Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Fidelity Filter Designer
I've been on the fence about getting into room correction software and Focus Fidelity has been high on my list. Would love to see them have a big Black Friday sale as an impetus for me to get off the fence. Anyone had a chance to use Focus Fidelity in comparison to other such software?
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
Hi @mdconnelly
There are no plans for a sale. The price is already one of the lowest on the market, and I don't believe it's fair on customers who have paid the current price.
If you have any questions about the software, please feel free to e-mail or contact via https://www.focusfidelity.com/contact
(06-Nov-2022, 04:53)Focus Fidelity Wrote: Hi @mdconnelly
There are no plans for a sale. The price is already one of the lowest on the market, and I don't believe it's fair on customers who have paid the current price.
If you have any questions about the software, please feel free to e-mail or contact via https://www.focusfidelity.com/contact
No doubt it’s worth the price and I was being a bit flippant about the Black Friday thing.  The truth is really a matter of finding the time to tackle the project the right way.   I know more than a few folks that started down this path with various approaches (e.g. REW) only to get frustrated and quit.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Durham, NC USA
I can highly recommend Focus Fidelity Designer and it’s not just the great software but in addition the high value of David providing an oustanding support and his knowledge to get the best for your room.
As mentioned here, to achieve a similar result that would need months of investigation and a lot of time and energy.
Hi @mdconnelly , You can try out the freeware measurement program. This will give you some idea of the time and effort required to take measurements. The user manual is really more of a step-by-step guide https://www.focusfidelity.com/ImpalaManual.pdf
If you do take a set of measurements, I'd be happy to take a look if you send the ffm file.
(08-Nov-2022, 06:37)Focus Fidelity Wrote: Hi @mdconnelly , You can try out the freeware measurement program. This will give you some idea of the time and effort required to take measurements. The user manual is really more of a step-by-step guide https://www.focusfidelity.com/ImpalaManual.pdf
If you do take a set of measurements, I'd be happy to take a look if you send the ffm file.

Already starting down this path…. Mic and stand on order….  I’ll be in touch.
Durham, NC USA
New year update from Focus Fidelity. Great to see further improvements becoming available:

Happy New Year from Focus Fidelity.

Version V1.10.6.0 of both Impala and the Filter Designer is now released.

The changes include,

The addition of automatic update checks makes it easier to keep up-to-date with the latest versions, ensuring you always get the best results.
Impala will show a warning dialogue if excessive clock drift, more than 100ppm, is detected during measurement. Excessive drift may indicate other issues with the measurement, such as an audio streaming issue.
Impala includes improved error detection with WASAPI audio streaming.
The filter designer includes minor improvements to filter gain scaling. The software is less sensitive to where the overall target curve level is placed.
The user manuals include some minor updates to the content based on customer feedback and questions.

Finally, the reduced audio volume with the correction filter engaged is a question that comes up fairly often. The volume reduction is normal and is to be expected. With the filters in the signal path, music will be quieter than without the filters, usually by about 6 to 8 dB. You will need to turn your volume control up to compensate.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Oh amazing to see it evolving - and very useful features.
@Confused did you compare the new convolution to the old? I guess with the new Impala / FFD this should really make a noticeable difference.
(08-Jan-2023, 13:46)markush Wrote: Oh amazing to see it evolving - and very useful features.
@Confused did you compare the new convolution to the old? I guess with the new Impala / FFD this should really make a noticeable difference.

No, I have not tried the latest Impala or FFD. In a few weeks I will be getting delivery of a new sofa and changing the layout of my room a little. So for me there is little point trying this now, only needing to redo everything once the new furniture is in place.

Once the room is sorted though, this will be top of my "to do" list.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
For those that might be interested, Positive Feedback review of Focus Fidelity Filter Designer:
(also covers the Impala measurement module)

https://positive-feedback.com/reviews/ha...-designer/