Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Roon RAAT and "An audio file is loading slowly"
(13-Feb-2019, 23:20)mdconnelly Wrote: The good news... Roon RAAT is released!

The bad news (for me) is that it is not behaving well with hi-res flac.  On playing pretty much any album at 192kHz, 24Bit (and sometimes with 96khz), I'm getting...  

An audio file is loading slowly.  This may indicate a performance or hardware problem.  

The audio often drops out and occasionally the track is skipped.   It is happening with both my music and with Qobuz in Roon.  This also happens occasionally with 96kz, 24Bit music.  I've not seen it (yet) with normal CD res music.

This is only happening via Roon RAAT.   It does NOT happen with Roon AIR nor with my microRendu to USB input.   In perusing the Roon forums, it seems that when others have seen this in the past, it has often been network issues.   I'm running RoonServer on Win 10 i7 desktop PC on a gigibit network with structured wiring throughout my home.  I've not had any issues with Roon before now (well, at least not since I got rid of Devialet AIR to use Roon AIR).   

Anyone else run into this?  I have posted the question on the Roon forums.   I feel a need to start troubleshooting my network, but hardly know where to begin since I've not seen any network issues until this.

On the plus side, I have to concur that everything playing via my Expert Pros since the firmware/DOS upgrade has sounded better (well, except for the whole issue above ;-)

Sorry to hear about this, certainly annoying.  I recently revamped my small network in hopes of improving performance, and saw similar issues.  I hope this hasn't been posted already, but to solve my issues, I gave my ROCK CORE as well as Expert Pro static IPs, and locked them in with the router settings.  I also changed the DNS in the CORE settings to use Google's service (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  The remote, the ROCK, everything is faster now.  It actually queues up RAAT tracks too quickly sometimes—it'll cut off the first half-second or so of the first song I choose in a new playlist. My Expert Pro is connected via WiFi.

I've been fiddling with Wireshark and standard ping in the terminal to check up on my new network—I experience zero dropouts or anomalies, but am curious about packet loss, signal strength, etc.  Try pinging both your core machine and your Expert Pro.  Take your network apart and put it back together again as simply as possible. 

Then again, I may be completely wrong here.  Just something to try perhaps.
(21-Feb-2019, 11:40)awkaplan Wrote:
(13-Feb-2019, 23:20)mdconnelly Wrote: The good news... Roon RAAT is released!

The bad news (for me) is that it is not behaving well with hi-res flac.  On playing pretty much any album at 192kHz, 24Bit (and sometimes with 96khz), I'm getting...  

An audio file is loading slowly.  This may indicate a performance or hardware problem.  

The audio often drops out and occasionally the track is skipped.   It is happening with both my music and with Qobuz in Roon.  This also happens occasionally with 96kz, 24Bit music.  I've not seen it (yet) with normal CD res music.

This is only happening via Roon RAAT.   It does NOT happen with Roon AIR nor with my microRendu to USB input.   In perusing the Roon forums, it seems that when others have seen this in the past, it has often been network issues.   I'm running RoonServer on Win 10 i7 desktop PC on a gigibit network with structured wiring throughout my home.  I've not had any issues with Roon before now (well, at least not since I got rid of Devialet AIR to use Roon AIR).   

Anyone else run into this?  I have posted the question on the Roon forums.   I feel a need to start troubleshooting my network, but hardly know where to begin since I've not seen any network issues until this.

On the plus side, I have to concur that everything playing via my Expert Pros since the firmware/DOS upgrade has sounded better (well, except for the whole issue above ;-)

Sorry to hear about this, certainly annoying.  I recently revamped my small network in hopes of improving performance, and saw similar issues.  I hope this hasn't been posted already, but to solve my issues, I gave my ROCK CORE as well as Expert Pro static IPs, and locked them in with the router settings.  I also changed the DNS in the CORE settings to use Google's service (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4).  The remote, the ROCK, everything is faster now.  It actually queues up RAAT tracks too quickly sometimes—it'll cut off the first half-second or so of the first song I choose in a new playlist. My Expert Pro is connected via WiFi.

I've been fiddling with Wireshark and standard ping in the terminal to check up on my new network—I experience zero dropouts or anomalies, but am curious about packet loss, signal strength, etc.  Try pinging both your core machine and your Expert Pro.  Take your network apart and put it back together again as simply as possible. 

Then again, I may be completely wrong here.  Just something to try perhaps.

Hello, my mac mini (music database) suddenly became slow and sluggish, with interruptions of up to a second! Have recently recorded a new MacOS update, was it because? Yes, the update changed the network settings of Duplex. I have always hired without flow control and without energy-efficient ethernet, that was misplaced. With full duplex without everything, it fits again, fast and no more misfires! Rolleyes
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
Last weekend I had the "Audio file is loading slowly" issue. I also had the issue that my Devialet was shown as "uncertified". Trying Roon RAAT this morning, Roon performed a software update, the Devialet was still shown as uncertified. I tried a hard reboot of the Devialets, Roon was still showing uncertified. About 10 minutes later, the red uncertified text vanished and was replaced by Devialet Expert 1000 Pro. Also, the "Audio file is loading slowly" issue has gone. In summary, Roon RAAT is now working perfectly for me, all good.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(24-Feb-2019, 11:21)Confused Wrote: Last weekend I had the "Audio file is loading slowly" issue.  I also had the issue that my Devialet was shown as "uncertified".  Trying Roon RAAT this morning, Roon performed a software update, the Devialet was still shown as uncertified.  I tried a hard reboot of the Devialets, Roon was still showing uncertified.  About 10 minutes later, the red uncertified text vanished and was replaced by Devialet Expert 1000 Pro.  Also, the "Audio file is loading slowly" issue has gone.  In summary, Roon RAAT is now working perfectly for me, all good.

Is the Roon update V1.6 (build 401)?    If so, it didn't fix my Roon RAAT dropouts or 'Audio file is loading slowly...' error.   But I will say that occasionally I don't get the error nor dropouts, but most of the time I do so I mostly quit trying to use Roon RAAT to my Devialet.    But strangely enough, after the update yesterday, I had two occasions where Roon AIR stopped playing and had a bit of crackling noise.   I hadn't heard that in a long time.    Stopping and restarting the track fixed it.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
@mdconnelly - yes, the latest build 401. Although there is nothing in the change log to suggest that stability with a Devialet should be improved, so I am guessing that the fact everything now works for me is just a coincidence. For what it’s worth, I also filled in the Roon feedback form that was linked earlier in this thread and mentioned my earlier problems. I’m sure they will get everything sorted before too long.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
@Confused - I'm hoping you're correct on Roon resolving the issue. It's hard to judge just how wide spread the issue is. Quite a few have reported it here and on the Roon forums, but many others say it's working perfectly. I'm sure that must correlate with something but damned if I know what. I trust Roon will figure it out.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Durham, NC USA
I have a low spec roon core (synology ds216+ II w/ 4gb ram) and my experience has shown that if I output to the Devialet Air protocol, I have no issues at all, the system is able to convert dsd256, dsd128 with little or no issue at all (processing speed for dsd 128 ~ 8.0x / for dsd256 ~ 1.4x). However, if I use the roon RAAT protocol, dsd128 and dsd256 are impossible (processing speeds 0.9x and 0.4x respectively). 

Why is the conversion in RAAT more demanding than in AIR, I have no idea!...
There was a note yesterday on the Roon forums that acknowledged this problem and that they are continuing to work on it with hopefully a solution soon.

Given that it is working fine for many, I have continued to try various permutations of the PCs running RoonServer and ethernet cables & configurations between server, router and Devialet. Last night I tried forcing down my PC ethernet speed from the standard gigabit speed that my home network runs at to 100 mbps full duplex. Damn, that worked! No more "audio file loading slow..." error. No dropouts.

Any network engineers out there that may be able to explain what's going on? I've never experienced any poblems on my home network and never an issue streaming RAAT to another endpoint. Could there be an issue with Devialet's ethernet and RAAT at the gigabit speed?

For those that are NOT having a problem using Roon RAAT to your Expert Pro, what is the speed of your ethernet on the box running Roon Core?
Durham, NC USA
Interesting find, @mdconnelly. My Ethernet connection is 10/100 Mbps, and works fine with RAAT.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Mine is all gigabit and I have problems, but not on WiFi which will be slower, when I get time I'll try dropping it down.

WiFi isn't a long term solution for me as it messes with vinyl.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution