Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Upgrade D-Prem?
So, the big question I'm grappling with right now is whether to upgrade my D-Premier to a 250. I gather that there are sonic improvements, but are they worth £3K?

What's concerning me is the D-Premier is likely to become a legacy product, and won't benefit from future developments. Thierry was clear that all future work was focused on the new platforms.

Anyone got any views on this?
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
Hi Oz,

In same place as you. I can't warrant £3k on this so have decided to stay as is. I thought long and hard and just decided what other pleasure might I get from spending £3k elsewhere in my life - decided to spend much, much less setting up a 2nd system (already had the kef ls50s).
I thought about it too and came to the opposite conclusion, that it had to be done.

Future software updates won't be available for the D-premier according to Devialet.

Also if you want to upgrade you have to do it soon, they close that opportunity at the end of July.
(31-May-2014, 08:34)Ekmanc Wrote: I thought about it too and came to the opposite conclusion, that it had to be done.

Future software updates won't be available for the D-premier according to Devialet.

Also if you want to upgrade you have to do it soon, they close that opportunity at the end of July.

I just did not see what software revision I need. Full blown DRC - that may have made me consider seriously but SAM - no.
Upgrading the D-Premiere into a D250 is recommended. I did it myself and there is so much more than just SAM that comes with the upgrade. All internal electronics are changed - only the chassies of the amplifier and the remote control is kept. You really get a D250 with new serial number and packaging as a result. New 5 year warranty and a DSP with much higher capacity which opens up for future soft- and firmware updates.

Soundwise the D250 is better compared to the D-Premiere on every level. Better resolution, more tuneful low end and better 3-dimensional presentation of the soundstage.

I think the upgrade was worth the cost in every aspect.

Best regards
Bjorn
- Proud Devialet owner since 2011!

Main system:
Devialet D250 Pro, Magico Q3 speakers, Shunyata Anaconda speaker cables, Shunyata Sigma HC power cable/Shunyata Cyklops V2 power conditioner/Shunyata Digital power cable, Shunyata DF-SS cable lifters, Jenving CAT8+ Ethernet cables, Auralic Aries Mini with SBoost power supply, Shunyata Venom USB.

Working at Akkelis Audio in Gothenburg, Sweden
I upgraded my d-Premier 6 month ago and sonically and because of the greater flexibility with wired Ethernet and USB it was worth the money spend. especially the MC phono input is now really top notch.
I have to admit that I bought a second NOS d-premier 2 weeks ago (to upgrade this one two and to end up with an 800). having the direct A/B comparison I once again could justify the upgrade.
2nd dpreview now is allready for its wellness trip in France.
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
(31-May-2014, 17:24)Mka Wrote: I upgraded my d-Premier 6 month ago and sonically and because of the greater flexibility with wired Ethernet and USB it was worth the money spend. especially the MC phono input is now really top notch.
I have to admit that I bought a second NOS d-premier 2 weeks ago (to upgrade this one two and to end up with an 800). having the direct A/B comparison I once again could justify the upgrade.
2nd dpreview now is allready for its wellness trip in France.

Thanks for your comments, and Bjorn too - sounds like there's a good case to be made.

I think I'm inclined to go for the upgrade, mainly because I don't want to get left behind. The regular updates are a great feature of owning a Devialet, and I'd be gutted in a couple of years if something special came along that I was missing out on.
Devialet 1000 Pro. Martin Logan Montis, Michell Gyrodec, Melco N1ZH, Mutec MC3+ USB
Another option would be to sell your d-premier and buy a new 200, and in the future add another 200 for dual mono. Dual mono, with balanced drive, is such an improvement over the standard stereo.
As far as I understand, 200 and 250 are identical electronics wise and only differ in the case department with 250 having better cooling, hence 800 vs 400 watts in dual mono.
If you upgrade to 250 now and want dual mono in the future, you have to get another 250 or the "slave" 250 with stripped inputs. Which is considerably more $.
I had 2 d-premier's. Upgraded one on the first availability before 7.1 announcement. Now the second one is in France for make over. Had I known that 200 (then called 170) would enable this capability, I would have chosen this road as well.
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
(01-Jun-2014, 13:04)Kunter Wrote: As far as I understand, 200 and 250 are identical electronics wise and only differ in the case department with 250 having better cooling, hence 800 vs 400 watts in dual mono.

i understood from the discussion with devialet in Munich at the high end Show, that the Input Board and the DSP Board is the Same, however the the Amp Section is different and the PSU is different.

Does anyone has detailed pictures of devialet 200 inside?
Bricasti M1 SE DAC -> Pass labs XP30 & XP25 phono -> Bryston B28sst2 -> Sonus Faber Amati Futura  -> JRiver MC 21 -> Synology NAS / Quboz  - Denon DP 7000 SME 5012
D1000pro -> Magico V2 -> Fanless NUC i5 (Broadwell) -> Jriver MC 21/ Bauer DPS3i / Lyra Kleos
(01-Jun-2014, 13:40)Mka Wrote:
(01-Jun-2014, 13:04)Kunter Wrote: As far as I understand, 200 and 250 are identical electronics wise and only differ in the case department with 250 having better cooling, hence 800 vs 400 watts in dual mono.

i understood from the discussion with devialet in Munich at the high end Show, that the Input Board and the DSP Board is the Same, however the the Amp Section is different and the PSU is different.

Does anyone has detailed pictures of devialet 200 inside?

Yes, it would be also really good to get some more specific details on these differences. Are the PSUs definitely different in the 200 and 250?

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK