Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOS2 - Impressions?
I upgraded one gold , no issue at all sounds
no buzz noise anymore, I can still hear a little big when my ear touch the gold but way better than before
(19-Nov-2019, 18:15)struts Wrote: Just wanted to post my initial impressions on DOS 2 after upgrading my setup consisting of 2x 2017 Phantom Golds (traded in my original Phantoms in the "Gold my Phantom" campaign almost exactly 2 years ago).  Didn't bother upgrading my Dialog as it is no longer required for my config and quite frankly I was always concerned about the fire risk.  Just by way of background I should say the speakers are run as a stereo pair in our dining room/family room and not really used for critical listening.  My use cases are:
1. As a Spotify endpoint for the kids
2. As a Roon endpoint for background music and internet radio
So all sources are streamed and I don't require any physical inputs.

I have to say, so far I'm pretty pleased:
+ Upgrade process was simple and completely problem-free.  
+ The new app is really slick.  Nice UI and (so far) glitch free.
+ Streaming from my iPhone via Airplay and BlueTooth are working flawlessly
+ Pairing the upgraded Phantoms was painless and I have suffered no balance problems or "cathedral effects"
+ Managed to pair my Devialet "hand cream" remote on the first attempt (never succeeded with DOS 1)
+ The sound, especially on hi res material, is fantastic.  I can't swear if it is better than the same setup with DOS 1 as I don't really use this system for critical listening
+ No more Spark!
+ No more Dialog!!

- Still getting spontaneous cut-offs on UPnP.  I am using Roon so have to use SonoreUPnP Bridge on my sonicTransporter to protocol convert from SqueezeLite to UPnP.  The bridge finds the Phantoms with no problem at all, but playback cuts off after a certain amount of time (track-dependent) which "feels" like a buffer is slowly filling up and then overflowing.  So this could always be a SonoreUPnP Bridge problem.  If I have time I will try different UPnP servers/controllers to see if I can reproduce.
- No Roon RAAT yet, but we never expected that in the first release.

All-in-all I would say that the DOS 2 experience is a night-and-day improvement on any previous Devialet software effort.  If they are able to add functionality without compromising quality this will be a real winner.  At last it feels like the potential of this fantastic hardware is on the verge of being realised.  Thank you Devialet and please keep up the good work!

I understand that many others haven't had a smooth a journey and they have my fullest sympathy.  As always, ymmv.

Brief update.  I updated my Audirvana installation to 3.5.26 and configured it to stream Qobuz via UPnP to the Phantoms.  The same 16/44.1 Haydn Symphony test tracks that were cutting off after about 2 minutes when streamed via Roon/SonoreUPnP are playing without problem via Audirvana so on the face of it this might be be a SonoreUPnP Bridge issue.  I will report to Jesus at Sonore and revert with any findings.
For those on DOS2, are you getting regular firmware updates now?
(25-Nov-2019, 10:14)hydr Wrote: For those on DOS2, are you getting regular firmware updates now?

Not yet. But I don't expect updates every 2 weeks. As they said on their article about the cathedral effect :

"We aim to provide a solution as quickly as possible to the small number of people affected, without waiting for the next software update, which still requires several weeks of testing."

Several weeks of testing, add to that several weeks of development...

The updates will come probably every few months.
(25-Nov-2019, 10:14)hydr Wrote: For those on DOS2, are you getting regular firmware updates now?

No, at least not yet.  Per the above, some people (apparently not all) who are affected by the stereo balance/sync problems are being selectively provided access to 2.8.5.  Most people seem to be on the initial release, which for the vast majority is 2.8.3, although a small number of users are reporting certain units on 2.8.1 which might be required for certain early hardware version(s).

It remains to be seen how regular/frequent these releases will be.  Looking back at Spark, I downloaded 12 releases between September 2015 (1.3.0) and October 2017 (1.11.0), an average of roughly a release every other month.  On this cadence the next DOS release would fall around the beginning of January.
Upgraded my two Golds a week ago and it worked perfectly so far... Got rid of the Dialog and also some Airplay stability issues seems to be gone. 
Only “issue” is lack of hi-resolution support over with Tidal etc.
But Airplay stability improvement and getting rid of Dialog wins over hi-res support for now! ?
I upgraded my pair of Silver and Dialog to DOS 2.8.5 yesterday.

I rarely used Spark, and mostly mConnect / UPnP already (Spark is awful. mConnect is too but it's a bit more usable and supports Plex...) so nothing changed in my habits.
Remote still works fine, no need to re-pair it after the upgrade.
The new Devialet app is nice, but very basic. I hope they add more features soon, like the EQ and configuring inputs (names, different EQs, …)!
I haven't noticed any differences in the sound.
I had some annoying drops on the optical inputs with DOS 1. Now theses drops seems to be gone (I'm using the optical inputs on Dialog (turntable) and on a silver (tv)) but maybe it's too early to tell.
2x Phantom Silver [Eth] + Remote — DOS 2.12.5
+ Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Ortofon 2M Black) with Pro-ject Tube Box S2 + Swissonic Converter AD 24/192
The apps is wayyyy better than the old one.
Sound is much more improved.

But i do experience optical sound dropout once since update

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like the majority of users upgraded and are fairly happy. 

My entire music collection is in FLAC 24/192 - its located on a NAS (2TB) and I am having no issues since I ended up having to wire (ethernet) my 7 Phantoms. I have been trying to add some upnp server and try different apps, but its all pretty terrible - hence why I am waiting. 

Maybe I should try Audiorvana next as it seems to be highly recommended - but that would require a Mac I think. Does it need optical input as well?