Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 12.3.0 + DOS 2.2.2
I have been using the latest upgraded software since its release and have not had any problems since. The Roon transport device in use problem has not reoccurred and I have had absolutely no drop outs. This is the longest stretch of problem free listening I have had with the Devialet since I purchased it three years ago.

I am now also using extensively the AirPlay facility to stream Qobuz (not quite as good SQ as Roon Air - but OK). The only remaining item on my Wishlist is the integration of Qobuz with Roon - I live in hope!
(23-Jun-2018, 23:12)Gomiki Wrote: I've always thought about it and never dared to ask, if Devialet has its D / A converter based on Analogue Converter chips, D / A T.I. PCM1792, how is it that people notice sound changes with every software update, .. I would understand this with DAC chips based on FPGA, but not on the Devialet, thanks for clarifying it ...

There is a lot of ADH related things happening after the DAC chip that can influence sound.

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fblogue.fillion.ca%2Fwp-c...18.jpg&f=1]
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(23-Jun-2018, 23:12)Gomiki Wrote: I've always thought about it and never dared to ask, if Devialet has its D / A converter based on Analogue Converter chips, D / A T.I. PCM1792, how is it that people notice sound changes with every software update, .. I would understand this with DAC chips based on FPGA, but not on the Devialet, thanks for clarifying it ...

And not wishing to be rude to anyone (myself included), but just because people hear a difference doesn’t necessarily mean there is one. Angel

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(24-Jun-2018, 07:30)Hifi_swlon Wrote:

And not wishing to be rude to anyone (myself included), but just because people hear a difference doesn’t necessarily mean there is one.  Angel

I didn't want to say it  Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(24-Jun-2018, 07:47)Pim Wrote:

And not wishing to be rude to anyone (myself included), but just because people hear a difference doesn’t necessarily mean there is one.  Angel

I didn't want to say it  Tongue

This could be another question for Mathieu Pernot at the July OAC event.  Are there any technical reasons why the beta and latest versions of the firmware can influence sound quality?  Have any changes to the beta and latest versions of the firmware been specifically intended to improve sound quality performance?

For the record, I am as sure as I can be that something happened at the beta 12 / 14 stage, but feel free to have a good laugh at me if Mathieu clearly states that this is impossible.  It is a tricky area though, many of us think our system sounds different one day to the next with nothing changed, so how can you accurately deduce sound quality changes from a firmware update?  Either way, I would love to know what is done in these firmware updates and if there is a technical reason for SQ change.  Facts are good!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12

And just because people say there isn't a difference doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't one.

I've been playing with audio for 50 years now and there are times when I've got it right and times when I got it wrong. I've got it wrong at times about there being a difference and I've got it wrong at times about there not being a difference. It doesn't matter what you're claiming, the one thing I've learnt is that some of the time you're going to be wrong. No one gets it right all of the time. Everyone makes mistakes some of the time. Some of my mistakes have cost me money on things which did nothing or made things worse and some of my mistakes have ended with me wondering why it took me so long to make a genuine improvement. You can't be dogmatic without ending up with egg on your face at times. Trust me, I've had egg on my face for both sorts of claim.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(24-Jun-2018, 10:00)David A Wrote: And just because people say there isn't a difference doesn't necessarily mean that there isn't one.

Of course.

But the point is, in terms of listening alone, it’s not always obvious which is the case - particularly where subtle changes are ‘heard’.

I hear changes in my system often. Is it the mains quality, atmospheric pressure, ear sensitivity, mood, tiredness, or some other physical factor that has changed? Or completely imagined? Who knows.

Just to be clear I don’t have the CI so haven’t heard any of those firmwares. But I do recall hearing non-Pro firmware differences in the era when Devialet actually released them. Looking back I wonder how much was really there, and whether I could pick the different versions out under controlled conditions. In general it always kind of sounded the same over prolonged periods.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(24-Jun-2018, 11:23)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Of course.

But the point is, in terms of listening alone, it’s not always obvious which is the case - particularly where subtle changes are ‘heard’.

I hear changes in my system often. Is it the mains quality, atmospheric pressure, ear sensitivity, mood, tiredness, or some other physical factor that has changed? Or completely imagined? Who knows.

Just to be clear I don’t have the CI so haven’t heard any of those firmwares. But I do recall hearing non-Pro firmware differences in the era when Devialet actually released them. Looking back I wonder how much was really there, and whether I could pick the different versions out under controlled conditions. In general it always kind of sounded the same over prolonged periods.

I am in total agreement with you. It can be really hard to know whether some differences exist.

My approach these days if it's a small difference or I'm in doubt in any way about whether a change is for the good or not is simply to live with the change for some time, a couple of days or a week or so if possible and then to swap back. If I find myself relaxing into the music after the swap back then I figure that either I made a mistake or the change wasn't worth it. I find the usual A/B tests aren't reliable for me when it comes to small or subtle changes because I know I can get it wrong. When I swap back after living with a change I don't pay too much attention to whether I can hear a difference though I do listen for that. What I pay attention to is how I feel about the music after the change back. When I make a change it's usually because I'm trying to improve something or to get rid of something but the end goal is to get a bit more enjoyment from the music. I've learnt over time that when I first make a change I can often assume something is better simply because it's different and that I tend to focus on differences when I make a change but after I've lived with it for a while and change back I've learnt that I tend to be a bit less interested in whether or not there's a change because I'm changing from something I'm familiar with to something else I'm familiar with and that it's easier for me to focus on whether or not the change is adding to my enjoyment when I'm comparing 2 things I know and am familiar with than when I'm comparing something I'm familiar with to something that's new and unfamiliar.

And even that method of comparing things isn't perfect but it's the best approach I've come up with over the years.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

No going back. Gulp..

(24-Jun-2018, 22:33)Hifi_swlon Wrote: No going back. Gulp..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqBR8knRM2w
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.