Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom blown up
You also experienced your phantoms to "blow up" ?
Yep - and today make the that three out of three. Latest one blew Saturday eve. Wasn't being played, but was moved slightly. It sets on a "tree" and possibly the power supply cord was not fully inserted. Tripped the breakers again too.
(11-Jun-2018, 07:10)GarthP Wrote: Yep - and today make the that three out of three. Latest one blew Saturday eve.

3/3 is pretty worrying. It seems like the “Heart Bass Implosion” might not be worth the trouble...
(11-Jun-2018, 09:25)antilles Wrote:
(11-Jun-2018, 07:10)GarthP Wrote: Yep - and today make the that three out of three. Latest one blew Saturday eve.

3/3 is pretty worrying. It seems like the “Heart Bass Implosion” might not be worth the trouble...

It's worth it, trust me  Big Grin
(11-Jun-2018, 10:34)Extra Gravity Wrote: It's worth it, trust me  Big Grin

Believe me, I love it too. But if this is a harbinger of a 100% eventual failure rate - on something effectively unrepairable - this has the potential to be very, very bad.
Fortunately, so far there are not too many reported total failures of Phantoms on this site. And most of them have been handled well by Devialet. I own Silver Phantoms since March 2015, but have replaced the first ones by Golds when they appeared towards end 2016. My oldest Phantom I‘m still using is a Silver from June 2015 and I use my Phantoms on daily basis and often also for concert level volume at 70 or higher. So far no issues with any of them. So, I guess when 3/3 fail totally there must be an issue with this batch or with the electrical supply (over voltage of more than 250V or under voltage of less than 100V or defective power line that produces shortcuts). This is definitely not normal and Devialet might be able to find the cause.
(12-Jun-2018, 15:57)streamy Wrote: Fortunately, so far there are not too many reported total failures of Phantoms on this site. And most of them have been handled well by Devialet. I own Silver Phantoms since March 2015, but have replaced the first ones by Golds when they appeared towards end 2016. My oldest Phantom I‘m still using is a Silver from June 2015 and I use my Phantoms on daily basis and often also for concert level volume at 70 or higher. So far no issues with any of them. So, I guess when 3/3 fail totally there must be an issue with this batch or with the electrical supply (over voltage of more than 250V or under voltage of less than 100V or defective power line that produces shortcuts). This is definitely not normal and Devialet might be able to find the cause.

I can only assume its either a batch issue or the units are susceptible to having the power lines work loose at the back of the units if they are occasionally moved a little. The bang I got (get) was like an electrical arc or a fuse blowing.

I have been cooperating with Ping (Devialet support) on trying to diagnose problems. Spark has a bug report which sends diagnostic info back to Devialet. It indicated a connection issue to one of the Phantoms, but that was the one I had unplugged because it blew. As for electrical supply, I have had not one single issue with any of my other electrical equipment in the eight years I have lived in this house. And the failures have happened in different rooms / circuits too so if the supply is a problem then they are very sensitive to it.

I am no electrical engineer, but I can't help thinking that a simple internal fuse in the right place would prevent any serious damage occurring. Whilst the breakers in the house tripped when the Phantoms went pop, the fuses in the plugs supplied by Devialet were unharmed.

We've just tried the factory reset (plugging an ethernet cable from the phantom directly to a router and switching power on and off several times) but to no avail. Even the lights on the router don't wake up (and I have triple checked the cable is inserted and good).

Having said all of this, I love the units (I have five in total) and they have been very good to me so far.  Spark on Windows is a dog though, but I rarely use it.
Well, Devialet have agreed to replace the latest broken Phantom which is a relief.

What is worth pointing out to everyone is that they have attributed its failure (and by inference the failures of the previous two) to the fact that I was using TP-Link AV2000 power line networking devices and had plugged the Phantoms' power lines into the pass-through sockets on said devices. I must admit I cannot understand why they would cause such a failure, but I'm happy to abide with their condition that I do not use them going forward.

As I understand it, the built-in PLC that Phantoms' have would be impaired/defeated by the filters in the AV2000 pass-through power socket. Whilst I can see that this would affect the Phantom's choice of transport, I'm less sure on how this could cause a blow up. I only put the AV2000 there because the built in PLC was not effective and the WiFi it therefore defaulted to was unstable. Since Phantom's first try ethernet, it was succeeding using the AV2000 and therefore worked fine.

So perhaps it was that the pass-through socket was somehow not feeding sufficient or stable enough current to the Phantom. The units are rated as supplying up to 13A so I'm unsure again about this line of thought.

I'm curious to know if anyone else uses PLN devices with Phantoms. In any case, it would seem that Devialet would prefer that you did not.
(15-Jun-2018, 10:01)GarthP Wrote: I am no electrical engineer, but I can't help thinking that a simple internal fuse in the right place would prevent any serious damage occurring. Whilst the breakers in the house tripped when the Phantoms went pop, the fuses in the plugs supplied by Devialet were unharmed.

This may seem pretty counter intuitive but in the uk at least, the fuse in the plug is there solely to protect the power cord. Yes, I was so surprised when i read posts by an electrician and electrical eng about this that I checked the regs and it’s true. The device should protect itself and in the event of catastrophic failure the plug fuse stops the cord melting/catching fire. The plugs fuse relates to how much current the cord can handle, not the device. I think a lot of people will be surprised by this.

You’d very much hope the RCD would trip before the power cord fuse blew. Yes, the Phantom itself should have some sort of internal protection, but clearly this either doesn’t exist, failed, or didn’t blow/trip quickly enough - which could happen in catastrophic failure or no doubt numerous other conditions.
No idea what internal protection Pantoms have btw, but presumably they need to allow a lot of power through and so can’t be set too conservatively otherwise they’d blow all the time.

Thank goodness things have evolved so we have multiple levels of fail-safe.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(17-Feb-2017, 22:20)dogbait Wrote: About 6 months back I explicitly asked Devialet support if they could give me more info on repairing and servicing of the Phantom. After a bit of prodding they admitted that they couldn't repair them since they (at that point in time) had not been able to successfully pry it open without damaging the unit!

Could be a one off issue with my unit, but considering it's the third generation of Phantom it doesn't bode well for its longevity if it's got reliability issues.

All products have faulty ones that don’t make the desired life span. But my 1st Gen silvers still sing after many years  Heart  Hope this helps the confidence!
2x Phantom I Gold Opera de Paris 2.12.3 on Branch