Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3.67 Average
Damaged Phantom
(17-May-2019, 07:58)vollawetscher Wrote: Nothing in the Phantom is pressed with a ton of pressure - i opened mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How did you manage to open it without damaging it?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Whole story about “pressure” and “glue” is BS.
Each half is mounted with 2 nuts. One under the seal behind the metal decorative plate. The other one in the center of the woofer. Requires to carefully remove the glued woofer center with the help of a suction cut and a razor blade or scalpel.
Remove the 2 nuts and it will come apart with no wires etc. There is a nice rubber seal around the cast aluminium bidy of the speaker which btw is assembled by.... tataaaa... Bosch.

(17-May-2019, 09:28)vollawetscher Wrote: Whole story about “pressure” and “glue” is BS.
Each half is mounted with 2 nuts. One under the seal behind the metal decorative plate. The other one in the center  of the woofer. Requires to carefully remove the glued woofer center with the help of a suction cut and a razor blade or scalpel.
Remove the 2 nuts and it will come apart with no wires etc. There is a nice rubber seal around the cast aluminium bidy of the speaker which btw is assembled by.... tataaaa... Bosch.

Phantom Classic or the new Reactor? I think they designed the reactor to be able to take apart and fix?
Has anyone opted for the refurbished replacement ?
(24-May-2019, 17:47)Yar36 Wrote: Has anyone opted for the refurbished replacement ?
About to bite the bullet, although ironically there is no expiration to their quote ($1690) but here is how they classify a refurb:

"...You will receive a refurbished Phantom. Each Refurbished Phantom undergoes a series of tests and extreme controls to ensure the highest quality and performance, identical to the new products. When the quality is not up to the requirements, Phantom is disassembled and reassembled on the same production line as the new Phantoms. It is delivered with a new box, new power cable and covered with new 2 years manufacturing warranty."

I followed up to ask them how they look cosmetically, because mine was mint before it was damaged.
(07-Oct-2015, 11:17)michirishi Wrote: My lovely wife accidentely 'touched' one Phantom while vacuuming the house...  I am affraid it was a little more than just touching Angel , but OK.... We all make mistakes every now and then. Could have happened to me either.

The result is one damaged woofer-disc with three scars: a very small dent, a very small scratch and a very visible bigger dent. Sad

Only good thing is that Phantom is still working properly and soundquality seems not affected. So it seems only visual damage.
Any suggestions on how to deal with this damage?
Watch th s video https://youtu.be/JGzKwkGjfy4
If you heat the centre cones the glue will soften and then you can ease them out. The you just have to push the dent out, easy