Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 vs. Devialet Expert 220 Pro
(30-Apr-2019, 09:16)Gerronwithit Wrote: Unless someone knows otherwise, there seems to be a hiatus of any positive news emanating from Devialet that would suggest that they have a credible development plan for their product ranges. Just about every day I have sone sort of information from the likes of Naim extolling the virtues of their much larger range of products that they somehow continue to develop and properly support.

And from Devialet - Nada! Perhaps they feel that the Expert Pro line has achieved Nirvana but maybe even a crumb such as dynamic online configuration instead of the annoying SD card would give us some faith in their development capabilities.

I believe they're busy fixing RAAT at the moment.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
No nor me, Naim don't develop and provide an upgrade path.... They make something new and BETTER then charge the earth for it and if you dare to keep one of their old products they expect you to upgrade the worn out capacitors  Big Grin Tongue Big Grin Tongue Big Grin to keep it working correctly......

Been there, done that, won't be suckered by their BS ever again.
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
I’d forgotten about RAAT. It has meant nothing aurally to myself. Actually, at the moment I am having more trouble with Roon skipping than any time since I bought it. The delivery schedule on a pretty narrow product line has been far from stellar either.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
(28-Apr-2019, 12:29)mobaer Wrote: I auditioned the Hegel H590 in direct comparison to a D220 Expert Pro on Dynaudio speakers (w/o SAM). The aim of the procedure was to find out the general differences between the Devialet and the Hegel sound, i.e. if the Hegel is as neutral and pure as the Devialet, if it adds a certain signature to the music and ... if I like it, of course.
My time was limited, so I just brought the following music, which I know very well.
- Mozart Sonatas for keyboard and violin (Gary Cooper and Rachel Podger, excellent recording from 2004), Sonatas in F Major, 1. set
- Midnight at Notre Dame, Organ transcriptions from Oliver Latry, recording from 2004, Bach "Jesu bleibet meine Freude" and Rachmaninov, Prélude op. 3 no. 2
- The Ballad of John and Yoko, Beatles, Past Masters album, remastered version from 2009

First I listened all four pieces on the Hegel H590, then in reverse order on the Devialet, and then again on the Hegel.
My impressions were in short:
Much more room presentation on the Hegel, especially the presentation of the Mozart sonata was more 3-dimensional. Same detail on the Devialet, but more flat stage.
Same for the organ recording in Notre Dame. On the Hegel you could hear, that the organ was played in a big church; less so on the Devialet. Moreover, the very loud and low notes from the Rachmaninov Prélude were much cleaner on the Hegel than on the Devialet. I assume, this is due to the fact, that the Hegel has twice as much power as the Devialet and therefore is more stable. It would have been better to compare to a Devialet 440, I guess, but that was not available. Same for the bass on the "Ballad of John and Yoko". John Lennons voice was pronounced and in the foreground on the Hegel; on the Devialet John Lennon seemed in line or even behind with the instruments.

At the bottom line, in this setup I liked the Hegel more than Devialet 220. Still a comparison to a 440 would be advisable.
Definitely, I will audition the Hegel at home on my speakers in comparison to my D800.

I have had the chance to listen to the 590 being played through a pair of Sasha 2 speakers (which of course I am very familiar with).

Overall I found the 590 to be very good, hugely muscular and powerful. Fabulous control over the Wilson speakers and lovely soundstage (which I think you have commented on). 

Unfortunately I wasn't able to compare to a Devialet, instead the comparison was made with the Vitus RI-101 which sells for roughly the price of the 440.

I found the Vitus to sound more refined overall and certainly more musical, so if the budget is willing to stretch to 440 levels it would certainly be worth a listen. But at 9k GBP (and 5k less than the Vitus) the Hegel is excellent! 

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
https://darko.audio/2018/10/a-short-film...egel-h590/

Darko does a sort of comparison here
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
How about throwing in the Primare i35 Prisma in the mix. Have you any experience with the Amp? Specs seems good as well as wattage.
I am in the process of selling the Lyngdorf and returning to Devialet with the Expert 220 Pro. I may have had a speaker mismatch with my Vivid Oval 1.5s, as they never sounded right with the Lyngdorf. Or, perhaps I was just used to the Devialet sound, especially with SAM engaged on my speakers. At any rate, I got a nice deal on a new 220 from a Canadian dealer and will have the unit later this week. As for the Lyngdorf, there was much to like about it: room correction, 32 different voicings (a form of pre-set equalization), a slick web interface for making changes on the fly (this would be a good improvement for Devialet), plenty of power and rock-solid performance.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
German magazine "Stereoplay" did a review of the 3400. They conclude that it is powerful (211W/8Ohm, 424W/4Ohm) and the additional Room-perfect gives a great stage and precise music. Music is analytical but not cold.
Finally, in absolut rating it is behind the Devialet 120.
Analog input: 3400 57points, Dev110 58p., Dev170 60p., Dev400 61p., Dev1000pro 61p. / Hegel590 60
Streaming:  : 3400 59points, Dev110 60p., Dev170 60p., Dev400 61p., Dev1000pro 63p. / Hegel590 61
USB input:    3400 59points, Dev110 59p., Dev170 60p., Dev400 61p., Dev1000pro 63p. / Hegel590 61
220 Expert Pro - MagicoA3 - Linn Streaming - Linn LP12 Vinyl - DS-Audio 003 - PS Audio PP12 - Uptone EtherRegen - AfterDark Clock - Acourate room correction via Roon - Qobuz
Germany - Hamburg