Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
MELCO
I’m sticking to Roon interface accessing Melco contents via LAN. That saves me one USB cable.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
@tategoi Don't you find that using Roon to access Melco as a NAS has a detrimental effect over the SQ, as supposed to using Melco via Linn Kazoo? This is one thing has held me back in buying a Roon License.
(24-Nov-2018, 19:23)Rama Wrote: @tategoi Don't you find that using Roon to access Melco as a NAS has a detrimental effect over the SQ, as supposed to using Melco via Linn Kazoo? This is one thing has held me back in buying a Roon License.

Build wise I believe the Melco is one of the better data sources out there and I have not been able to detect any detrimental affects to the SQ together with Roon.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
@baconbrain Correct me if I am wrong, when using Melco as a NAS data is sent over the network from the Melco to the Roon Server. The Roon server then transmits the data to the streamer of your choice. So you are at the mercy of how robust your network is, this is where a device like AQ-SWITCH SE could make a big difference. All this obviously comes at a cost ($119 + €798).

If however you decide to use Melco as intended, the connection between your Melco and the streamer or DAC (if using USB out) is direct without the need for a robust network. All the network is required for is to initially assigning an IP address and continually provide control point accessibility. This should IMHO provide better SQ.
(25-Nov-2018, 10:53)Rama Wrote: @baconbrain Correct me if I am wrong, when using Melco as a NAS data is sent over the network from the Melco to the Roon Server. The Roon server then transmits the data to the streamer of your choice. So you are at the mercy of how robust your network is, this is where a device like AQ-SWITCH SE could make a big difference. All this obviously comes at a cost ($119 + €798).

If however you decide to use Melco as intended, the connection between your Melco and the streamer or DAC (if using USB out) is direct without the need for a robust network. All the network is required for is to initially assigning an IP address and continually provide control point accessibility. This should IMHO provide better SQ.

Depends a bit on your setup. I am utilizing the network bridge which is built into the Melco for the ethernet connection directly to my Roon Server. This eliminates the need for a switch in between.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
New firmware for Melco:
FW Ver 3.90 [20th December, 2018]

https://www.melco-audio.com/downloads/

[USB-DAC Local Player]
- Added more USB-DACs supporting MELCO Markerless DSD.
Brinkman Nyquist DAC
Cambridge Audio Edge NQ
iFi Pro iDSD
Marantz SA-12 / ND8006
Mytek digital Brooklyn plus / Liberty
Playback designs Dream DAC / Dream Transport / Melrot DAC

[Playback and Control]
- Improved stability of playback
- Improved OLED Title Display at change of track or increment in playlist in MODE0, Gapless playback.
- Improved OLED Title Display at end of playlist.
- Direct wired connection of iPad or Tablet to give control when in 'Direct Mode' without requirement for Router.
- "UP" button resets the playback when controlling by App.

[SMB sharing]
- Windows10 ver.1809 or later version cannot access to SMB sharing folder without ID/Password. So, for those Windows10 user can access to Melco Music Library with ID:nobody, Password:nobody.
- Improve file name and folder name indication

[Media Server]
- Updated to Twonky 8.5.1
- "Update Music Database" is changed title to "Clear and Rebuild Database". Rebuild Database includes Expansion Drive. (Previously rebuild database was only internal HDD).

[USB-CD Drive connection]
- Improve OLED display when playing music from connected USB-CD drive.
- Changed message when data disk is imported
- Checking message shows up when CD is already imported

[Support function]
- Added menu to check connectivity of each internet connection service
- Added menu to check internal drive
- Added confirmation display before creating archive file

[Others]
- Added menu to remove Expansion drive, no need to power off to remove
- Improve process of handling internal drive during boot up
- Improve backup and import via USB ports function
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
I'm interested how the "Direct Mode" control by iPad works.
(20-Dec-2018, 16:48)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I'm interested how the "Direct Mode" control by iPad works.

Since I am so interested in the direct connection without router (converter wlan to lan) should work! Or Melco mean the USB connection iPad -> Melco N1...?
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Germany / Bavaria
(20-Dec-2018, 17:11)K4680 Wrote:
(20-Dec-2018, 16:48)Rufus McDufus Wrote: I'm interested how the "Direct Mode" control by iPad works.

Since I am so interested in the direct connection without router (converter wlan to lan) should work! Or Melco  mean the USB connection iPad -> Melco N1...?

I did actually try a direct USB connection, and using the Melco app - and nothing happened. I might have something set wrong though.
(20-Dec-2018, 17:48)Rufus McDufus Wrote:
(20-Dec-2018, 17:11)K4680 Wrote:

Since I am so interested in the direct connection without router (converter wlan to lan) should work! Or Melco  mean the USB connection iPad -> Melco N1...?

I did actually try a direct USB connection, and using the Melco app - and nothing happened. I might have something set wrong though.

Ok, today is a Christmas party Angel! Tomorrow I need a little quieter, there is time to test and try. Will then report.
Germany / Bavaria