Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
News about AIR-crackling noise from Munich
(15-May-2015, 19:39)midi Wrote: wait until the end of June, when spark works with the expert line. 

Hi midi was this confirmed by someone at Munich? I'm pretty sure I heard end of the year, but I can't remember who told me that.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
currently Spark is worse than sometimes white noise...at least for me...
If someday Spark can replace jRiver/jRemote I will probably switch. But that will take at least one more year.
(15-May-2015, 19:39)midi Wrote: But my impression is, that the solution (at least for the Mac/OS) is far far away.
I never ever had a problem with streaming from MacPro, iTunes via AIR and ethernet (dedicated fixed IP or not). Alternatively, as suggested by Devialet, I run iTunes-PureMusic-firewire-Weiss-AES-EBU on my D800. In both configurations no noise, no crackling, no nothing. Let me say that I also use Dirac room correction but avoid any of the more fancy alternatives to iTunes such as Audirvana, etc. When I tried them in the past it was always a hassle besides of not playing gaplessly.

In my experience it helps very often to setup the OS anew once in a while (e.g. every 1 1/2 year) on a completely deleted HDD or SSD and also to install the applications from scratch. Even though this is a few hours work, it is worthwhile in terms of sonic, speed and practical behaviour of the Mac. Installing and uninstalling software accumulates bits and pieces of left-overs in the OS-library that should be removed.

Don't you want to give it a try?
(19-May-2015, 09:06)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(15-May-2015, 19:39)midi Wrote: wait until the end of June, when spark works with the expert line. 

Hi midi was this confirmed by someone at Munich? I'm pretty sure I heard end of the year, but I can't remember who told me that.

Guillaume

Two Devialet guys told me that DIALOG will work in a few weeks with the expert line. I have assumed that I need SPARK to controll the DIALIOG, so SPARK should working too.
(19-May-2015, 14:19)Mohmm Wrote:
(15-May-2015, 19:39)midi Wrote: But my impression is, that the solution (at least for the Mac/OS) is far far away.
I never ever had a problem with streaming from MacPro, iTunes via AIR and ethernet (dedicated fixed IP or not). Alternatively, as suggested by Devialet, I run iTunes-PureMusic-firewire-Weiss-AES-EBU on my D800. In both configurations no noise, no crackling, no nothing. Let me say that I also use Dirac room correction but avoid any of the more fancy alternatives to iTunes such as Audirvana, etc. When I tried them in the past it was always a hassle besides of not playing gaplessly.

In my experience it helps very often to setup the OS anew once in a while (e.g. every 1 1/2 year) on a completely deleted HDD or SSD and also to install the applications from scratch. Even though this is a few hours work, it is worthwhile in terms of sonic, speed and practical behaviour of the Mac. Installing and uninstalling software accumulates bits and pieces of left-overs in the OS-library that should be removed.
I have different mac´s (and apple wlan routers) and with all this devices the same problem, so I have no hope that deleting and reinstalling everything is a solution. In addition I have still tried this with a brand new mac book, without any improvement. For me AIR is the problem. The only solution for me to avoid crackling noise is using a Mac via USB or a an Apple TV via optical or the Sonos Connect via Coax. But as I purchased the D120 I have done this under the aspect to use a wireless control with the possibility to stream high-res files. Both not possible with the other solutions. For the moment the Auralic Aries is a (expensive) solution, but then I have another device and I would depend on another software solution from Auralic and no multiroom solution.
(19-May-2015, 23:41)midi Wrote: I have different mac´s (and apple wlan routers) and with all this devices the same problem, so I have no hope that deleting and reinstalling everything is a solution. In addition I have still tried this with a brand new mac book, without any improvement. For me AIR is the problem. The only solution for me to avoid crackling noise is using a Mac via USB or a an Apple TV via optical or the Sonos Connect via Coax. But as I purchased the D120 I have done this under the aspect to use a wireless control with the possibility to stream high-res files. Both not possible with the other solutions. For the moment the Auralic Aries is a (expensive) solution, but then I have another device and I would depend on another software solution from Auralic and no multiroom solution.

I think the Apple Airport Extreme or Express are not good for streaming high resolution audio. Any router is a bad idea for fast switching tasks AFAIK. I use a dedicated (and fixed IP) ethernet line from the second ethernet port of my Mac to the D800. But the connection also works via my Netgear 4-port switch (not a router!), a connection that I used before the dedicated line (CAT 6A, CAT 5e also works well). Such connections also worked with my earlier LINN streaming gear. What's the quality of your patch cables?

To be honest, I think a few people (probably not you, midi) expect highrez streaming to work with a sub-optimal system or over a compromised network environment (wired or wireless). If it doesn't work as expected, AIR and D must be the culprits. From a developer's standpoint I assume that their testing will be done with up to date computer gear and network structures.

Similar complaints as here on devialetchat.com also exist at Linn's user forum (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/forumdisplay.php?fid=17) and often it turns out that the bottle neck was in the user's computer and network setup. The problem with D is that they don't delegate any technically versed person to follow the discussions here and to bring in advice as do Linn.
(20-May-2015, 07:51)Mohmm Wrote:
(19-May-2015, 23:41)midi Wrote: I have different mac´s (and apple wlan routers) and with all this devices the same problem, so I have no hope that deleting and reinstalling everything is a solution. In addition I have still tried this with a brand new mac book, without any improvement. For me AIR is the problem. The only solution for me to avoid crackling noise is using a Mac via USB or a an Apple TV via optical or the Sonos Connect via Coax. But as I purchased the D120 I have done this under the aspect to use a wireless control with the possibility to stream high-res files. Both not possible with the other solutions. For the moment the Auralic Aries is a (expensive) solution, but then I have another device and I would depend on another software solution from Auralic and no multiroom solution.

I think the Apple Airport Extreme or Express are not good for streaming high resolution audio. Any router is a bad idea for fast switching tasks AFAIK. I use a dedicated (and fixed IP) ethernet line from the second ethernet port of my Mac to the D800. But the connection also works via my Netgear 4-port switch (not a router!), a connection that I used before the dedicated line (CAT 6A, CAT 5e also works well). Such connections also worked with my earlier LINN streaming gear. What's the quality of your patch cables?

To be honest, I think a few people (probably not you, midi) expect highrez streaming to work with a sub-optimal system or over a compromised network environment (wired or wireless). If it doesn't work as expected, AIR and D must be the culprits. From a developer's standpoint I assume that their testing will be done with up to date computer gear and network structures.

Similar complaints as here on devialetchat.com also exist at Linn's user forum (http://forums.linn.co.uk/bb/forumdisplay.php?fid=17) and often it turns out that the bottle neck was in the user's computer and network setup. The problem with D is that they don't delegate any technically versed person to follow the discussions here and to bring in advice as do Linn.

May I ask with a switch, how do you setup the IP address for the Mac and Devialet for them to talk to each other? 
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(20-May-2015, 09:49)hk6230 Wrote: May I ask with a switch, how do you setup the IP address for the Mac and Devialet for them to talk to each other? 

If you are not using a dedicated line, i.e. go to a switch, just set DHCP in the configurator. With the switch be shure to identify which one is the WAN port and don't confuse it with the other ports.

The following is for a dedicated line:

In the configurator: In the ethernet settings, set DHCP to off and define a fixed IP. For example: aaa.bbb.ccc.yy. Subnet mask is of course 255.255.255.0

Then, in your Mac's network settings, configure an unused ethernet port IPv4 manually, enter an IP address, e.g. aaa.bbb.ccc.xx, set the subnet and leave router's IP empty.

aaa and bbb are the first two blocks of the IP number that your Mac's DHCP assigns to itself.

ccc=3 digit number that's within the range of free IP addresses.

in my case xx=yy+5

This worked flawlessly for me.
Thanks, i will give it a go and see how it goes.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(20-May-2015, 09:49)hk6230 Wrote:
(20-May-2015, 07:51)Mohmm Wrote:

May I ask with a switch, how do you setup the IP address for the Mac and Devialet for them to talk to each other? 

I am using a CAT-7 network in my house and CAT-7 cables between my devices.

Sorry, but Devialet has promised that high-resolution streaming AIR is possible and they recommend Apple extreme and express devices for that. So it should work or I can´t make this promise.

An ethernet connection between my mac and the devialet is not the comfortable wireless solution I am searching for and I have hoped I have bought with the Devialet.