Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Master/Slave Link Summary
...and the fact that an unbalanced "input" can´t become a balanced "output" into the companion anyway.

But nevertheless I read about sound quality improvement with such a hybrid cable that I get intrigued.
I tried the French Audioprana RCA-AES cable on my expert 400, but I was not impressed. I liked the OEM Crystal Cable better and  returned the Audioprana cable.
With my 440 pro I switched the OEM Audioquest link with the Shunyata Reasearch Sigma SPDIF and noticed a distinct improvement in clarity, detail, definition and subsequent imaging.
Needless to say I did not switch back.
Devialet 440 pro CI, Shunyata Research Sigma S/PDIF RCA link, In-Akustik Referenz LS-4004 Air , B&W 802 Diamond.
Aurender N10, SR Sigma AES/EBU 
2x Paul Pang OCXO dual switch, SR Sigma Ethernet, Acousense GISO GB Lan Isolator
Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2
SR Denali 6000/S V2, SR Alpha NR PL C19, Naim PL C15
IsoAcoustics Gaia I, Orea Bronze & Indigo
One point that has not been mentioned for a while.  The original D-Premier dual mono link could only be performed with a hybrid RCA/XLR style cable.  With the introduction of the Expert range, the ability to make the link with a standard "S/PDIF" digital RCA to RCA cable was introduced.  This also allowed the inputs on the companion to be used.

For the Expert range, Devialet themselves advised that the RCA/XLR link method was marginally superior, and furthermore, use of a cable that compensated for the 75 ohm to 110 ohm mismatch was probably the ultimate from a technical perspective.  (Cables such as the Audioprana) 

With the introduction of the Pro range, the advice from Devialet changed.  Apparently the S/PDIF RCA to RCA link is now just as good as the old hybrid connection method, with the added advantage that this removes the previous impedance mismatch issue, you just need a decent quality standard 75 ohm digital cable.

Of course this still leaves the debate as to if superior S/PDIF cables can have a better sound.  I am not going there today!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(13-Dec-2020, 20:28)mdconnelly Wrote: I once had this same concern.  Personally, I do not hear a difference between left and right channels.  I am running RCA to RCA with a trigger cable that allows me to use inputs on both units.  Since my 440 Pro is essentially two 220s, I even tried swapping the two 220s (ie.  swapping master/companion) to see if it sounded any different.  It did not.  Intellectually, it still seems to be a valid concern....  If different digital cables produce different sound, then how could it not produce a difference between left and right channels?  But to my ears in my system, I am content that there is no sonic impact of this.

I had the same left-right imbalance concern when considering if I should upgrade from a 250 to a dual-mono 1000. But it turned out it was no issue.

My theory for why the XLR sounds better, and why there isn't a problem of 'left-right balance', is because of "ground loops". Any cable that inter-connects two components which are grounded separately, becomes a potential path for ground loop noise. Ground loops will introduce noise into the ground plane of *both* devices, so in a dual-mono, it affects both Master & Companion, so 'left-right balanced' in a way.

Using the XLR input which is transformer isolated, and avoiding using any other electrical cable going between Master & Companion, avoids this extra path for a ground loop between Master & Companion.

And by the way, better not try to ground-lift the Devialet, because in the manual it explicitly says that the ground connection in the power cord is required.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI - AQ Diamond AES RCA-XLR Link
PC - ifi iDefender+ - FIBBR Alpha Optical USB + "Studer 900" LPS - Singxer SU-6 - AQ Diamond AES
PSB Imagine T3  AQ William Tell Zero / Tornado / DBS Level-X  -  PliXir Balanced AC
A simpler explanation, if one were needed, might be that it's just properly engineered and there isn't a problem in the first place Wink
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK