Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 12.3.0 + DOS 2.2.2
(24-Jun-2018, 22:33)Hifi_swlon Wrote: No going back. Gulp..

They say that a picture is worth a thousand words. I'm too tired to type a thousand words so would a good paraphrase of them be that you have removed your Devialet from its wall mount and sent it off for the CI upgrade?  :-)

I haven't regretted getting my 130 upgraded and I would not want to go back.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
AIR streaming is still UDP. When RAAT arrives in Expert amps we will get TCP streaming. I wonder if AIR will still be available as an option in Roon after RAAT is implemented? Maybe Roon will disable the AIR option when a firmware with RAAT is present in the Devialet amp?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(25-Jun-2018, 11:29)ogs Wrote: ....I wonder if AIR will still be available as an option in Roon after RAAT is implemented? Maybe Roon will disable the AIR option when a firmware with RAAT is present in the Devialet amp?

I doubt they'll disable it, otherwise non-Pro/CI users will be a bit stuck.....

(edit) Oh, I see, you said when it detects RAAT. That's a possibility... But then where will all the fun be in people comparing the SQ between the two (and then against their Mutec's etc)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

“But then where will all the fun be in people comparing the SQ between the two (and then against their Mutec's etc)”.  Rolleyes. So stimulating to read Angel.
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(25-Jun-2018, 11:31)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(25-Jun-2018, 11:29)ogs Wrote: ....I wonder if AIR will still be available as an option in Roon after RAAT is implemented? Maybe Roon will disable the AIR option when a firmware with RAAT is present in the Devialet amp?

I doubt they'll disable it, otherwise non-Pro/CI users will be a bit stuck.....

(edit) Oh, I see, you said when it detects RAAT. That's a possibility... But then where will all the fun be in people comparing the SQ between the two (and then against their Mutec's etc)

Yes that would be really boring Smile .. I may even have sold my Mutec by then so there is little to compare to. Maybe I should try a DigiOne? It also has a re-clocker.. what do you say?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
Go for it. But you’d have to mod it twice, so it can take an external word clock and a separate power supply. Otherwise what’s the point.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(25-Jun-2018, 19:12)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Go for it. But you’d have to mod it twice, so it can take an external word clock and a separate power supply. Otherwise what’s the point.

I do not have an external clock unit so I'd skip that Cool
Maybe avoid the microUSB  supply connector on the Pi and solder directly... must mod it somehow. Otherwise what’s the point!
Devialetless!
(24-Jun-2018, 07:30)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(23-Jun-2018, 23:12)Gomiki Wrote: I've always thought about it and never dared to ask, if Devialet has its D / A converter based on Analogue Converter chips, D / A T.I. PCM1792, how is it that people notice sound changes with every software update, .. I would understand this with DAC chips based on FPGA, but not on the Devialet, thanks for clarifying it ...

And not wishing to be rude to anyone (myself included), but just because people hear a difference doesn’t necessarily mean there is one.  Angel

"... just because people hear a difference doesn’t necessarily mean there is one."
You are entirely correct with respect to objective, quantifiable differences.  The subjective experience, however, is another story.  Short of gross differences, buzzing hissing, etc.  most of what people report here is entirely subjective and heavily biased by their expectations, mood, what they had for breakfast, stress at work , how much $$$ they've poured into their audio system, etc.  the list is endless and often has less to do with the electronics and more to do with the fact that our brains bias information processing in the context of our emotions.

In other words people hear what they want to hear (or don't want to hear).
Expectation bias exists, ignore it at your peril. I have seen the above arguments many times, and very often they are entirely valid. There is an alternative view though that human beings can detect very subtle differences in sound. To be clear here, I am talking about the really tiny stuff. Anyone who has followed the "Blue Pill Red Pill" thread on CA might appreciate this point.

So here we have the dilemma, human hearing can detect the tiniest of things, but our brains can trick us to a greater extent. To be honest, I suspect audio forums will be debating this to the end of time. Someone claims a new power supply, cable or whatever has made an audible improvement, someone else will state this is just expectation bias.

Of course, there are limits to expectation bias and how much our brains can trick us. I am sure I could reliably tell if a particular track was being played via KEF Blades or an iPhone. I am sure I could do the same between KEF Reference 1's and the Blades too. So there are limits.

This is why the small details are so interesting. We can detect them, but also our brain can mislead us to a greater extent. Half of the battle is to be fully aware of this, so not to have the confidence that you can hear a difference between cable A and B, keep it in your mind that you might be being tricked. Earlier in this thread there was a bit of joshing about AIR comparisons. Oddly enough, I have found AIR to be extremely useful whilst messing about with my SOtM / Mutec kit. The reason being is that armed with an iPad running Roon and an iPhone with the Devialet remote app, it is possible to do very rapid level matched switches between AIR and the SOtM / Mutec kit. You can then listen to a short section of music, you can focus on one aspect of the music, switch repeat listen to another aspect, switch repeat and so on. This is hard work and takes a lot of concentration. (and eventually sends you bonkers and you have to stop) I am sure some folk will read this and think "what a nutter, why doesn't he just listen to music". OK - fair enough, we are all different, and once I have A/B tested stuff to death, this is actually the time I can forget all about the system and enjoy the music. I can do this because once I have done the work and I am satisfied that everything is as it should be, I can then forget about the system and listen to the tunes. There is also the fact that I quite enjoy this kind of stuff in an obsessive kind of way.

To be honest, I am sure a significant percentage of SQ observations you read on line are not that accurate, influenced by expectation bias, confirmation bias and so on. That said, it is wrong to generalise, some of these observations will be correct, some people can do it. It is based on experience, talent, knowledge and sometimes plain hard work, concentration and effort. Do I think I can do it with a high percentage of reliability? Well no actually, not all the time, I know I suffer from the same human foibles as everyone else, but as I said earlier, knowing it is half the battle.

Anyway, this is going off topic. Has anyone got any SQ observations for Firmware 12.3.0
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(26-Jun-2018, 18:24)Confused Wrote:  
I am sure I could reliably tell if a particular track was being played via KEF Blades or an iPhone.
Anyway, this is going off topic.  Has anyone got any SQ observations for Firmware 12.3.0

Now that would be an awesome blind test for all DC members to pass before making SQ observations. Big Grin

I might have in a week or two, assuming they don’t bring out an update in the interim (which I think we’ll all agree is unlikely).