Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dual mono with REL Subwoofer
Has anyone using Dual mono Expert with REL Subwoofer? Can you please share your setup (1 or 2 subwoofer) and how you connecting them? via High Level input or low?

Any comments about the improvement it brings in for music listening?

Thanks.
Though I don't use REL subs with my Devialets, I am sharing my past experiences with REL. Nearly 2 decades back, I bought my REL subs Model : STUDIO directly from their welsh factory in the UK sold to me by Richard English Lord aka REL. Mr Lord always recommended using 2 subs as against 1 for better & even distribution of the Low Frequencies and to avoid typical room loading. He also strongly recommended to using their "high level" input as it helps the subs to blend better with the main speakers as it gets it flavour from your main amplifiers. Using ABC tuning-in system, one can get very satisfying results from the RELs. Hope this info helps ...  Smile
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Not yet but will be soon. I asked for recommendation from REL directly and the response was "Dual Mono means mono RELs in our minds - and the amp is a digital design which means that you can use our hi level - but in reality I would suggest that you connect via our low level connection in this configuration." I'm attending a REL open day in a few weeks and am hoping to get more info out of them then!
Thanks guys for sharing the info.

My friend told me its OK to connect 1 REL using high level into the Master OR the Companion device ONLY, as for that low frequency, 99.9% of the content is same. I don't like to use the low level connection as it seems the high level will blend better with the main speaker.

For long term plan I might get the second one but for now I can only afford one...

@Laura which model you are getting? S5 SHO is the one I am looking at. My room is about 4 meter in width, and 9 meters depth.
I have a REL Studio from the original company. I configure my O d'A with a monoed bass signal from the master and use the phono output. It works correctly.
The idea of getting the flavour of the amplifier using the speaker outputs is moot with an amplifier as low distortion as the Devialet IMO.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

@PeppaPig Our room is a similar size to yours and REL told us we should look at getting twin S5 SHO, S3 SHO or Carbon Limited but we were considering a single G1 Mk2 but really do want to have a better conversation directly with them about it. My slight concern was that the recommended subs go down to 20Hz but our SAM enabled speakers allegedly go down to 18Hz according to Devialet, but REL kinda poo-pood that a bit and said no speakers will go that low in the real world, but gave no explanation. Similarly to you we only want to get one for now and may buy another later when funds permit but are hoping that we can get away with just one. I think REL were basing their twin recommendation on true monoblocks but the Devialets are pretty unique in that respect. Our Hifi dealer seems to be of the opinion that we could get great results from just one sub so it's all a bit up in the air currently!
@Laura

The G1 MK2 is a REL sub of a very different category when compared to the S5 SHO / S3 SHO / Carbon series. You will be amazed what a single G1 can do that the others cannot ... i.e. the REAL Low Frequencies you will hear from the G1 (if correctly tuned-in) will simply extend downwards into the low bass region where your Main speakers left off ... 

And about Devialet's SAM, trust me, average highend floorstanders will start to roll-off 30~35 Hz below AND This is where the RELs come in big time to cover all the way to 20Hz. Typically, a good REL sub should fill up the sub 20Hz to 40Hz region well and when it does, your room will aurally seem much larger without any hint of boominess !

I will go with the G1 anytime and you'll be surprised that only 1 will be sufficient when correctly positioned and setup. Good Luck !!
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(11-Apr-2019, 16:05)f1eng Wrote: I have a REL Studio from the original company. I configure my O d'A with a monoed bass signal from the master and use the phono output. It works correctly.
The idea of getting the flavour of the amplifier using the speaker outputs is moot with an amplifier as low distortion as the Devialet IMO.

This way may add extra load to your OdA?
(11-Apr-2019, 18:44)Laura Wrote: @PeppaPig Our room is a similar size to yours and REL told us we should look at getting twin S5 SHO, S3 SHO or Carbon Limited but we were considering a single G1 Mk2 but really do want to have a better conversation directly with them about it. My slight concern was that the recommended subs go down to 20Hz but our SAM enabled speakers allegedly go down to 18Hz according to Devialet, but REL kinda poo-pood that a bit and said no speakers will go that low in the real world, but gave no explanation. Similarly to you we only want to get one for now and may buy another later when funds permit but are hoping that we can get away with just one. I think REL were basing their twin recommendation on true monoblocks but the Devialets are pretty unique in that respect. Our Hifi dealer seems to be of the opinion that we could get great results from just one sub so it's all a bit up in the air currently!

Thanks Laura! So how do you feel after adding one REL to your Devialet? Would you say huge improvement cross most of the music?

PSAudio has a video on YouTube talking about why we need two bass. I guess it will improve but if it worth the extra money is very personal thing. These thing never get perfect.
For what it worth, I have a G1 MK II connected to my Devialet Expert Pro 250 to complement my SF Amati Futura. The range of the Futura is down to 25Hz, the REL is connected via HL cables and is set to start the range at 26Hz down to 15Hz. The result is amazing. Bass are define, sharp and fast, no comparison with any other Sub I heard. To the point that is a bit of a show stealer. I had people coming to check my system and forgetting Devialet, SF, and all the rest and pretty much only commenting on the incredible quality and precision of the bass, such is a stark difference of what you usually hear.
Definitely check it out.

M