Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My thoughts on Devialet
(30-Mar-2020, 21:59)bernardl Wrote: perhaps it’s just me trying to convince myself it’s the case.

The most likely scenario.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
(31-Mar-2020, 14:11)markush Wrote: Regarding my tests on various locations (Austeia & Germany) also after the Pro CI upgrade there is a great sensitivity to power supply. It may not be that obvious for many because just switching to a better power cord or some power filter won‘t do it. Rather would recommend everyone try / rent a Audioquest Niagara 1200 which will be a mind-opener for example.
Last year I bought an Audioquest Niagara 1200 + 2 x Audioquest Blizzard cables. It was the best improvement I had since I purchased my D170 (now 220 Pro CI) seven years ago. I am now using 2 x AQ USB + JCAT USB Isolator to the D220 Pro as my main audio interface. I am very happy with my D220 Pro CI.
JRMC/ROON based Media Server - along C.A.P.S V4 Cortes (Win 10 Pro) -> LinkSys 5-Port Unmanaged Switch-> Media Renderer (JRMC; SoTM tx-USBexp, AQ NRG-Y3) ->Transparent AUdio Performance USB-> D220 PRO (AQ Blizzard)-> B&W 804S, Audeze LCD 2 Headphones; Audioquest Niagara 1200+AQ Blizzard; TV ->AQ Carbon Optical->D220 Pro
(31-Mar-2020, 14:11)markush Wrote: Regarding my tests on various locations (Austeia & Germany) also after the Pro CI upgrade there is a great sensitivity to power supply. It may not be that obvious for many because just switching to a better power cord or some power filter won‘t do it. Rather would recommend everyone try / rent a Audioquest Niagara 1200 which will be a mind-opener for example.

(31-Mar-2020, 14:14)disarmamant Wrote:
(30-Mar-2020, 21:59)bernardl Wrote: perhaps it’s just me trying to convince myself it’s the case.

The most likely scenario.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Have you ever tested a power regenerator device/high quality power cable in your system and not heard a difference or is your comment a theoretical one?

regards,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
(27-Mar-2020, 18:00)griffithstrife Wrote: First off let me thank you all for being so amazing, while I disagree with many of you on many things, we have always been civil. I have never in my personal experience encountered rudeness here, that is rare, and much appreciated.
Secondly if this is the wrong sub please forgive me.

I began my Devialet jounrney April 15, 2016 I purchased a 200 demo model for $4,500 on audiogon. I hooked it up to my Focal Sopra no2s and was in French heaven.

But I began to notice a bit of a disconnect between myself and other Devialet owners. The price I paid for my unit seemed to upset a few.

This gap would grow once the pro models where announced, I had never been to a Devialet dealer we had none here at the time.

But Now I owned one so I called around to see about trading in for the 220 pro. The lowest I was quoted was 6k one guy wanted 10k.

This baffled me how can they want more than MSRP are they in insane? I contacted the person I bought my 200 from he sold me a brand new 220 pro with full warranty for $4,200 I sold my 200 for $3,600

Now I know it might sound like I am trying to brag about what I onsider a good deal. But I am not.

I am trying to paint a picture of 2 worlds 1 where dealers tell you Devialet does not discount. 1 where Devialet stands next to giants like Gryphon, MBL and Dan D’agstino. The other where a cool dude from Greece is blowing these out his ass for 45 cents on the dollar.

Throw in the lack of communication, lack of updates and lack of respect for the people who bought at a dealer.

So I am out I sold my 220 pro and Moved to a Gryphon 300 Diablo with DAC, I loved the Devialet. But it was not what it is sold as

I worry about your intention behind your post.

Yes it may be the fact. But I don’t get 1000Pro in any channel for $15K, no way! If you can prove it please prove or don’t put a random number here, because it damaged the interest of the existing owners here, no evidence no assumption in pricing.

2nd, heavy discount is pretty normal, even the Brand like Wilson, MBL, you can get a huge discount too, and you get no updates, no communication and no better service.

So I think you should delete this post to avoid damage to existing Devialet owners using those random no evidence number you just made up in your little brain.

Thank you.
I agree with PeppaPig on this. This group has an extremely high of integrity allowing to read all posts and ideas at face value. I struggle with the purported pricing which is a major contributing factor for the letter.

The other issue, if you accept the pricing are correct or near correct is the assumption that Devialet themselves are solely responsible for the lack of pricing discipline. Part of my background is international consumer goods. Our biggest headache was dealers selling to other dealers at discounts. It happens for a bunch of reasons, to get quantity discounts, to pay off lines of credit, taking advantage of currency markets, etc. Trying to plug that cross boarder selling was like to plug a leak in a dam with your figures, you can only do so much. Then you get dealers who have low overhead just trying to make a couple of bucks per unit sold. Perhaps this is one of the reason the Devialet and many other manufactures are changing the channels of distribution. We just don't know.

To be clear I am not saying that friffithstrife does not truly believe what he is saying, and since he has already moved on it really doesn't matter. But it doesn't fit with what I have seen in the marketplace and I will admit that it is limited.
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada
Think the dealer in Greece he was referring to is Cosmosound Technologies/Echos Audio (Cyprus based). Haven’t seen ‘Cosmotech’ here recently but he is the forum user that offered everyone ‘trade prices’ when they were trying to sell their Devialet on this forum’s marketplace.

Their dealership was cancelled by Devialet I remember him telling us but that did not stop them selling new and heavily discounted Devialets. Even today there’s a 440 on their website.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(01-Apr-2020, 12:58)Norty Wrote: I agree with PeppaPig on this.  This group has an extremely high of integrity allowing to read all posts and ideas at face value.  I struggle with the purported pricing which is a major contributing factor for the letter.

The other issue, if you accept the pricing are correct or near correct is the assumption that Devialet themselves are solely responsible for the lack of pricing discipline.  Part of my background is international consumer goods.  Our biggest headache was dealers selling to other dealers at discounts.  It happens for a bunch of reasons, to get quantity discounts, to pay off lines of credit, taking advantage of currency markets, etc.  Trying to plug that cross boarder selling was like to plug a leak in a dam with your figures, you can only do so much.  Then you get dealers who have low overhead just trying to make a couple of bucks per unit sold.  Perhaps this is one of the reason the Devialet and many other manufactures are changing the channels of distribution.  We just don't know.

To be clear I am not saying that friffithstrife does not truly believe what he is saying, and since he has already moved on it really doesn't matter.  But it doesn't fit with what I have seen in the marketplace and I will admit that it is limited.

Devialet is very protective of their pricing regime.  I appreciate it.  The value of the Expert line, especially the more "modest" end, is probably going to remain buoyant in the foreseeable future.  In the US, there are some dealers who have felt they were burned in the past that will throw criticism left and right at Devialet because of things that happened during the D-Premier era, probably because they realized that it turns a six-figure customer into a "maybe" five-figure customer over a lifetime, as it's a "terminal" product...you're not flipping boxes every three years like with other blue-chip brands.  Incremental improvements can be picked up from the lowest bidder if the relationship is not managed well.  The Devialet Expert client is educated, wants simplicity, can be loyal (I would buy everything from my original dealer, who really earned the sale after 6-8 hours of demo but is half a world away), but is not going to generate the volume that other buyers will, and will probably require more hours.  I might be wrong.   

I can tell you that someone selling a 220 Pro new at those price points cited must be doing some type of laundering that warrants the charity there...because it truly is charity, even at volume.  Unless stolen or somehow ridiculously marked down, there is no way Devialet is properly invoicing an authorized dealer, or any dealer, for less than 5000 EUR.  I bought my 140 cash, and when the curtain was lifted a year later, I was shocked to see what a deal I got.  They really did me a favor.  This is coming from someone who is not very happy with the company still but has come to terms with things.  It's going to be a rough year.  They won't fold, though.  The audio market is still strong right now, but it is April.  Devialet is a halo brand and there are some growing pains...last time I checked, half of the employees worldwide had fewer than two years tenure at the company.  Fresh but scared.  You can be fresh but highly influenced by the status quo.  Many are just trying to keep dream positions. 

Sorry for the ramble, see my post re: Stereophile.  I hope it isn't duplicating another post.
Maybe we should close the discussion and welcome the person starting the thread (friffithstrife) to share his experience with the sound differences between the Devialat and the Gryphon. I'm curious about it since I never had the opportunity to hear one despite their big fan base, especially among Magico speaker owners.

So, please, let's bring the positive vibe back and turn this thread around into a useful information sharing.
(01-Apr-2020, 13:09)Antoine Wrote: Think the dealer in Greece he was referring to is Cosmosound Technologies/Echos Audio (Cyprus based). Haven’t seen ‘Cosmotech’ here recently but he is the forum user that offered everyone ‘trade prices’ when they were trying to sell their Devialet on this forum’s marketplace.

Their dealership was cancelled by Devialet I remember him telling us but that did not stop them selling new and heavily discounted Devialets. Even today there’s a 440 on their website.

I can assure everyone here, amongst the big brand that the OP was mentioned, I can get really low price too, nearly half of the RRP.

If one found a source that offers extremely low price, good luck. It’s not only Devialet, it happen to even more high end brands.

But OP’s post is really sucks. Shouldn’t post information like this publicly, it hurts some people.

And the rest of thing he mentioned, none of it is so true and so bad. Last update was Roon RAAT supported, communication? Did MBL communicate with you better? No! Full of xxxxx logic and unrealistic expectations.

I googled, did not find a $15K 1000Pro. Please share the link or photo of partial receipt that proves.

After sales services of Devialet so good, their support has been helping me effectively about any question I had. They fixed one of my remote purchased from eBay for free.

Sound quality, it’s amazing, some of the most expensive speaker used it for demo, what else you are expecting for this size of amp?
(01-Apr-2020, 15:12)PeppaPig Wrote:
(01-Apr-2020, 13:09)Antoine Wrote: Think the dealer in Greece he was referring to is Cosmosound Technologies/Echos Audio (Cyprus based). Haven’t seen ‘Cosmotech’ here recently but he is the forum user that offered everyone ‘trade prices’ when they were trying to sell their Devialet on this forum’s marketplace.

I can assure everyone here, amongst the big brand that the OP was mentioned, I can get really low price too, nearly half of the RRP.

If one found a source that offers extremely low price, good luck. It’s not only Devialet, it happen to even more high end brands.

But OP’s post is really sucks. Shouldn’t post information like this publicly, it hurts some people.

And the rest of thing he mentioned, none of it is so true and so bad. Last update was Roon RAAT supported, communication? Did MBL communicate with you better? No! Full of xxxxx logic and unrealistic expectations.

I googled, did not find a $15K 1000Pro. Please share the link or photo of partial receipt that proves.

After sales services of Devialet so good, their support has been helping me effectively about any question I had. They fixed one of my remote purchased from eBay for free.

Sound quality, it’s amazing, some of the most expensive speaker used it for demo, what else you are expecting for this size of amp?

As confused indicated, probably the OP was referring to 15k second-hand market. And indeed, for around 17k you have yourself a Pro CI 1000.

Anyways, each to its own ideas and views. Why not? Otherwise it would be a dull world.