Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 12.3.0 + DOS 2.2.2
I suppose it would not be that difficult to copy what the configurator does. In the end it just makes modifications in a txt file. If you would change a setting and document the resulting change in the file and do that for all settings it would not be that hard to create a GUI for that to do the same. Less fancy than the current configurator but it'll work. The one thing that will be more difficult - or maybe I should say time investing - will be the SAM parameters but capturing all changes required to configure the inputs, volume settings etc should not be that hard. Someone just has to do this though before it goes offline :-)

For Roon also questions are asked on lifetime memberships. What if Roon goes bankrupt? There is a statement from Roon that they will create a version capable of running stand alone before going out of business.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(20-Jun-2018, 06:26)iamwappie Wrote: I suppose it would not be that difficult to copy what the configurator does. In the end it just makes modifications in a txt file. If you would change a setting and document the resulting change in the file and do that for all settings it would not be that hard to create a GUI for that to do the same. Less fancy than the current configurator but it'll work. The one thing that will be more difficult - or maybe I should say time investing - will be the SAM parameters but capturing all changes required to configure the inputs, volume settings etc should not be that hard. Someone just has to do this though before it goes offline :-)

For Roon also questions are asked on lifetime memberships. What if Roon goes bankrupt? There is a statement from Roon that they will create a version capable of running stand alone before going out of business.

I love the positivity on this forum Wink
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(20-Jun-2018, 06:26)iamwappie Wrote: The one thing that will be more difficult - or maybe I should say time investing - will be the SAM parameters

Indeed, this might be a bit more challenging issue to solve. Maybe there could be a separate feature to check whether there are some updates (new or updated SAM profiles) available, and to download & install the updated SAM profiles. Maybe it could even send me a notification about the available updates, especially if I'm using an old version of the SAM profile (for safety reasons).
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(20-Jun-2018, 07:15)Pim Wrote: I love the positivity on this forum Wink

Beatings will continue until morale improves  Idea Angel
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(19-Jun-2018, 18:20)Gerronwithit Wrote: I find it almost incomprehensible that Devialet built a whole new board for CI with no thoughts of providing the space or means of having an integrated on-line process of upgrading the OS and tweaking the configuration. It’s a bit worrying that a piece of kit carrying such a hefty price tag is reliant on pre 21st century update processes.

Yes, this incomprehensible feeling happens a lot. But they’re changing, didn’t you know. Big Grin

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(20-Jun-2018, 07:16)petrik Wrote:
(20-Jun-2018, 06:26)iamwappie Wrote: The one thing that will be more difficult - or maybe I should say time investing - will be the SAM parameters

Indeed, this might be a bit more challenging issue to solve. Maybe there could be a separate feature to check whether there are some updates (new or updated SAM profiles) available, and to download & install the updated SAM profiles. Maybe it could even send me a notification about the available updates, especially if I'm using an old version of the SAM profile (for safety reasons).

Yeah that’s going to be tricky. Presumably they’d never release the ‘secrets’ behind SAM, but they could host the SAM database externally so that it could be accessed by the pro configurator. But if Devialet went under and you got locked into having it disable SAM that would be one thing, being locked into being stuck with the wrong SAM would be another. So as long as you had the ability to disable it while keeping all your other settings at least you could still use your amp if you changed speakers and they weeent around.

I think Roon are there to stay but it’s also a decent business move to publicly state your committed to leaving a Roon that would still run in the event the company ceased to exist. Not sure what the reality of that is with all their external ‘paid for’ metadata but I guess they could leave you without all that but with a system that would still play your files.

Hopefully neither will disappear and we’ll get a local configurator for the experts.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Just installed the new firmware without any hassle. Is working fine.

Being able to access the D from a web browser and do configuration like that would be easier but I don't mind the current state.

The sun is shining, the music is flowing and I'm a very happy listener.
(20-Jun-2018, 07:16)petrik Wrote:

I've got a custom SAM profile for my speakers. ( It is actually a standard SAM profile, but my speakers are modified so it would not make sense to put the profile in the online data base.) It is simply a text file called sam_cfg.txt that I put on the SD card with the normal dp_cfg.txt. The content of this file overrides any sam content in the main config file. sam_cfg.txt also has a CRC value so you can not edit it.
An easy workaround could then be an export function in the online Configurator where one can save individual SAM profiles and upload them to the CI when needed.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(19-Jun-2018, 21:29)David A Wrote:
(19-Jun-2018, 16:16)Confused Wrote: Does anyone have any sound quality observations with respect to FW 12.3.0 DOS 2.2.2?  I recall that earlier in this thread (P2) @ogs & @David A has some interesting observations, but nothing since.

Has anyone else noticed anything moving from Beta 12 or 14?

Can I recant my earlier comments?

Yes, there are differences to the previous firmware but I've found out once again that it's easy to be negative about differences when you first notice them. There seems to be a large component of familiarity involved in what we prefer and when we hear differences we're into unfamiliar territory. I've found out once again with this FW that my opinions can sometimes change when I get used to the new.

In my system I now think there was a drop in the noise floor which let me hear a little more detail in the bass, something I initially interpreted as "dryness", and more solid/specific imaging which gave me a feeling of less spaciousness in the soundstage. After living with the new FW for a week and a half I no longer feel that the bass is dryer or that the soundstage is any less spacious. Yes, I still think the presentation is different but I think it has improved slightly and now that I'm used to the change I like it.

I think that this is the best my setup has sounded since the amp got the CI board upgrade. Devialet seem to be slowly improving sound quality as well as implementing the new streaming functionality the CI board provides.

David - I would say that you bass observations are very consistent to what I observe when making changes that should improve clocking / reduced jitter.  The immediate reaction is that there is a little less bass, perhaps a touch less bass warmth, but then you notice just how much more detail there is in the bass, and how much more realistic things like bass drums sound. 

I would love to know what Devialet are actually doing with these firmware updates. Shy

As a note to others, I have heard a rumour that Devialet are likely to stay in business for many years to come.

There does seam to be some kind of fear that if Devialet go bust, there will be no configurator, our amps will suddenly stop working, the sky would fall in etc. 

OK - Lets say they do go bust next week.  The configurator will not suddenly vaporise or vanish from the face of the earth, it may need hosting somewhere, but I am quite sure that it will be made available to legacy users.

In fact, if it was simply released to the public as open source software, between us we would probably be able to get it working properly.  Smile

It's really not worth worrying about.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
If the configurator was no longer available I suppose you would have to go to factory reset/default, so your unit would still function but not as you would have preferred.