Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Firmware 12.3.0 + DOS 2.2.2

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(19-Jun-2018, 09:06)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(19-Jun-2018, 08:30)Pim Wrote:
(19-Jun-2018, 08:11)Dannythered Wrote: Linn have been doing it for years....

Do you mean Linn had a system that used an SD card that had the config on it that needed to be inserted and required the system to be re-booted and then they decided to go with an Ethernet based GUI and that worked too?

As far as I know they never had an SD card system. I’ve owned Linn for many years and the upgrade process has always been managed through a PC or Mac app (Konfig) that talks to the Linn boxes over the network. It’s become even slicker in recent years (I do remember it being a bit buggy several years ago). Through Konfig you can configure and upgrade.

Guillaume

I feel that the point I was trying to make got a bit lost. I'm not saying that a network friendly config system is a bad idea. I'm just saying that because of the way the Devialet is built from the ground up it might not be as easy as people here think it is. Or even possible at all.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I don´t see so many disadvantages in sd card vs online configuration.
At the end of the day, it is meant to change the setting, that´s all,and this is not done every day ... in my case.
(19-Jun-2018, 11:34)BoyScout Wrote: I don´t see so many disadvantages in sd card vs online configuration.
At the end of the day, it is meant to change the setting, that´s all,and this is not done every day ... in my case.

I don't change my configs much either but I can see how those with different cartridges or subwoofers would love to be able to change settings on the fly. I just don't think it's something Devialet will implement soon or even at all. 

Those who were at the Munich meeting; did you hear anything?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Here's the thing about the way it is currently done. As long as the Dev Expert requires the use of the SD card in order to make changes, it is also a requirement that Devialet maintain a website to enable changes on the SD card. I would think that at some point the Dev Expert (and Pro) will reach end-of-life, but support of the Dev Expert Configurator will always be required as long as someone owns and uses the product. So sooner or later, that will be a huge problem. They may already have run into it a bit with the Expert to Pro to Pro w/CI upgrades.

Now as to whether it can easily be done.... they seem to already be working in that direction. If you enter your Dev IP address in your browser, it brings up something they call the Devialet Configurator. It is currently very limited in scope, but one thing it does have is the ability to upload a new DOS file. If it can do that (i.e. have the ability to store that file and then apply it for an update), it can surely do the same with the config file. The challenge is likely just trying to emulate the logic in the current Dev Expert Configurator into software that resides on your Dev Expert so that they can do away with the Expert Configurator on the Dev website.

Well, that's my hope anyway. Devialet has been very quiet about the new Devialet Configurator (no surprise there).
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Does anyone have any sound quality observations with respect to FW 12.3.0 DOS 2.2.2? I recall that earlier in this thread (P2) @ogs & @David A has some interesting observations, but nothing since.

Has anyone else noticed anything moving from Beta 12 or 14?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(19-Jun-2018, 10:59)Pim Wrote:
(19-Jun-2018, 09:06)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(19-Jun-2018, 08:30)Pim Wrote: Do you mean Linn had a system that used an SD card that had the config on it that needed to be inserted and required the system to be re-booted and then they decided to go with an Ethernet based GUI and that worked too?

As far as I know they never had an SD card system. I’ve owned Linn for many years and the upgrade process has always been managed through a PC or Mac app (Konfig) that talks to the Linn boxes over the network. It’s become even slicker in recent years (I do remember it being a bit buggy several years ago). Through Konfig you can configure and upgrade.

Guillaume

I feel that the point I was trying to make got a bit lost. I'm not saying that a network friendly config system is a bad idea. I'm just saying that because of the way the Devialet is built from the ground up it might not be as easy as people here think it is. Or even possible at all.

I find it almost incomprehensible that Devialet built a whole new board for CI with no thoughts of providing the space or means of having an integrated on-line process of upgrading the OS and tweaking the configuration. It’s a bit worrying that a piece of kit carrying such a hefty price tag is reliant on pre 21st century update processes.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
(19-Jun-2018, 11:47)Pim Wrote:
(19-Jun-2018, 11:34)BoyScout Wrote: I don´t see so many disadvantages in sd card vs online configuration.

I don't change my configs much either but I can see how those with different cartridges or subwoofers would love to be able to change settings on the fly. I just don't think it's something Devialet will implement soon or even at all. 

Those who were at the Munich meeting; did you hear anything?

Hi Pim,

Some background:
Yes I was in Munich (also at) Devialet and I think it is important that you understand what kind of company Devialet is. By the way, I am a financial auditor and specialized in companies in a situation like Devialet is in (LinkedIn in Dutch):

At Münich you could hear that Devialet is a very very bright technical driven company; top notch. At the same time that is the biggest problem also. The technicians - in combination with their patents - can almost produce and make everything the High ender can think of. Really. Till very shortly there were too many fantastic technical guys on the steering wheel of the ship (captain). Without a professional planning like Prince2 systems do offer (Can you follow me?). Shortly speaking, that's the main reason Devialet promisses things and some people are feeling that it is not always happening as promised. We became at Münich a presentation of the new company members; names with functiontitles. The responsibilities were for a financial auditor not clear yet....
But they are really on the bettering hand and I even heared a few times: NO. Yes we can build it, no we won't. I personally am very glad that the latest softwareversion for the Pro-CI machine (12.3.0 and in my account: good Devialet!) is really making steps forward. The Devialet is playing almost (oke, almost) without false messages and sounds terrific!
Devialet is in the world market incredibly small, but it is as on the moon: a giant step for mankind (and I can know with no dynamic speakers, lol). They sold about 7.500 Expert machines worldwide and have about 400 people employed right now. Including price, place, promotion and product personal and the shops. But the potention is huge and yes you have made the right choice: a Devialet!
They must earn money on the shortest way possible and therefore choices must be made. Renault-Opel, concerthalls live in your living room, surround sound, choices choices.....

Back to your question:
Yes "that in the fly" can be made. For sure. No I don't think it has priority at this moment. Security items with a SD card system are simple and therefore cheap to execute. Settings on the fly and at the same time essential functions are't working is a little strange don't you think? But it happened in the past: a technician is bussy with assignment A and sees possiblities B and C. A, B and C are implemented but the Devialet loses function D and nowbody knows. As long as I have the feeling a Prince2 approach is not steering the company I don't hope we wil get your ideas. In now time we are loosing something else...

Help to a future:
We at Devialet chat have a very large impact on the company. You don't think so, but believe me we do more than we think we do. The loudest shouter wins oftenly with a low priority profile. We could put more effort in a top 10 high essentials customers want-list. More structurely and on a daily and realtime bases. In a complex world I often make a top 10 high essentials also, before the ERP (SAP) is build and implemented. Changing the SD system would not be my top10 choice.

I hope I gave you something to think about (sd vs top10) and hear you soon.
1: Atelier d'Or no.75 (1.5m. AQ RCA-XLR), Heart 2812 QuadESL.nl, Kimber 8TC, WBT, Rel StentorII, Oppo105D (surround), Vodafone Next, Quad 303.2(!Quadrepair.nl), Kef RDM1, BenQW4000i, SBooster (3x), IfiX 3x, 125 inch, Stax 507 (2x) on Stax SRM-1S, SRM D-50, all on Iso-Ac. Gaia1, 2 and 3, Kemp Isolator source and power-, Kemp QA/ SNS plugs (6x), Furutech & ALAC maincables, AQ Blizzard, Van den Hul Mainstream, Optical 8k cables, Clearaudio (Synchro+Champion2+TT3 tangential+CM Bearing+Outer Limit+StradivariV2, 530uV, 200 ohms), NUC11 i7, Samsung-980Pro, -A8, -S24Ultra, Roon Life, Netgear 108, AQ Cinnamon all, Live cable USB, AQ jitterbug 5x, WB 18TB 2x

2: 220Pro, Kef R3, Rel Studio, Oppo103EU (surround), Quad 707(mod), Kef RDM2, all on Iso Acoustics 200, Gaia 3 & 1, LG Oled55, Furutech wall outlets(3x), AQ NRG-Z3 (2m., 5x), Kemp powerstrips, Audiotool filters, Oppo HA2+PM3 + AQ cinnamon cables

1900 recorded LP's 24/192, 850 DSD 5.1 SACD (via Oppo), 4800 ripped CD's, Qubuz

(19-Jun-2018, 16:16)Confused Wrote: Does anyone have any sound quality observations with respect to FW 12.3.0 DOS 2.2.2?  I recall that earlier in this thread (P2) @ogs & @David A has some interesting observations, but nothing since.

Has anyone else noticed anything moving from Beta 12 or 14?

Can I recant my earlier comments?

Yes, there are differences to the previous firmware but I've found out once again that it's easy to be negative about differences when you first notice them. There seems to be a large component of familiarity involved in what we prefer and when we hear differences we're into unfamiliar territory. I've found out once again with this FW that my opinions can sometimes change when I get used to the new.

In my system I now think there was a drop in the noise floor which let me hear a little more detail in the bass, something I initially interpreted as "dryness", and more solid/specific imaging which gave me a feeling of less spaciousness in the soundstage. After living with the new FW for a week and a half I no longer feel that the bass is dryer or that the soundstage is any less spacious. Yes, I still think the presentation is different but I think it has improved slightly and now that I'm used to the change I like it.

I think that this is the best my setup has sounded since the amp got the CI board upgrade. Devialet seem to be slowly improving sound quality as well as implementing the new streaming functionality the CI board provides.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Good point from previous poster about the risk of an online configurator that saves into an SD card. Who knows what happens to Devialet years from now, would such a web site still exist?

The only sure-fire way to avoid obsolescence is for the configurator host, or portal, to be residing in the Devialet flash memory. It would make the system self contained, and not dependent on any external systems.
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.