Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 12.3.0 + DOS 2.2.2
Isn't the online configurator just a GUI front window to an editor for the dp_cfg text files.

As @iamwappie said we would only have to figure out what to change in the text file and all good to go again.
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(20-Jun-2018, 09:00)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(20-Jun-2018, 07:16)petrik Wrote:
(20-Jun-2018, 06:26)iamwappie Wrote: The one thing that will be more difficult - or maybe I should say time investing - will be the SAM parameters

Indeed, this might be a bit more challenging issue to solve. Maybe there could be a separate feature to check whether there are some updates (new or updated SAM profiles) available, and to download & install the updated SAM profiles. Maybe it could even send me a notification about the available updates, especially if I'm using an old version of the SAM profile (for safety reasons).

Yeah that’s going to be tricky. Presumably they’d never release the ‘secrets’ behind SAM, but they could host the SAM database externally so that it could be accessed by the pro configurator. But if Devialet went under and you got locked into having it disable SAM that would be one thing, being locked into being stuck with the wrong SAM would be another. So as long as you had the ability to disable it while keeping all your other settings at least you could still use your amp if you changed speakers and they weeent around.

I think Roon are there to stay but it’s also a decent business move to publicly state your committed to leaving a Roon that would still run in the event the company ceased to exist. Not sure what the reality of that is with all their external ‘paid for’ metadata but I guess they could leave you without all that but with a system that would still play your files.

Hopefully neither will disappear and we’ll get a local configurator for the experts.

Selecting a speaker just results in a text block insertion in the cfg file which for the same speaker will be the same for everyone so it would just be a matter of selecting all speaker profiles and collect all specific SAM text blocks, build a GUI and some piece of code (not rocket science) en voila. That the beauty of the text file simplicity.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(20-Jun-2018, 15:42)iamwappie Wrote:
(20-Jun-2018, 07:16)petrik Wrote: Indeed, this might be a bit more challenging issue to solve. Maybe there could be a separate feature to check whether there are some updates (new or updated SAM profiles) available, and to download & install the updated SAM profiles. Maybe it could even send me a notification about the available updates, especially if I'm using an old version of the SAM profile (for safety reasons).

Yeah that’s going to be tricky. Presumably they’d never release the ‘secrets’ behind SAM, but they could host the SAM database externally so that it could be accessed by the pro configurator. But if Devialet went under and you got locked into having it disable SAM that would be one thing, being locked into being stuck with the wrong SAM would be another. So as long as you had the ability to disable it while keeping all your other settings at least you could still use your amp if you changed speakers and they weeent around.

I think Roon are there to stay but it’s also a decent business move to publicly state your committed to leaving a Roon that would still run in the event the company ceased to exist. Not sure what the reality of that is with all their external ‘paid for’ metadata but I guess they could leave you without all that but with a system that would still play your files.

Hopefully neither will disappear and we’ll get a local configurator for the experts.

Selecting a speaker just results in a text block insertion in the cfg file which for the same speaker will be the same for everyone so it would just be a matter of selecting all speaker profiles and collect all specific SAM text blocks, build a GUI and some piece of code (not rocket science) en voila. That the beauty of the text file simplicity.
I had problem editing the CFG file and then noticed it had a CRC on first line...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check

[url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check][/url]I assume this prevents simple editing?

Sorry just realised my mistake, I was editing the dp_cfg.txt file, is this the one you referring to re SAM?
Innuos Statement, D1000 Pro CI, Shunyata Denali, Alpha v2, Delta v2 and Venom NR12 power cords, Sigma v1 speaker cables, Omega USB, PMC IB2se, Townshend Isolation Podiums.

Marantz SR7012, OPPO BDP 105D, PMC OB1s (Rears), PMC Twenty C (Centre).

South East Wales, UK
Yeah you can’t edit the config file by design. I get that they’re protecting consumers from harming their hardware, but I wish they had an advanced mode where users could elect to edit the text files. This could be a lot quicker in the right hands (and especially if documented). And it’s not like their own configurator doesn’t make mistakes.
Believe it or not, some of us are technically competent and prepared to take responsibility for our actions.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(20-Jun-2018, 07:16)petrik Wrote: Indeed, this might be a bit more challenging issue to solve. Maybe there could be a separate feature to check whether there are some updates (new or updated SAM profiles) available, and to download & install the updated SAM profiles. Maybe it could even send me a notification about the available updates, especially if I'm using an old version of the SAM profile (for safety reasons).

Anyone know stat the memory storage is on the CI board and/or how much space the whole SAM database would take in config style text form? Guessing a few megabytes at most but I could be wildly wrong.

You make it sound like coding is simple and methodical... Didnt you know the best way to code is to do it by the seat of your pants, unplanned and thinly tested. Makes it more exciting.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(20-Jun-2018, 17:02)Carcrashboy Wrote:
(20-Jun-2018, 09:00)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Yeah that’s going to be tricky. Presumably they’d never release the ‘secrets’ behind SAM, but they could host the SAM database externally so that it could be accessed by the pro configurator. But if Devialet went under and you got locked into having it disable SAM that would be one thing, being locked into being stuck with the wrong SAM would be another. So as long as you had the ability to disable it while keeping all your other settings at least you could still use your amp if you changed speakers and they weeent around.

I had problem editing the CFG file and then noticed it had a CRC on first line...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check

[url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyclic_redundancy_check][/url]I assume this prevents simple editing?

Sorry just realised my mistake, I was editing the dp_cfg.txt file, is this the one you referring to re SAM?

(20-Jun-2018, 21:58)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Yeah you can’t edit the config file by design. I get that they’re protecting consumers from harming their hardware, but I wish they had an advanced mode where users could elect to edit the text files. This could be a lot quicker in the right hands (and especially if documented). And it’s not like their own configurator doesn’t make mistakes.
Believe it or not, some of us are technically competent and prepared to take responsibility for our actions.

I'd guess that a simple CRC is indeed for safety so customers can't easily change the config file and possible damage the system but it is by no means a hurdle as security measure. Manual changing the config file and generating a new CRC should not be that difficult. Question is if which part of the config file (or the complete file) the CRC is generated.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(20-Jun-2018, 13:20)Confused Wrote:
(19-Jun-2018, 21:29)David A Wrote:
(19-Jun-2018, 16:16)Confused Wrote: Does anyone have any sound quality observations with respect to FW 12.3.0 DOS 2.2.2?  I recall that earlier in this thread (P2) @ogs & @David A has some interesting observations, but nothing since.

Has anyone else noticed anything moving from Beta 12 or 14?

Can I recant my earlier comments?

Yes, there are differences to the previous firmware but I've found out once again that it's easy to be negative about differences when you first notice them. There seems to be a large component of familiarity involved in what we prefer and when we hear differences we're into unfamiliar territory. I've found out once again with this FW that my opinions can sometimes change when I get used to the new.

In my system I now think there was a drop in the noise floor which let me hear a little more detail in the bass, something I initially interpreted as "dryness", and more solid/specific imaging which gave me a feeling of less spaciousness in the soundstage. After living with the new FW for a week and a half I no longer feel that the bass is dryer or that the soundstage is any less spacious. Yes, I still think the presentation is different but I think it has improved slightly and now that I'm used to the change I like it.

I think that this is the best my setup has sounded since the amp got the CI board upgrade. Devialet seem to be slowly improving sound quality as well as implementing the new streaming functionality the CI board provides.

David - I would say that you bass observations are very consistent to what I observe when making changes that should improve clocking / reduced jitter.  The immediate reaction is that there is a little less bass, perhaps a touch less bass warmth, but then you notice just how much more detail there is in the bass, and how much more realistic things like bass drums sound. 

I would love to know what Devialet are actually doing with these firmware updates. Shy

You and me both. They are definitely doing something and so far I'm liking what they're doing, but sometimes the change seems to take a bit of getting used to.

One of the things I'm appreciating more is the sound of drums, especially the greater variety and range to skin tone that I'm hearing. There are times when I can get lost in appreciating the things the drummer is doing with tone from drum strike to drum strike.

I suspect that part of the reason I've gone off SAM and am now running without it is that having SAM on does extend the bass but it also reduces tonal range in the bass slightly and I lose some of that variety in bass tone and attack. Another part of the reason I've gone off SAM may be that I'm appreciating the designer's choices for bass voicing of my Sopras more. Whatever SAM does, it does change the voicing slightly.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(19-Jun-2018, 21:29)David A Wrote:
(19-Jun-2018, 16:16)Confused Wrote: Does anyone have any sound quality observations with respect to FW 12.3.0 DOS 2.2.2?  I recall that earlier in this thread (P2) @ogs & @David A has some interesting observations, but nothing since.

Has anyone else noticed anything moving from Beta 12 or 14?

Can I recant my earlier comments?

Yes, there are differences to the previous firmware but I've found out once again that it's easy to be negative about differences when you first notice them. There seems to be a large component of familiarity involved in what we prefer and when we hear differences we're into unfamiliar territory. I've found out once again with this FW that my opinions can sometimes change when I get used to the new.

In my system I now think there was a drop in the noise floor which let me hear a little more detail in the bass, something I initially interpreted as "dryness", and more solid/specific imaging which gave me a feeling of less spaciousness in the soundstage. After living with the new FW for a week and a half I no longer feel that the bass is dryer or that the soundstage is any less spacious. Yes, I still think the presentation is different but I think it has improved slightly and now that I'm used to the change I like it.

I think that this is the best my setup has sounded since the amp got the CI board upgrade. Devialet seem to be slowly improving sound quality as well as implementing the new streaming functionality the CI board provides.

I feel a difference, a good difference in the bass.
From the beta 14 to this latest one the bass is less "fat" and more detailed.
The question is, which CRC algorithm is used? I compared some CFI files and tried some but without reproducible results.
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
Maybe the CRC is calculated over only a piece of the cfg file?