Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 12.3.0 + DOS 2.2.2
(18-Jun-2018, 17:24)SteveI Wrote: I genuinely feel for anyone who has bought a Devialet who is not somewhat "Au Fait" with sotware based operating.

They would just have to read the excellent White Paper / Instructions Manual that Devialet have issued which explains everything in detail ....... oh wait  Tongue Tongue Tongue
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(18-Jun-2018, 17:24)SteveI Wrote: . In addition to Spotify not working, I was hearing a good deal of crackling noise from my speakers , and I had lost the use of the remote APP.

So WiFi being enabled puts audible crackling noises out through the speakers? That’s a bit worrying. Anyone else experienced that? Does it sound like interference, or the old AIR style crackling?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(18-Jun-2018, 09:16)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Yuh, in 2018 this is how things should be. SD cards are a bit 2000, even for firmware updates. But for device configs an intranet type gui is a must.

I’m guessing they intended to have it and it’s just not finished - otherwise why have the feature and have it enabled? It’s just the usual chaotic development, but hopefully they’ll move onto it once they’ve fixed everything else that left to cleanup.

There should really be no need for an indirect confgurator now. It would also be better as by and large the unit would be much more resistant to say Devialet going under if everything were configurable locally. Even if it got old and had out of date firmware, at least you’d be able to adjust config settings without Devialet being alive.

I believe they did post on the infinity log at some point that users shouldn’t use the web gui yet.

I am of the opinion that this should have been done from day one, the ability to access the OS in real opens up a whole new world of opportunities.

Frankly, looking at the failure rate of the SD card slots of my laptops, I cringe every time I pull out the card, for fear of bricking the machine.
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

Just a thought on the SD card / Ethernet / GUI 'problem' that everyone is banging on about. I don't think it's that easy to implement if you think about how it works at the moment; you have to turn the Devialet off and back on to initialise and the new configuration to take place. Yet you would have to have the Devialet on to make changes to the configuration if you were to do it via a GUI. With the Devialet built to read off the SD card what configuration to use when it's turned on, I can't imagine it's that easy to change from SD card to GUI. The config is on the SD card. Without the SD card inserted the Devialet returns to the default config. So if you had a GUI, where do you store the new config whilst the old one is still on the SD card? Or should it change things on the fly? But that's not how the D works. It needs to be initialised. So making changes on the fly on the SD card would mean your config doesn't work whilst you're making those changes. What's the D doing in the mean time? Not playing music, that's for sure.

So the change to be made looks to me far deeper into the firmware or even hardware of the D than some imply. If someone has a better understanding of how this works, please prove me wrong. Meanwhile, I'm just going to assume the SD card system is here to stay forever.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(19-Jun-2018, 02:44)Pim Wrote: Just a thought on the SD card / Ethernet / GUI 'problem' that everyone is banging on about. I don't think it's that easy to implement if you think about how it works at the moment; you have to turn the Devialet off and back on to initialise and the new configuration to take place. Yet you would have to have the Devialet on to make changes to the configuration if you were to do it via a GUI. With the Devialet built to read off the SD card what configuration to use when it's turned on, I can't imagine it's that easy to change from SD card to GUI. The config is on the SD card. Without the SD card inserted the Devialet returns to the default config. So if you had a GUI, where do you store the new config whilst the old one is still on the SD card? Or should it change things on the fly? But that's not how the D works. It needs to be initialised. So making changes on the fly on the SD card would mean your config doesn't work whilst you're making those changes. What's the D doing in the mean time? Not playing music, that's for sure.

So the change to be made looks to me far deeper into the firmware or even hardware of the D than some imply. If someone has a better understanding of how this works, please prove me wrong. Meanwhile, I'm just going to assume the SD card system is here to stay forever.

Linn have been doing it for years....
Mac mini -> Roon ->Devialet expert pro 1000 via Roon Air Ethernet, Chord Signature Digital Tuned Array, Clearaudio Champion Level 2, Dynavector DV-20X2L, Focal Sopra 2, Transparent Musicwave super speaker cables.
(19-Jun-2018, 08:11)Dannythered Wrote:
(19-Jun-2018, 02:44)Pim Wrote: Just a thought on the SD card / Ethernet / GUI 'problem' that everyone is banging on about. I don't think it's that easy to implement if you think about how it works at the moment; you have to turn the Devialet off and back on to initialise and the new configuration to take place. Yet you would have to have the Devialet on to make changes to the configuration if you were to do it via a GUI. With the Devialet built to read off the SD card what configuration to use when it's turned on, I can't imagine it's that easy to change from SD card to GUI. The config is on the SD card. Without the SD card inserted the Devialet returns to the default config. So if you had a GUI, where do you store the new config whilst the old one is still on the SD card? Or should it change things on the fly? But that's not how the D works. It needs to be initialised. So making changes on the fly on the SD card would mean your config doesn't work whilst you're making those changes. What's the D doing in the mean time? Not playing music, that's for sure.

Do you mean Linn had a system that used an SD card that had the config on it that needed to be inserted and required the system to be re-booted and then they decided to go with an Ethernet based GUI and that worked too?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
If the D hardware were staying the same then I don’t think anyone would expect the SD card situ to change - that would be very difficult. But it’s the CI board that controls all this stuff, and since it was designed in 2017 it should be straightforward. All the settings would stay in some kind of non volatile memory on the board and the board would initialise any reboots (it that’s still required - it may just be a requirement of the old cpu board). The SD card would be a way to keep things working through the transition, for loading the main firmware updates (at least the big one that switches the system to ‘over the air updates’) and as a fail safe.
Presumably D would have thought all this through before even embarking on the design of the CI. Then any changes required to the rest of the D hardware to make this work would have been made - and they did say they made changes and the CI isn’t compatible with non pro experts, so you’d hope they’d made these kinds of changes.
All this stuff is probably much easier for them than using an online configurator and SD cards in this day and age. It’s one system to code/support instead of several. It’s also much better for the user.
But of course only Devialet know what they intended and since they don’t really say what they’re doing or document anything it’s hard to tell. Let’s hope this is the one time where they really surprise us with how far ahead they thought, and how determined they are to bring the CI software and front end config to the same level of technical excellence as the hardware itself.

My day to day config of any other technical devices at home or work are pretty much controlled by some form of web gui or settings accessible over the internet (or local net if you like). Chrome audios, network switches, raspberry pis, router, you name it - when’s the last time you had to write a config file to an SD card using a separate computer and then load it to the device and reboot?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(19-Jun-2018, 08:43)Hifi_swlon Wrote: But it’s the CI board that controls all this stuff,

That's probably the $60,000.- question. How do we know it does? Oh yeah, the white paper... Huh
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(19-Jun-2018, 08:30)Pim Wrote:
(19-Jun-2018, 08:11)Dannythered Wrote:

Do you mean Linn had a system that used an SD card that had the config on it that needed to be inserted and required the system to be re-booted and then they decided to go with an Ethernet based GUI and that worked too?

As far as I know they never had an SD card system. I’ve owned Linn for many years and the upgrade process has always been managed through a PC or Mac app (Konfig) that talks to the Linn boxes over the network. It’s become even slicker in recent years (I do remember it being a bit buggy several years ago). Through Konfig you can configure and upgrade.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Well, someone took offence at my own comment elsewhere that the SD card was a rather anachronistic way of configuring and updating the hardware. I really can’t think of any other device I own that needs the equivalent of a floppy disc to perform these tasks. Given that Devialet only have two significant products to maintain, their ineptness with software is a bit worrying.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.