pick an input and it just stays fixed on that input. 

UX Usability issue: if you EXCLUSIVELY use the dialog input one has to scroll to the right Skipping over the plethora of other inputs to AUX then again skip over Phantom Left and Right Optical inputs that are not used to get to the Dialog optical input...
Design Consideration: Let the customer arrange the order of the inputs as to what is important to them, i.e. put the MOST USED input, in the LEFT MOST, MOST significant location.  or order them via recent or frequent use.
As it is i skip over options i don't want to see (streaming and upnp) to get to what i do want AUX.

Additional ASK:  Either make the input *sticky* so i never have to *re-select* the input after it has been selected, never ever - the opposite of AUTO-Select.

Previously under DOS1, i was using AUTO-SELECT input to keep the dialog playing. it mostly works, or at least used to most of the time just start playing the dialog under DOS1 and it would keep playing.
Rarely i would have to launch spark and select the input to add it back to the queue and play..

Now with DOS2, i find i need to go find my phone, fire up the app, and poke the Dialog Optical button even though NO OTHER INPUT HAS BEEN USED, EVERY TIME I want sound to come out of the speakers

THAT IS IF I CAN GET ANY SOUND TO COME OUT AT ALL WITHOUT RESETTING AND FIDDLING FOR 5 or 15 MINUTES!

frustrated to say the least...

regards
scott-
Wow - I'm glad I chose to wait this one out...
(08-Jan-2020, 10:50)n0gga Wrote: Wow - ik ben blij dat ik ervoor heb gekozen om hier op te wachten ...

me too!
(08-Jan-2020, 07:52)scotthar Wrote: Happy : 0
I wish i would have waited, or would rollback to DOS1 if i could.
Reliably is poor. 
I have reset the system 4 times today (1 week after upgrading). 
The first week was ok, but can't assume a configuration working under DOS1 is good for DOS2.
I am sure its all or mostly networking related.

BUT the only networking gear i have that does not know how to network are these network speakers. (*&@#

1) touch my phone everytime i wanted to use the system. even though i only use 1 input and have a physical remote for volume.
2) can no longer get the remote to pair.

Some observations:

1) Intermittently Power is lost or the power curve on the volue is off. Volume is low.
Observed twice and it required a complete system reset to recover.

Reference point:  50 sounded more like 30 and 30 sounded was more like 5!!!!!! 
This was happening in a stereo pair and with only 1
In this case the sound was OK just really low amplitude. 
I thit this twice today.
Both times required completely resetting the system to recover.

2)Hit this twice, one of the stereo pair disappears and requires removing the devices and setting them up again twice to resolve.  The app can never find the speaker until everything is reset.

3) hit this twice today, sometimes sounds like an old school AM transistor radio.
Compressed bandwidth, tinny sound, ZERO low end. Seriously terrible sound like a little AM transistor radio sound terrible!
Resetting the system resolved. but hit this when i was trying to resolve a missing phantom.

4) Once have experienced getting some very Weird Artifact pulses alternating from left to right speaker. 
Pulses of sounds (just a little blip of the song with some trailing static) alternating left to right.
Like you are cranking balance Left and right and the volume up and down at the same time, about once per second or so.
Pan Left, Volume UP, Volume Down, Pan Right, Volume Up, Volume Down, Pan Left, Volume Up, Down, etc, etc...
Did another system reset to resolve but only seen this once so far.

5) Can not pair the remote.
It was originally working but after the multiple resets can no longer figure out how to get the remote to pair.
and the article on the site says to RESET EVERYTHING when this happens. wtf. that's what i just did... ?

I have reset the system more times today than i ever had to when everything was buggy in 2015.

If i could go back to DOS1 i would.

Devialet APP Wish List:

Make it so you can pick an input and it just stays fixed on that input. 

UX Usability issue: if you EXCLUSIVELY use the dialog input one has to scroll to the right Skipping over the plethora of other inputs to AUX then again skip over Phantom Left and Right Optical inputs that are not used to get to the Dialog optical input...
Design Consideration: Let the customer arrange the order of the inputs as to what is important to them, i.e. put the MOST USED input, in the LEFT MOST, MOST significant location.  or order them via recent or frequent use.
As it is i skip over options i don't want to see (streaming and upnp) to get to what i do want AUX.

Additional ASK:  Either make the input *sticky* so i never have to *re-select* the input after it has been selected, never ever - the opposite of AUTO-Select.

Previously under DOS1, i was using AUTO-SELECT input to keep the dialog playing. it mostly works, or at least used to most of the time just start playing the dialog under DOS1 and it would keep playing.
Rarely i would have to launch spark and select the input to add it back to the queue and play..

Now with DOS2, i find i need to go find my phone, fire up the app, and poke the Dialog Optical button even though NO OTHER INPUT HAS BEEN USED, EVERY TIME I want sound to come out of the speakers

THAT IS IF I CAN GET ANY SOUND TO COME OUT AT ALL WITHOUT RESETTING AND FIDDLING FOR 5 or 15 MINUTES!

frustrated to say the least...

regards
scott-

I hope you have sent your feedback to Devialet directly as they might not read it here and not consider that they are addressed.
It sounds that it is better to wait with migration, even if Qobuz has announced they stop supporting DOS1. For now it still works and DOS1 still works.
I‘m really sorry for you and all that made the migration when their system was stable and reliably working.
I hope DOS2 will become stable and reliable too as DOS1 did for me. I might switch once RAAT is implemented stable in Phantoms and with multi-room and multi-speaker feature.
Upnp in my network has drop-outs when playing hi-res to multiple speakers, therefore is not and never was a reliable steaming option.
(08-Jan-2020, 12:22)streamy Wrote: I hope you have sent your feedback to Devialet directly as they might not read it here and not consider that they are addressed.
It sounds that it is better to wait with migration, even if Qobuz has announced they stop supporting DOS1. For now it still works and DOS1 still works.
I‘m really sorry for you and all that made the migration when their system was stable and reliably working.
I hope DOS2 will become stable and reliable too as DOS1 did for me. I might switch once RAAT is implemented stable in Phantoms and with multi-room and multi-speaker feature.
Upnp in my network has drop-outs when playing hi-res to multiple speakers, therefore is not and never was a reliable steaming option.

Ya, am in contact with support , thanks for the reminder will copy these observations over to them directly.

Apparently the suggestion to reset the system in order to get the remote pairing - works if you do it enough, or do it correctly, not sure which it is yet...

As an update:
Turned everything off (including the router and WIFI AP for this segment) and left it alone... came back.
Pretty basic setup, a router with an AP, a switch with all of the devialet gear and the media player/server on the switch.
Turned things back on one at a time starting with the router, switch, then the devialet gear and resetting the phantoms one more time.
Interesting enough trying to find the source of a rouge MAC address popping up here unexpectedly led me to discover i was not unplugging my dialog when i thought i was...
I did find my Dialog was plugged into a different outlet from the strip for the phantoms. and when i was unplugging the dialogs, i assumed that was also unplugging the dialog.
But it was not.

Perhaps that is the lesson learnt, -**power cycle everything and/OR unplug the dialog ** - Power cycle on the dialog not just triggering a reset via the button might be a difference.

After the "clean?" "power EVERYTHING off" reset today  - noticed remote pairing cause the speakers to react - they were not reacting when pairing was not working.

Net net - its working for now...after several more resets.
So far only once today, and i think it might even sound better today... volume as expected, tones are nice.
but maybe that is just from the relieve that music is coming out.... Smile

and thanks for the reminder to copy this over to the support thread.

regards
scott-
Spoke tooo soon.
by updated response to support.

The phantom remote is not pairing again.
Everything was working, playing fine for several hours.
I paused it did some other stuff.
Came back.
The remote can no longer connect.
I see 4 fast blinking lights when I move it or try to pair.
The speakers do not respond.

I also notice every time i open the Devialet app , the speakers are missing.
I choose the option to find speakers already setup.
This time it found them and they seem to work.
But still cant pair the remote.
Will limp along like this until i get forced to do the setup again anyway.....

But about half of the time so far it cannot find the speakers and I end up rebooting things or resetting if the reboot does not work.
Rebooting and setting up every time I use the speakers seems to be the normal situation here.
I hope there is something that the engineering team can find and fix soon.