Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DOS2 - Impressions?
Spark was a way forward and now it seems as though they've thrown in the towel on something that was part of the system I paid for. I'm not upgrading but feel the current offering is feature poorer and who the hell in serious HiFi listens to Airplay!!

I hope that support and downloads remain for SPARK and dialog, and that login changes are kept up to date with Qobuz etc and that my SPARK on MAC will continue to be patched as Apple constantly updates security patched/authentication.

The top feature of SPARK and Dialog is that my laptop didn't have to be a conduit for music data from NAS drive to radio and playback services. With UPNP and my mac being the centre of data flow my wifi is loaded to the max needing ethernet connection to download from the network/internet transfer to my pc and then to the Dialog often causing dropouts with high res music. Previously the dialog and phantoms did all of that themselves, Wonderfull!

Seeing reviews of sound character changes. Have they actually done this at the same time? It would be crazy to put all that out at the same time; anyway my Phantoms Golds have always sounded great even better than my silvers, however sound quality SQ is subjective and risks being deemed as much as a downgrade or an upgrade depending on your listening preferences. How can you improve on perfection? I'm not switching now with no way back until technical SQ improvements can be subjectively proved and auditioned.

I agree with many that Devialet know their weaknesses in software and thermal management of the Dialog design, but thats what they're paid to do with our money and giving up all together and the cynical spin put out by them to upgrade doesn't sit to well with me.

Bit of a rant but expect more in terms of functionality rather than less. I was looking forward to Highresaudio support from within the system but Devialet might as well gone pop and left Spark user to fend for themselves until all grinds to a halt.
Since I´am not gonna upgrade for a while, may I ask those who upgraded if anyone can please check the standby wattage of the Phantoms? 

In the last 4 years I have constantly hoped they would improve sleep/standby watt usage - after each firmware I check how much power they draw with almost no change. 

But maybe with DOS2? Can someone check how much wattage they use in standby mode? Thanks
How much do they use?
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime
(14-Nov-2019, 19:28)superstock Wrote: Spark was a way forward and now it seems as though they've thrown in the towel on something that was part of the system I paid for. I'm not upgrading but feel the current offering is feature poorer and who the hell in serious HiFi listens to Airplay!!

I hope that support and downloads remain for SPARK and dialog, and that login changes are kept up to date with Qobuz etc and that my SPARK on MAC will continue to be patched as Apple constantly updates security patched/authentication.

The top feature of SPARK and Dialog is that my laptop didn't have to be a conduit for music data from NAS drive to radio and playback services. With UPNP and my mac being the centre of data flow my wifi is loaded to the max needing ethernet connection to download from the network/internet transfer to my pc and then to the Dialog often causing dropouts with high res music. Previously the dialog and phantoms did all of that themselves, Wonderfull!

Seeing reviews of sound character changes. Have they actually done this at the same time? It would be crazy to put all that out at the same time; anyway my Phantoms Golds have always sounded great even better than my silvers, however sound quality SQ is subjective and risks being deemed as much as a downgrade or an upgrade depending on your listening preferences. How can you improve on perfection? I'm not switching now with no way back until technical SQ improvements can be subjectively proved and auditioned.

I agree with many that Devialet know their weaknesses in software and thermal management of the Dialog design, but thats what they're paid to do with our money and giving up all together and the cynical spin put out by them to upgrade doesn't sit to well with me.

Bit of a rant but expect more in terms of functionality rather than less. I was looking forward to Highresaudio support from within the system but Devialet might as well gone pop and left Spark user to fend for themselves until all grinds to a halt.

i am also shocked at the lack of support for Tidal and other direct streaming sources again i agree with you , This is what i paid for.... They will not keep 2 systems updated as it will cost too much in resources so everyone will move to DDS2 
(10-Nov-2019, 15:46)thieums Wrote: Hello,
2 silver and a dialog setup with Android controler.
After upgrading thé devices, Devialet app cannot recognize my setup.
I just opened a TT to Devialet.
Of course I tried to reset some times the devices without success.
I Can see the 3 devices on my IP network with http interface working, displaying 2.8.3 firmware.
Mathieu
That's exactly what happened to me as well. It's a nightmare. Devialet is on my case, very responsive, extremely nice and helpful with the issue...but still the issue is there. I wanted to be part of a trial so I cannot complain. 
After upgrading only Spotify works. The airplay is sometimes recognized from Iphone but renamed when using Qobuz for instance. Never did it work on Mac. Everytime I quit my wifi, my devialet app kindly ask me to set up the new product. Which I have to do, basically everynight when going home. It may take up to 5 triasl before I can have a proper set up in stereo that ONLY works with Spotify...thank you for the HQ sound....I ll have to wait for that.
Coming back to sound quality. My first impressions was the sound was better, a wider stage...well it happend to be Catherale sound due to delay in between the speakers. very tiny though and disturbing with voices less with instruments. At times very obvious and at others unnoticeable. Recently it seems to have disappear...since I set up my Gold Phantom every night, maybe it turned out to be correct. So, it's not perfect yet, but I know Devialet is working seriously on the case and communicate on daily basis with me. At least there's a Customer Service. will keep you posted.
Seems I am lucky to have got Phantoms from the first production which can't be updated!
I am pretty happy with my system so have no desire to change anything, so that is fine.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(15-Nov-2019, 12:16)hydr Wrote: Since I´am not gonna upgrade for a while, may I ask those who upgraded if anyone can please check the standby wattage of the Phantoms? 

In the last 4 years I have constantly hoped they would improve sleep/standby watt usage - after each firmware I check how much power they draw with almost no change. 

But maybe with DOS2? Can someone check how much wattage they use in standby mode? Thanks

Interesting question @hydr.  I have a power meter plug but it turns out the batteries are dead.  I have ordered some more and will get back to you in a few days.
(15-Nov-2019, 12:16)hydr Wrote: Since I´am not gonna upgrade for a while, may I ask those who upgraded if anyone can please check the standby wattage of the Phantoms? 

Couldn't wait, bought some batteries at the hardware store.  My Gold Phantom is drawing a pretty constant 19W in standby.  Sad @DesertEagleAZ fyi
Just wanted to post my initial impressions on DOS 2 after upgrading my setup consisting of 2x 2017 Phantom Golds (traded in my original Phantoms in the "Gold my Phantom" campaign almost exactly 2 years ago).  Didn't bother upgrading my Dialog as it is no longer required for my config and quite frankly I was always concerned about the fire risk.  Just by way of background I should say the speakers are run as a stereo pair in our dining room/family room and not really used for critical listening.  My use cases are:
1. As a Spotify endpoint for the kids
2. As a Roon endpoint for background music and internet radio
So all sources are streamed and I don't require any physical inputs.

I have to say, so far I'm pretty pleased:
+ Upgrade process was simple and completely problem-free.  
+ The new app is really slick.  Nice UI and (so far) glitch free.
+ Streaming from my iPhone via Airplay and BlueTooth are working flawlessly
+ Pairing the upgraded Phantoms was painless and I have suffered no balance problems or "cathedral effects"
+ Managed to pair my Devialet "hand cream" remote on the first attempt (never succeeded with DOS 1)
+ The sound, especially on hi res material, is fantastic.  I can't swear if it is better than the same setup with DOS 1 as I don't really use this system for critical listening
+ No more Spark!
+ No more Dialog!!

- Still getting spontaneous cut-offs on UPnP.  I am using Roon so have to use SonoreUPnP Bridge on my sonicTransporter to protocol convert from SqueezeLite to UPnP.  The bridge finds the Phantoms with no problem at all, but playback cuts off after a certain amount of time (track-dependent) which "feels" like a buffer is slowly filling up and then overflowing.  So this could always be a SonoreUPnP Bridge problem.  If I have time I will try different UPnP servers/controllers to see if I can reproduce.
- No Roon RAAT yet, but we never expected that in the first release.

All-in-all I would say that the DOS 2 experience is a night-and-day improvement on any previous Devialet software effort.  If they are able to add functionality without compromising quality this will be a real winner.  At last it feels like the potential of this fantastic hardware is on the verge of being realised.  Thank you Devialet and please keep up the good work!

I understand that many others haven't had a smooth a journey and they have my fullest sympathy.  As always, ymmv.
I upgraded my 2 golds and a dialog last week, and everything went very smooth. I experience better sound, with deeper bass (even though the bases does not vibrate as much as before !) also better dynamic??. But it seems like one of the phantoms takes control and sounds a little louder than the other, when playing Online ?? Playing via the dialogue (with a cromecast into optical in on dialogue) evens the balance !
Also I experience that my Remote works better ? (the volume actually reacts faster and more frequent - earlier I often experienced no reaction to the Remote).