Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
IsoAcoustics OREA isolation footers
(07-Apr-2019, 06:05)awkaplan Wrote: Took delivery on four burgundy pucks yesterday.  So much has changed in my system that it’s hard to tell, but I needed something to provide isolation as I never purchased a proper rack.  They look gorgeous but are difficult to position somewhat as they are concave.  Dealer only had burgundy in stock and provided them at price near bronze.

This is confusing to me as I am not aware of Burgundy pucks so assume you are referring to the Bordeaux.  If so, these are rated for much heavier equipment and would have little, if any, influence on your system as they would not be loaded within their design range.
IsoAcoustics has three OREA models, each designed for different weight loads. The Bronze are for the lightest load with a weight cap of 8 lbs each making use of 3 of them ideal for an Expert Pro. The next weight design is the Indigo with a weight cap of 16 lbs each and the third is the Bordeaux with a weight cap of 32 lbs. I don't know of a IsoAcoustics Burgundy design, but I would agree that if you bought OREAs for a much heavier weight, it will have minimal benefit for the Expert Pro.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(07-Apr-2019, 15:48)mdconnelly Wrote: IsoAcoustics has three OREA models, each designed for different weight loads.   The Bronze are for the lightest load with a weight cap of 8 lbs each making use of 3 of them ideal for an Expert Pro.   The next weight design is the Indigo with a weight cap of 16 lbs each and the third is the Bordeaux with a weight cap of 32 lbs.    I don't know of a IsoAcoustics Burgundy design, but I would agree that if you bought OREAs for a much heavier weight, it will have minimal benefit for the Expert Pro.

Burgundy/Bordeaux—mixed them up.  That said, there's a performance curve on the IsoAcoustics site regarding weight load/performance.  Yes, there's a minor dip at the lower weights with the Bordeaux pucks.  Are they robust?  Yes.  Are they overkill?  Possibly.  Could they possibly underperform as compared to one of the lighter pucks?  I don't know.  Maybe I'll call IsoAcoustics and ask.  *shrugs*
(07-Apr-2019, 15:22)Wdw Wrote:
(07-Apr-2019, 06:05)awkaplan Wrote: Took delivery on four burgundy pucks yesterday.  So much has changed in my system that it’s hard to tell, but I needed something to provide isolation as I never purchased a proper rack.  They look gorgeous but are difficult to position somewhat as they are concave.  Dealer only had burgundy in stock and provided them at price near bronze.

This is confusing to me as I am not aware of Burgundy pucks so assume you are referring to the Bordeaux.  If so, these are rated for much heavier equipment and would have little, if any, influence on your system as they would not be loaded within their design range.

Dude/lady you know what I'm talking about.  Typo.
(07-Apr-2019, 17:41)awkaplan Wrote:
(07-Apr-2019, 15:22)Wdw Wrote:

So you bought "four" footers designed for a weight far greater than your system.  So please, don't get snarky with me.  I was polite and intended to be helpful.
(07-Apr-2019, 17:47)Wdw Wrote:
(07-Apr-2019, 17:41)awkaplan Wrote:
(07-Apr-2019, 15:22)Wdw Wrote: This is confusing to me as I am not aware of Burgundy pucks so assume you are referring to the Bordeaux.  If so, these are rated for much heavier equipment and would have little, if any, influence on your system as they would not be loaded within their design range.

So you bought four footers designed for to operate with a weight far greater than your system.  So please, don't get snarky with me.  I was polite and intended to be helpful.

Haha, I knew how they were rated ahead of time.  By your logic, though, none of the pucks are "rated" properly as that figure is given per puck from my understanding.  So unless you're sticking a single Bronze under a single-chassis unit, you're going to have quite a bit of headroom with any in the range.  Does that mean "minimal influence"?  No.  I am sure they are still serving their intended purpose. 

Helpful?  Appreciate the advice.
(07-Apr-2019, 17:40)awkaplan Wrote:
(07-Apr-2019, 15:48)mdconnelly Wrote: IsoAcoustics has three OREA models, each designed for different weight loads.   The Bronze are for the lightest load with a weight cap of 8 lbs each making use of 3 of them ideal for an Expert Pro.   The next weight design is the Indigo with a weight cap of 16 lbs each and the third is the Bordeaux with a weight cap of 32 lbs.    I don't know of a IsoAcoustics Burgundy design, but I would agree that if you bought OREAs for a much heavier weight, it will have minimal benefit for the Expert Pro.

Burgundy/Bordeaux—mixed them up.  That said, there's a performance curve on the IsoAcoustics site regarding weight load/performance.  Yes, there's a minor dip at the lower weights with the Bordeaux pucks.  Are they robust?  Yes.  Are they overkill?  Possibly.  Could they possibly underperform as compared to one of the lighter pucks?  I don't know.  Maybe I'll call IsoAcoustics and ask.  *shrugs*

Good point on the performance curves.   While the Bordeaux does drop at the lighter weights, it not nearly as dramatic as I thought.   Sorry I missed that.   I've found IsoAcoustics to be quite responsive so drop them an email and see what they say.      How that would translate to sound quality is anyone's guess (but if it were me, I think I'd always wonder ;-)
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(07-Apr-2019, 17:59)mdconnelly Wrote:
(07-Apr-2019, 17:40)awkaplan Wrote:

Good point on the performance curves.   While the Bordeaux does drop at the lighter weights, it not nearly as dramatic as I thought.   Sorry I missed that.   I've found IsoAcoustics to be quite responsive so drop them an email and see what they say.      How that would translate to sound quality is anyone's guess (but if it were me, I think I'd always wonder ;-)

Yeah, my guy wouldn't ship me something if it were a completely idiotic move.  There's quite a bit of pushback on my part before I make any purchase, and this has been the smallest of our transactions.  I even suggested four when three were suggested initially as an alternative to a prior isolation.  I'll drop IsoAcoustics a line, and if they tell me that I've made an error, I'll swap them out when I get a chance and post accordingly.
(07-Apr-2019, 18:08)awkaplan Wrote:
(07-Apr-2019, 17:59)mdconnelly Wrote:
(07-Apr-2019, 17:40)awkaplan Wrote: Burgundy/Bordeaux—mixed them up.  That said, there's a performance curve on the IsoAcoustics site regarding weight load/performance.  Yes, there's a minor dip at the lower weights with the Bordeaux pucks.  Are they robust?  Yes.  Are they overkill?  Possibly.  Could they possibly underperform as compared to one of the lighter pucks?  I don't know.  Maybe I'll call IsoAcoustics and ask.  *shrugs*

Yeah, my guy wouldn't ship me something if it were a completely idiotic move.  There's quite a bit of pushback on my part before I make any purchase, and this has been the smallest of our transactions.  I even suggested four when three were suggested initially as an alternative to a prior isolation.  I'll drop IsoAcoustics a line, and if they tell me that I've made an error, I'll swap them out when I get a chance and post accordingly.

@mdconnelly is right...email sean.morrison@isoacoustics.com.  I found him responsive and very helpful.
(07-Apr-2019, 18:22)Wdw Wrote:
(07-Apr-2019, 18:08)awkaplan Wrote:
(07-Apr-2019, 17:59)mdconnelly Wrote: Good point on the performance curves.   While the Bordeaux does drop at the lighter weights, it not nearly as dramatic as I thought.   Sorry I missed that.   I've found IsoAcoustics to be quite responsive so drop them an email and see what they say.      How that would translate to sound quality is anyone's guess (but if it were me, I think I'd always wonder ;-)

@mdconnelly is right...email sean.morrison@isoacoustics.com.  I found him responsive and very helpful.

I didn't reach out to Sean directly, but may if I don't get a follow-up after a few emails were exchanged.  The answer was essentially that there's a very, very slight advantage to the bronze, and I was referred to the chart posted on the site.  That said, my Pinot Noir pucks seem to be doing the job.  I'll have some extra headroom as well in case anyone wants to stand on my 140.  No numbers indicating poorer performance.  Just have the chart as reference.

Devialet Expert 140 Pro
Shunyata Alpha EF mains
Shunyata Alpha SC 2.5m
Dynaudio Special Forty
IsoAcoustics Aperta
IsoAcoustics Pinot Noir OREA x4