Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon - the next step?
(07-Mar-2018, 08:52)Womaz Wrote: I think I have now narrowed it down to a choice between the Zenith MK2 or the Roon Nucleus Plus.
As I can trade in the Melco this takes a bit of the hassle away so that, and the doubts about the lack of support I would get if i went the NUC route have led me to this conclusion.
The prices are similar, but the Zenith has the SSD hard drive in , whereas the Plus does mot have a HD. I could just use my MyPasport via USB though or install an internal drive myself.
The Zenith has advantages of some good reviews and is highly regarded, and looks quite smart too. The Plus is fairly new, but is basically made for Roon and is much more powerful and this will help with longevity. I will experiment with DSP especially with my headphone listening so the extra power may be useful.

Maybe you should not forget, that the Innuos has an open OS and you can use it also without ROON.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
@midi yes I know this is an option. I am trying to take my time withe the decision as I keep favouring one over the other and then changing my mind ;-)
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
The only drawback for Zenith MK II with Devialet is that there have been other review saying that Ethernet connection between the streaming port of Zenith MK II and the CI board has some compatibility issues. Do not know if this issue is now solved or not.
(09-Mar-2018, 15:35)Avanti Wrote: The only drawback for Zenith MK II with Devialet is that there have been other review saying that Ethernet connection between the streaming port of Zenith MK II and the CI board has some compatibility issues.  Do not know if this issue is now solved or not.

I dont have a Pro so not sure that will affect me. I will be using a USB connection to my 200 if i go down the Zenith route
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
You say you've narrowed down the choice to the Zenith MK2 or the Roon Nucleus Plus.

The Zenith appears to have all the functionality you are after, and it has a good reputation for sound quality, thanks in part a very high quality power supply.

Do you see any key advantages for the Nucleus? It does have more processing power, but I cannot see that is much of a benefit in terms of how you want to operate the unit. Unless maybe you want to start using Roon's upsampling capabilities?

For me it looks like the Zenith wins, but maybe I am missing something?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(09-Mar-2018, 17:51)Confused Wrote: You say you've narrowed down the choice to the Zenith MK2 or the Roon Nucleus Plus.

The Zenith appears to have all the functionality you are after, and it has a good reputation for sound quality, thanks in part a very high quality power supply.  

Do you see any key advantages for the Nucleus?  It does have more processing power, but I cannot see that is much of a benefit in terms of how you want to operate the unit.  Unless maybe you want to start using Roon's upsampling capabilities?

For me it looks like the Zenith wins, but maybe I am missing something?

You are spot on, that is exactly the conclusion i have come to, I just try not to make quick decisions when it comes to my Hifi as I have done so in the past with regret. So i have thought about it and I am making changes to a system and a sound I love, for one reason really,Roon. It is what I have always wanted, it works......and then had my first blip this morning when i could not get Roon app to open as it could not find Roon Core. It was a temporary issue but it made me take a step back.
The Zenith is def the favourite now as its simple and that suits me. I think the SQ will be as good as my Melco , hopefully better as its SSD which is only available on the higher Melco models. So summing up I am almost there Smile
(04-Mar-2018, 16:26)Womaz Wrote: I am currently trialing Roon, but it’s a must keep for me. I love the simplicity of it all.
So in the next couple of months I am going to make some changes to my set up to accommodate it as at present I am using my lap top as the core and I don’t want that as a long term solution.
My listening now is almost exclusively Tidal, but I do have about 2000 albums in FLAC file, and the odd 24bit album in there too
At present I have the Devialet 200 connected via USB to the Melco N1A.  I am looking to replace the Melco with something similar but with Roon installed . I want a USB connection as in my room/system it sounded much better .
I know there are other ways I could do this and I may consider these too but for the purposes of this post I am looking at solutions where I could just simply replace the Melco with one more piece of kit
The obvious ones for me appear to be the Innuos and Roon Nucleus products .
I would appreciate any input from any forum members who have been on a similar journey or are thinking about it as there appear to be numerous options and the more I read the more confusing it gets .
I am up in Newcastle and so it’s very difficult to audition too.

Hi - the simplest solution is to buy a:
QNAP TS251+ NAS with 8GB RAM = £350
Install 2x 1TB SSDs circa+ £180 each.
Install roonserver, its a QNAP app so couldn't be easier

roon on QNAP automatically installs Devialet AIR drivers so once installed will instantly talk to your 200 via Ethernet/swtich or the rear USB3 port can be configured for audio out. 

No need for anything else other than an iPad/iPhone.
Audionet DNA / roon / ProAc SM100s
(09-Mar-2018, 18:49)cereal killer Wrote:
(04-Mar-2018, 16:26)Womaz Wrote: I am currently trialing Roon, but it’s a must keep for me. I love the simplicity of it all.
So in the next couple of months I am going to make some changes to my set up to accommodate it as at present I am using my lap top as the core and I don’t want that as a long term solution.
My listening now is almost exclusively Tidal, but I do have about 2000 albums in FLAC file, and the odd 24bit album in there too
At present I have the Devialet 200 connected via USB to the Melco N1A.  I am looking to replace the Melco with something similar but with Roon installed . I want a USB connection as in my room/system it sounded much better .
I know there are other ways I could do this and I may consider these too but for the purposes of this post I am looking at solutions where I could just simply replace the Melco with one more piece of kit
The obvious ones for me appear to be the Innuos and Roon Nucleus products .
I would appreciate any input from any forum members who have been on a similar journey or are thinking about it as there appear to be numerous options and the more I read the more confusing it gets .
I am up in Newcastle and so it’s very difficult to audition too.

Hi - the simplest solution is to buy a:
QNAP TS251+ NAS with 8GB RAM = £350
Install 2x 1TB SSDs circa+ £180 each.
Install roonserver, its a QNAP app so couldn't be easier

roon on QNAP automatically installs Devialet AIR drivers so once installed will instantly talk to your 200 via Ethernet/swtich or the rear USB3 port can be configured for audio out. 

No need for anything else other than an iPad/iPhone.

I have to disagree, what is simpler is buy a zenith ........that’s obvious surely Big Grin
OK true Smile but how much is one of those with 2TB SSDs??"!
Audionet DNA / roon / ProAc SM100s
@cereal killer well it’s a more expensive route I agree, but that’s not really a concern for me. It’s more about a simple solution for me , and a solution where I will have support if I need it