Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 1.67 Average
Devialet's newest technology...?
The French chap that runs "The State of Sound" blog has recently written about the Phantom.  He revealed a few things that I didn't know, including who makes the speaker drivers.  He also had a bit of criticism for the demo at the Devialet showroom in Paris, as apparently the acoustic set-up was not optimal and both the WiFi and AirPlay (his term -- and here I wonder whether Devialet is really going to try and make Air work on the Phantom when it's still a weak link in the Expert line) were not functional.  He was also disappointed not to be able to try the new Spark app.  Nonetheless, he is quite complimentary about Phantom.  Here is a link to his posting.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(17-Jan-2015, 08:46)Flashman Wrote: The French chap that runs "The State of Sound" blog has recently written about the Phantom.  He revealed a few things that I didn't know, including who makes the speaker drivers.  He also had a bit of criticism for the demo at the Devialet showroom in Paris, as apparently the acoustic set-up was not optimal and both the WiFi and AirPlay (his term -- and here I wonder whether Devialet is really going to try and make Air work on the Phantom when it's still a weak link in the Expert line) were not functional.  He was also disappointed not to be able to try the new Spark app.  Nonetheless, he is quite complimentary about Phantom.  Here is a link to his posting.

thanks for sharing.

I was also surprised to see he is talking about PLC (Power-line communication) as one of the networking options for Dialog. I did not know that this was an option to start with?! And if that is the case, and the Dialog acts as a transmitter over a PLC then what unit acts as a receiver on the other end of the PLC? will it be another Dialog?
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Regarding a power-line communication network, I wonder whether one option on the DIALOG -- besides Ethernet connection to a NAS, for example -- is the ability to transfer the signal over in-house wiring with a complementary device close to a router/NAS.  I always thought that PLC set-up's required two devices!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
(17-Jan-2015, 09:40)Flashman Wrote: Regarding a power-line communication network, I wonder whether one option on the DIALOG -- besides Ethernet connection to a NAS, for example -- is the ability to transfer the signal over in-house wiring with a complementary device close to a router/NAS.  I always thought that PLC set-up's required two devices!

Yes it does require a transmitter and a reciever and hence my question

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis

Dubai, UAE
I saw the reference to PLC in the specs - I just hope the feature can be completely disabled. It's the work of the Devil in terms of RFI emissions. They don't just pollute the mains in the property they're being used in, the interference can be apparent for quite a wide range outside.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(17-Jan-2015, 10:04)PhilP Wrote: I saw the reference to PLC in the specs - I just hope the feature can be completely disabled. It's the work of he Devil in terms of RFI emissions. They don't just pollute the mains in the property they're being used in, the interference can be apparent for quite a wide range outside.

Oh bugger that's why my set up sounds so terrible then !!!!!
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers
(17-Jan-2015, 09:12)amabrok Wrote:
(17-Jan-2015, 08:46)Flashman Wrote: The French chap that runs "The State of Sound" blog has recently written about the Phantom.  He revealed a few things that I didn't know, including who makes the speaker drivers.  He also had a bit of criticism for the demo at the Devialet showroom in Paris, as apparently the acoustic set-up was not optimal and both the WiFi and AirPlay (his term -- and here I wonder whether Devialet is really going to try and make Air work on the Phantom when it's still a weak link in the Expert line) were not functional.  He was also disappointed not to be able to try the new Spark app.  Nonetheless, he is quite complimentary about Phantom.  Here is a link to his posting.

thanks for sharing.

I was also surprised to see he is talking about PLC (Power-line communication) as one of the networking options for Dialog. I did not know that this was an option to start with?! And if that is the case, and the Dialog acts as a transmitter over a PLC then what unit acts as a receiver on the other end of the PLC? will it be another Dialog?

No I suspect every Phantom is also a PLC receiver.
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(17-Jan-2015, 19:33)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(17-Jan-2015, 09:12)amabrok Wrote:

thanks for sharing.

No I suspect every Phantom is also a PLC receiver.

Could be, but that would be really strange of Devialet to adopt! we all know how powerlines are full of noise and how tweakers and audiophiles do all they can (sometimes costing us an arm and a leg) to take our hifi systems as far as we can from unclean power by installing filters, harmonisers, dedicated switchboards and even power regeneration to avoid potential deterioration of the audio signal. so imagine now what will be the case when Devialet let the powerlines carry the signal?!

Dubai, UAE
(17-Jan-2015, 10:04)PhilP Wrote: I saw the reference to PLC in the specs - I just hope the feature can be completely disabled. It's the work of he Devil in terms of RFI emissions. They don't just pollute the mains in the property they're being used in, the interference can be apparent for quite a wide range outside.

I suspect that whether PLC is detrimental or not to SQ and other devices depends on the quality of the PLC implementation and the other devices.

As you can see in my signature, my D120 is connected through an Ethernet Cable to a PLC receiver. I have two other PLC receiver at home: one for the DSL modem and one for my Airport Access point.

So not only do I have a PLC receiver on the same electric circuit as my D120, but it also have a direct Ethernet connection between the two and it is also how the music is streamed using Air.

I was absolutely unable to detect any SQ difference nor any sign of adverse pollution with or without that PLC solution.

Of course milage may vary and I did not do a proper double blind test, so my finding may be biased by the fact that such a solution was much more convenient than any other for me.....

My two cents,

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(17-Jan-2015, 18:22)NickB Wrote:

Oh bugger that's why my set up sounds so terrible then !!!!!

They might not affect your Devialet amp but they could potentially cause issues with radio reception (FM and Digital) not just for you but also close neighbours.  I was told that a few people in the UK have been stopped from using ethernet over mains because their systems have affected nearby SW radio 'hams'! I did use TP-Link PLCs briefly and they worked well but I was persuaded to stop...
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)