Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade 120
Just to complete the story: I re-activated my Roon account, re-installed it on my MacBook Pro and told Roon where my audio files are. Roon immediately recognised my Devialet and I thought, well, easy-peasy! But, after selecting a track for playing, Roon responded 'Transport: Device in Use'. This seems to be a frequently found error message after looking it up on Roon's help site. I followed Roon's instructions for the preferences settings in AIR ('never stream automatically to it'), but this didn't help. I had to quit the AIR application on my Mac, and voilà, streaming took off!

Next, I downloaded Roon's remote app for my iPad, and there I sat in my living room, streaming music from my G-Tech HDD in my study. I haven't had the time for extensive testing, this will come later on today. But the sound was really amazing, very transparent, I would even rate it a bit higher than my beloved Aurender N100H! But again, these are only initial impressions and I have to follow this up with extended testing, particularly concerning the stability of streaming. But so far, a pleasing experiment.

Attached Files Image(s)

@Sailor4W thanks for the followup, this totally echo's my experience: Roon and Devialet are a perfect match - and I can take a box out of the living room. After a month of "testing", I'm now seriously considering selling my Aurender.
(21-Sep-2018, 10:16)alaw Wrote: @Sailor4W thanks for the followup, this totally echo's my experience: Roon and Devialet are a perfect match - and I can take a box out of the living room. After a month of "testing", I'm now seriously considering selling my Aurender.

Oh poor Aurender  Sad, I am not this far yet, but if things hold up, the Aurender will be switched off! There is one caveat with Roon, namely the lack of Qobuz integration. But alas, one can‘t have it all. I can still stream Qobuz via AIR and it’s own app. Maybe now that Qobuz is available in the States (or at least shortly), its integration could become fessible, who knows.
I keep you posted.
I now had Roon running for four hours without a glitch, smooth uninterrupted streaming from my MacBook Pro in the study to my Devialet 120 in the living room, controlled by my iPad. So far very good!
The sound quality achievable with Roon is amazing indeed. From all the setups I have tested up to now, I like Roon best, by far! Smooth, airy and well resolved sound. While with the USB-connected Aurender I had to attenuate the highs by -3 dB (at least) to tame my ATCs from soundinding too bright, I set the highs back to to 0 dB. I am truly amazed how good the Devialet sounds! If Roon stays stable, I am afraid it will go into retirement  Confused
I have tested Roon with my setup over the weekend. Streaming of audio files stored locally on my G-Tech HDD works wonderfully, no glitches, nothing. Really great and trouble-free. And the sound is very, very good! My Aurender N100H is disconnected and awaiting retirement :-))

However, streaming music from Tidal is not free of glitches. There are a few stutters, a few hisses, and a few drop-outs. Not very often, infrequent, but they happen. My question is: does the CI board get rid of these problems? Or is streaming via Tidal still troublesome?

Or, is there something obvious that could improve streaming from Tidal?

Thanks for your input!
Paul, are you streaming Tidal via Roon? The stutters and drops are more likely due to ISP performance (or perhaps your ISP modem is not the newest) especially if local streaming works fine, and the CI board will not change that. Make sure the Mac/PC is not running any other apps. My Aurender is retired too... I'll wait a month or so before deciding its fate, but I see little point in keeping it.
(Yesterday, 10:28)alaw Wrote: Paul, are you streaming Tidal via Roon? The stutters and drops are more likely due to ISP performance (or perhaps your ISP modem is not the newest) especially if local streaming works fine, and the CI board will not change that. Make sure the Mac/PC is not running any other apps. My Aurender is retired too... I'll wait a month or so before deciding its fate, but I see little point in keeping it.

Good idea, I haven’t thought about my ISP. Just recently, I bought their newest modem, at least from this point, all is new. However, if the provider isn’t up to task, then, well, you are perfectly right that no CI upgrade, however good the board is, will ameliorate things. I’ll look into it, thanks for the hint! I usually do not run any other software while running Roon. My MBP is armed to the teeth, though, I don‘t expect it‘ll run to its limits, although I have to check processor usage.

Yes, once I grasped the whole concept of Roon and it’s communication to the Devialet, I wonder how I could ever live without Roon  Rolleyes