Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 12.3.0 + DOS 2.2.2
I've had a try with several regular checksum utilities and can't figure it either. The file I have has "CRCxxxx" at the top where xxxx is 4 digits. I don't know if this varies?
Clearly they must add the line after it's been checksummed, but then maybe they don't count whitespace or something weird? I'm also not sure where the 4 digits are coming from, whether it's the final 4 digits of a much larger number.
It may be some proprietary method of theirs.
I updated to 12.3.0 DOS 2.2.2 today. To me it sounds great. I was pretty happy with Beta 14, but I suspect things are a little better with this latest version. I terms of the bass, I think there may indeed be a touch more accuracy and realism. Mids and highs maybe a fraction sharper and clearer. It is hard to say, because obviously, you cannot do a direct A/B comparison, but small changes and all positive I would say. Good stuff! I have zero desire to try switching back to earlier firmware versions, that says it all I think.

One negative observation. I was using the remote app today. This still drops out and reconnects periodically. Very annoying. The strange thing is, the app used to be 100% stable. I know a few of us complain that the app needs updating, to add tone controls, SAM settings, this kind of thing. But why is it less stable than it used to be? I find this baffling.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(23-Jun-2018, 17:12)Confused Wrote: One negative observation.  I was using the remote app today.  This still drops out and reconnects periodically.  Very annoying.  The strange thing is, the app used to be 100% stable.  I know a few of us complain that the app needs updating, to add tone controls, SAM settings, this kind of thing.  But why is it less stable than it used to be?  I find this baffling.

It isn’t for me, sitting here pre-CI with my UPS label ready to take the plunge, it’s rock solid as ever. So it’s almost certainly sloppy CI code at the receiver end.... Really am in two minds whether to actually ship, after all there’s no going back.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(23-Jun-2018, 17:16)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(23-Jun-2018, 17:12)Confused Wrote: One negative observation.  I was using the remote app today.  This still drops out and reconnects periodically.  Very annoying.  The strange thing is, the app used to be 100% stable.  I know a few of us complain that the app needs updating, to add tone controls, SAM settings, this kind of thing.  But why is it less stable than it used to be?  I find this baffling.

It isn’t for me, sitting here pre-CI with my UPS label ready to take the plunge, it’s rock solid as ever. So it’s almost certainly sloppy CI code at the receiver end.... Really am in two minds whether to actually ship, after all there’s no going back.
It was unstable for me pre-CI, so worry not, the CI board is not the culprit.  What I will say is that the amps sound a lot better than they did pre-CI, I have run AIR and CI AirPlay without issue recently, it’s all good.  So stop procrastinating and send it back, you’ll love it!  Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(23-Jun-2018, 17:41)Confused Wrote:
(23-Jun-2018, 17:16)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

It was unstable for me pre-CI, so worry not, the CI board is not the culprit.  What I will say is that the amps sound a lot better than they did pre-CI, I have run AIR and CI AirPlay without issue recently, it’s all good.  So stop procrastinating and send it back, you’ll love it!  Shy

Interesting. I thought it was just an issue for upgraders. Maybe there’s something you can tweak your end? For all my Devialet woes since I first started with the beautiful pizza box, I can’t think of a single time the iOS remote hasn’t worked and you know what AIR was like for me. I use it on various iPads (air2 and latest standard size pen model) and iPhones 8,7and 6 and all work ok. Maybe there’s a fix for you somewhere in your network setup.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

My IOS remote app does occasionally (but pretty rarely) disconnect. But this has been going on well before my CI update. I'm fairly confident it has to do the wireless in my home. The quickest way to resolve it has been to close the app and relaunch it. But again, it doesn't happen often (for me) and did occur even before the CI update.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I've had 12.3.0/2.2.2 running for a week now. I decided to leave the betas even if I had a preference for beta14 in my system. The real improvement here turns out to be (Roon) AIR. Wow that sounds good!
I did not try AIR when I switched between beta14 and 12.3.0/2.2.2 in my testing a week ago. So this time I've concentrated on just that. It is easy to switch back and forth between AIR and AES/EBU in Roon, and I still marginally prefer sound via Mutec. But the difference has almost vanished. I am pretty impressed!
As @Confused (and @David A ) says there is better definition in the bass which works for both Mutec and AIR, but midrange and treble is now actually better (more transparent) with AIR than via Mutec. I believe this is due in part to the fact that AES/EBU has more processing of the stream than packet data on the ethernet interface. AIR is also asynchronous. Of course signal path is quite long before it reaches the AES/EBU input. Ethernet to USB in the mR, USB->conversion->re-clocking->AES/EBU in Mutec and cable->Devialet. Sound via Mutec still has better dynamic precision. Notes on acoustic piano, for example, is a little soft with AIR, attacks are better handled via Mutec, but all in all the ethernet input is now the best.

I am quite sure it's possible to improve signal delivery to the AES/EBU input. Today I use a cheap DIY cable here (it is 110 ohms), the Mutec still has the SMPS. And of course I do not have a separate word clock unit...

Another benefit 12.3.0/2.2.2 has is better temperature control of the amplifier. If I forgot to turn on DMP the class A, when idle, could end up with 65 degrees on beta14. Now it stays under 45.
I have used the Devialet app on my Android devices with few problems. I normally use the Devialet remote so I don't really know what to expect from the app.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I've always thought about it and never dared to ask, if Devialet has its D / A converter based on Analogue Converter chips, D / A T.I. PCM1792, how is it that people notice sound changes with every software update, .. I would understand this with DAC chips based on FPGA, but not on the Devialet, thanks for clarifying it ...
I haven’t had a single issue with RoonAir on Beta software. In last 2 weeks with 12.3.0/2.2.2 I had 3 drop offs/interruptions for a 5 seconds. Everything else was the same. It seems to me the release is less stable than betas when it comes to Air.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
I upgraded to 12.3.0 +DOS 2.2.2 as soon as it came out. The app is as stable as it’s always been in my system and has never dropped out on me.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England