Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Focus Fidelity Filter Designer
@Vivialet can you talk a bit about preferences / settings used?
(26-Jan-2023, 00:16)markush Wrote: @Vivialet can you talk a bit about preferences / settings used?

Any update?
The target curve is something you need to find yourself. It depends on you measurements, the speakers and you taste. Only rule is you should not increase the level more then 5-6 db.
(15-Jan-2023, 14:47)Confused Wrote:
(15-Jan-2023, 12:34)Vivialet Wrote: The target curve in this review is more than strange…

I also note that the article states that you can "import other curves". I know that you can import your own curves that you have created yourself using FFFD. I do not think you can import "other curves", from a data base or whatever. Maybe you can? 

Either way, this would be a nice feature I think, maybe with some kind of link to a data base of of the key curve variants to try.

Hi @Confused On the to-do list is a feature to import generic target curves from txt or csv files.
@Focus Fidelity That I guess is a very user friendly and highly appreciated and used feature when ready.
Because most don’t know how to manually adjust a target curve and would prefer a harman house curve etc to start.
Just received the latest e-mail newsletter, which announces that:

Quote:macOS versions of the Filter Designer and Impala are nearly ready for beta release testing. These will be universal executables tested on both Intel and Apple silicon.

The filter designer will also include updates to the target magnitude editor, making it easier to define the target shape. Importing target curves from *.csv or *.txt files will also be possible.

This is exciting news for me!  Looking forward to trying it.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Yes very much looking forward to it!
(08-May-2023, 09:19)markush Wrote: Yes very much looking forward to it!

Hi Markus. You asked this in another thread,  "Focus Fidelity Designer is definitely an amazing improvement (even more with the added clock drift feature). Can you give an update how things evolved for you in general and maybe you have some more insights / ideas for improvements."

I thought I would respond here, just to keep things on topic.

As mentioned earlier in this thread, I had made some changes to my room layout, so needed to remeasure the room using the latest Impala, and create new filters using FFFD.

No issues at all with the latest software. There is some additional functionality in FFFD, as well as the clock drift correction in Impala. Even with the improved features, I found both Impala and FFFD just as easy to use as ever.

I am also very pleased with the results. To be completely honest, I cannot state that I have observed any sound quality improvements from the latest version. They may well be there, with the clock drift feature and so on, but as I have improved the room layout a little (from an audio perspective), it is difficult to ascertain what results from what. What I can say for sure is that the results remain to be excellent.

Areas for improvement? For me, an "import curves" feature would definitely be something that I would like to try. (Generic house curves) This is mentioned above as being on the "to do" list, so I shall wait patiently.

Other than that, I personally do not see much room for improvement. I would like to see some more granularity in the Frequency (Hz) axis of the Target Magnitude graph, which is a very minor point, and that is about it.

Of course, if some improvements to the basic technology could be found, improvements that could improve the performance of the convolution filters and the resulting sound quality, then that would be great. I do not know enough to know if this is even possible, but it is nice to dream!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thank you @Confused for the update!
The usability & performance is really great and I hope many more will test this as it makes such an improvement to audio quality.
I also like to see import of curves as a nice feature to come up.
Maybe @Focus Fidelity can share some insights.

And to all reading: There is a new release for the MacOS platform (supporting both Intel & Apple chips)
So give it a try - really worth it.
HI @markush

You can now import target curves from csv or txt files. There are also some presets in the software for the Harman curve and bass boost curves.

@Confused There haven't been any changes recently to the filter generation algorithm, but some ideas are in the pipeline.