Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Last minute Summer Devialet Event at OAC with Mathieu Pernot! 12 July 2018
(13-Jul-2018, 02:27)G51 Wrote:
(13-Jul-2018, 00:16)Axel Wrote: @thumb5
Thanks for the great report, Ian. Going back to A5: you say that Devialet now recommend RCA-RCA connection between units. Did they say why? Are we to assume that sound quality will be better using this method of connection, rather than RCA-AES/EBU?
I guess this will be good news for people who have had problems with which resistance cable to use and having to use 75/110 Ohm transformers, and problems with longer cables (as you pointed out), or perhaps this is the reason they now recommend RCA-RCA, and nothing to do with SQ?

Same question from me.

Now apart from loving my 440pro ci (always dream it will deliver 600watt per channel but forget it now), I love Devialet company itself because it got Mathieu and Joachim and all the staff in the company who try their best to improve their products, and they now can be more feel free to speak.

It would be great to have more info on this point, anyone please?
Original d'Atelier No 91 Upgraded CI- Aurender N10- Chord Dave DAC-Chord Mscaler-B&W 800 D3- Isotek EVO3 Mosaic Genesis- Nordost Valhalla 2 power cable- Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cables- Nordost QB4 and Qx4- Cabledyne RCA-XLR- Transparent Ref XL AES/EBU- Synergistic Atmosphere AC Power Cords- Light Harmonic LS USB- Mutec MC3+USB- Audioquest Diamond ethernet- Étalon ethernet isolator
(12-Jul-2018, 20:41)thumb5 Wrote: 6) Are there any plans to increase playback resolution (or is the Pro-CI or Phantom physically capable of):
• Present - PCM to 24-bit/192 kHz and DoP / DSD64
• Future - PCM to 32bit/768kHz and DoP to DSD512, Native DSD to DSD512?
• Or anything above 192/DSD64?

A: [Not sure I captured everything relevant here...] USB offers the highest resolution as it has the highest raw bandwidth.  No immediate plans to increase supported resolutions.  (Although, there were some rash promises based on whether France win the World Cup...)

Re the last sentence in brackets, over to you Devialet........ Shy
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thanks for the great report, Ian. Going back to A5: you say that Devialet now recommend RCA-RCA connection between units. Did they say why? Are we to assume that sound quality will be better using this method of connection, rather than RCA-AES/EBU?
I guess this will be good news for people who have had problems with which resistance cable to use and having to use 75/110 Ohm transformers, and problems with longer cables (as you pointed out), or perhaps this is the reason they now recommend RCA-RCA, and nothing to do with SQ?

@Axel, and @Frnch: really sorry, I completely missed your question.  The thing about RCA-RCA was not a big announcement but rather a passing comment in conversation - I'm not sure it was meant to be particularly significant.  The point was made that using RCA-RCA meant standard cables could be used without worrying about impedance matching.  On the other hand it did mean losing an outout; I think that, rather than sound quality, was probably one of the driving factors behind using RCA-AES/EBU link cables - especially for some of the demo configurations where more than two Experts were chained.  For what it's worth, I still use an RCA-AES/EBU cable and won't be rushing to change it.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(17-Jul-2018, 21:09)thumb5 Wrote:

@Axel, and @Frnch: really sorry, I completely missed your question.  The thing about RCA-RCA was not a big announcement but rather a passing comment in conversation - I'm not sure it was meant to be particularly significant.  The point was made that using RCA-RCA meant standard cables could be used without worrying about impedance matching.  On the other hand it did mean losing an output; I think that, rather than sound quality, was probably one of the driving factors behind using RCA-AES/EBU link cables - especially for some of the demo configurations where more than two Experts were chained.  For what it's worth, I still use an RCA-AES/EBU cable and won't be rushing to change it.

Hi

I may be missing something here, but in my config when I set-up as RCA-RCA I can use all inputs/outputs on both Mono's, but when I use RCA-AES then I don't get the use of any inputs/outputs on the Companion except for the Sub Pre-out's. It doesn't bother me as I still use RCA-AES (got a special cable made up so sticking with it), and as I only use digital inputs (USB, Ethernet, Optical) then I don't need the other inputs anyway.

Cheers
John

1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
John, I believe you'd need to connect a trigger cable between master and companion in order to allow the inputs on the companion to be used. (I haven't needed to do this, just going by what others here have said.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(17-Jul-2018, 21:09)thumb5 Wrote:

@Axel, and @Frnch: really sorry, I completely missed your question.  The thing about RCA-RCA was not a big announcement but rather a passing comment in conversation - I'm not sure it was meant to be particularly significant.  The point was made that using RCA-RCA meant standard cables could be used without worrying about impedance matching.  On the other hand it did mean losing an outout; I think that, rather than sound quality, was probably one of the driving factors behind using RCA-AES/EBU link cables - especially for some of the demo configurations where more than two Experts were chained.  For what it's worth, I still use an RCA-AES/EBU cable and won't be rushing to change it.

Thank you!
Original d'Atelier No 91 Upgraded CI- Aurender N10- Chord Dave DAC-Chord Mscaler-B&W 800 D3- Isotek EVO3 Mosaic Genesis- Nordost Valhalla 2 power cable- Nordost Valhalla 2 speaker cables- Nordost QB4 and Qx4- Cabledyne RCA-XLR- Transparent Ref XL AES/EBU- Synergistic Atmosphere AC Power Cords- Light Harmonic LS USB- Mutec MC3+USB- Audioquest Diamond ethernet- Étalon ethernet isolator
(18-Jul-2018, 07:16)thumb5 Wrote: John, I believe you'd need to connect a trigger cable between master and companion in order to allow the inputs on the companion to be used.  (I haven't needed to do this, just going by what others here have said.)

I think Mr Thumb meant to say "an audiophile trigger cable"
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
Ian, it can't be too "audiophile"!

On both the 250 and 220 chassis, big chunky TRS connectors foul on the casework and end up only working intermittently/companion amp going in to standby.

If your amp didnt come with the AQ cable, a £3 amazon jobby and a craft knife do the job nicely...
In the past, it was always the case that:

'The "share sources from slave" box needs to be unchecked in order to able to select AES/EBU as a possible chaining link. The configuration will be the same as on the D-Premier but you will not be able to use the Companion's inputs.'

I don't think that this has changed with the CI board.

I just tried a configuration for dual mono with RCA/AES as the connection between master and companion and the RCA input which previously was the 'chaining input' becomes 'greyed out'. So it seems it is still not possible to select 'share sources with companion' except by using RCA/RCA - it's worth giving Dev help a prod (although they may all be on holiday?) to confirm.
Ovo

Same for me, RCA to AES link for mono’s means only Sub pre-out available on the Companion (I use both as Stereo out to my Sub). If I want to chain mono’s together and use the companion inputs then I don’t get the choice for Stereo Sub outputs, hence I’m sticking with RCA to AES link.
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)