Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Master/Slave Link Summary
received this morning. Test to follow Smile

[Image: IMG_20160711_094948_zps39luucgg.jpg]

[Image: IMG_20160711_095018_zps1jjazrrd.jpg]
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
plugged ! I had to understand the CHAIN modification in CONFIGURATION.
The sound seems pretty good with a better stereo image .. ? have you noticed that ? I thought the stereo image was better only due a perfect speakers position ?
Many details appear in the music. Just to say but I believe it is a major gap.

But I want to test again the crystal.

How did you manage to compare with and without it ? I mean you have to save each configurations on different SD CARDS to switch quickly between a crystal and a RCA/XLR listening ?
DEVIALET 400 - RPI3 + DIGIONE picoreplayer - APERTURA ONIRA -
(11-Jul-2016, 18:32)jfp Wrote: plugged ! I had to understand the CHAIN modification in CONFIGURATION.
The sound seems pretty good with a better stereo image .. ? have you noticed that ? I thought the stereo image was better only due a perfect speakers position ?
Many details appear in the music. Just to say but I believe it is a major gap.

But I want to test again the crystal.

How did you manage to compare with and without it ? I mean you have to save each configurations on different SD CARDS to switch quickly between a crystal and a RCA/XLR listening ?
I started off by linking my two 200s RCA-RCA with the Crystal cable. I then bought a RCA-AES/EBU adaptor and linked the two Ds with the adaptor and Crystal cable. I noticed a deepening and widening of the soundstage and more definition of instruments. This was not a subtle difference that you really had to listen for, but an easily discernible improvement.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Pardon me for asking, but is the characteristic impedance of RCA-XLR cable 75ohm or 110ohm?
What brand of RCA-AES/EBU adaptor did you use Axel?
Auralic Mini (Sbooster LPSU), Rega RP8, Melco N1A, Devialet D200, Devialet 400, ELAC BS314, ELAC BS312, Sonus Faber Olympica 1, Audioquest (Victoria, Yosemite, Vodka Cat7, Carbon USB) Chord Epic Master/Companion link, Wireworld Oasis 7 speaker cable, Inakustik Reference LS-803 speaker cable,Isotek premium mains cables, TCI mains cables, Atlas mains unfiltered distribution block, Supra filtered mains distribution block, and synergistic research (red/black fuse,sort kone), and vertexaq (silver-jaya).
(12-Jul-2016, 20:47)helloworld1978 Wrote: What brand of RCA-AES/EBU adaptor did you use Axel?

It is made by Neutrik. Here's a link:

http://www.gear4music.com/Books-DVD-and-...GwodbG8Msw
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(12-Jul-2016, 06:36)waikeywi Wrote: Pardon me for asking, but is the characteristic impedance of RCA-XLR cable 75ohm or 110ohm?

All of the RCA/RCA cables I have bought have been 75 ohm as standard.
South Coast England
(12-Jul-2016, 20:50)Axel Wrote:
(12-Jul-2016, 20:47)helloworld1978 Wrote: What brand of RCA-AES/EBU adaptor did you use Axel?

It is made by Neutrik. Here's a link:

http://www.gear4music.com/Books-DVD-and-...GwodbG8Msw

In my opinion any additional connector will lead to some form of signal loss. But at £9.99 it would be worth a try if it does improve the soundstage as you say.
I have just posted this over on the 1000 Pro launch thread, but to keep it in context, it is worth repeating here:

I did ask about the master companion link. Apparently the SPDIF to AES can be utilised with either a 75 or 110 ohm cable, or something in between. At first, I was told 'it makes no difference', apparently because the AES/EBU has an input transformer that makes the input effectively blind to cable impedance, however, apparently a cable with a transformer is theoretically the ideal. (such as the Audioprana?)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(13-Jul-2016, 22:37)Confused Wrote: I have just posted this over on the 1000 Pro launch thread, but to keep it in context, it is worth repeating here:

I did ask about the master companion link. Apparently the SPDIF to AES can be utilised with either a 75 or 110 ohm cable, or something in between. At first, I was told 'it makes no difference', apparently because the AES/EBU has an input transformer that makes the input effectively blind to cable impedance, however, apparently a cable with a transformer is theoretically the ideal. (such as the Audioprana?)

Any idea as to why it would be ideal to have two transformers in the signal chain? What does the transformer on the cable do? Convert 110 ohm to 75, or vice versa?
South Coast England