Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade 120
I have tested Roon with my setup over the weekend. Streaming of audio files stored locally on my G-Tech HDD works wonderfully, no glitches, nothing. Really great and trouble-free. And the sound is very, very good! My Aurender N100H is disconnected and awaiting retirement :-))

However, streaming music from Tidal is not free of glitches. There are a few stutters, a few hisses, and a few drop-outs. Not very often, infrequent, but they happen. My question is: does the CI board get rid of these problems? Or is streaming via Tidal still troublesome?

Or, is there something obvious that could improve streaming from Tidal?

Thanks for your input!
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
(24-Sep-2018, 10:28)alaw Wrote: Paul, are you streaming Tidal via Roon? The stutters and drops are more likely due to ISP performance (or perhaps your ISP modem is not the newest) especially if local streaming works fine, and the CI board will not change that. Make sure the Mac/PC is not running any other apps. My Aurender is retired too... I'll wait a month or so before deciding its fate, but I see little point in keeping it.

Good idea, I haven’t thought about my ISP. Just recently, I bought their newest modem, at least from this point, all is new. However, if the provider isn’t up to task, then, well, you are perfectly right that no CI upgrade, however good the board is, will ameliorate things. I’ll look into it, thanks for the hint! I usually do not run any other software while running Roon. My MBP is armed to the teeth, though, I don‘t expect it‘ll run to its limits, although I have to check processor usage.

Yes, once I grasped the whole concept of Roon and it’s communication to the Devialet, I wonder how I could ever live without Roon  Rolleyes
Now that I have most issues solved and I finally decided for Roon (it does sound better than my Aurender, hate to admit it), I am keen on upgrading! Has anyone experience with upgrading a Devialet? How long does it take? I am almost prepared to drive to Paris and dropping the 120 at Devialet‘s posh Place Vendome just to expedite things ?.
(26-Sep-2018, 12:49)Sailor4W Wrote: Now that I have most issues solved and I finally decided for Roon (it does sound better than my Aurender, hate to admit it), I am keen on upgrading! Has anyone experience with upgrading a Devialet? How long does it take? I am almost prepared to drive to Paris and dropping the 120 at Devialet‘s posh Place Vendome just to expedite things ?.

There are many, many posts on upgrading, as the majority of owners on DC have been through one upgrade process or another. I think the average time is about two weeks, but if you live in France, it would probably be much quicker.

I wouldn’t be tempted to drive your amp to Paris, as the upgrades are performed elsewhere. They’d probably manage to lose your amp if you took this route.  [Image: confused.gif] [Image: smile.gif]
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
I kept silent lately as I was experimenting with Roon a bit. I tried to get my setup to work properly, that is, my MacBook Pro placed in my office, streaming via WiFi to my Devialet, and all controlled remotely by my iPad. The WiFi was built by an AirPort Extreme connected to my router that very recently had been upgraded to a 1 Gb/s unit, and two AirPort Extremes acting as satellites to stream the signal to my Devialet two floors downstairs. The Devialet was connected via ethernet to the final AirPort Extreme.
After an initial success, my Airport Extremes started to act up and I got all sorts of crackles and drop outs. Also, my iPad failed to connect to my MacBook. All sorts of problems, making it absolutely impossible to use Roon.
I of course searched the internet for WiFi routers yielding good results with Roon. One system mentioned to be great was Eero. I looked it up, liked it very much, but Eero is not certified for Europe. Other systems frequently mentioned were Ubiquiti and Orbi Netgear. So I went ahead and ordered an Orbi RBK53 (AC3000), consisting of one router and two satellites. Setting the system up was kind of OK with Orbi‘s app (not the best app, but it‘s all right). Set up the configurator at devialet‘s, transferred it to the the 120, and started streaming. So far for two hours absolutely flawlessly, no crackles, no dropouts, nothing, absolutely smooth. Naturally, I have to test the system much longer, but initial impressions are very favourable!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)