Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Version: Firmware 13.1.3 + DOS 2.2.4 Date: 2019-02-12
(13-Feb-2019, 20:50)jmlight1 Wrote: I'm going to break into the regularly scheduled Roon discussion, and give up my first (non-Roon) impressions.

Performed the update to 13.1.3 smoothly, loaded my config file back on and put on Sonny Rollins Saxaphone Colossus on the table.  Honestly, its a great album, and it sounded very good, but my ears did not detect any differences of note in SQ versus before the upgrade.  However....
I next started listening to a ripped FLAC file of Eliane Elias I thought about you playing on Foobar 2K, and while I have no way offering any kind of measurements, I will simply say listening to this recording after the upgrade provided an etheral experience.  I love this recording, and after the update I was captivated with how wonderful it sounds.  The soundstage and separation appears wider than before, the background dead silent, and her voice lifted me up as never before.  Of course I need to listen to much more, but my first impression on SQ after the update is very good.

One interested mind wants to know which Eliane Elias album you were listening to. I've got 3 of her albums and I enjoy her work a lot.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(13-Feb-2019, 21:39)David A Wrote:
(13-Feb-2019, 16:38)brit Wrote: Have now downloaded the latest Devialet firmware for Devialet RAAT, and must say that I am very impressed. All works fine and SQ remains fantastic. Just one thing I have noticed, and that is an anomaly in the Signal Path. Whilst the Path recognises that my 1000 pro is the RAAT device, the graphics at the bottom shows my device as a Devialet Expert Pro 250! Not too sure what the issue is here - is it me or is there a minor bug? Has anyone else noticed this?

David

I don't have a dual mono amp but I think I know what's going on.

The dual mono amps are 2 stereo amps configured together. Roon only communicates over the network with the master and it reports information that the master returns. The master in your case is a 250 and that's what the info it is sending back to Roon is obviously saying and in one way what Roon is saying is correct. It's seeing a 250 on the network. The 250 is doing things which make it operate as a 1000 but the internals of the master are those of a 250.

I don't think it's a bug, I think it's simply the result of the fact that Roon is talking to a 250. The info the 250 is returning to Roon doesn't include information stating that it's a 250 configured in mono mode and also feeding another 250 with the two of them making a 1000. Maybe Devialet can change the data returned to Roon over the network but I'm not certain I'd call what you're seeing a bug. It could also be seen as an anomaly arising from the fact that you're using two 250s in a specific way but the amp Roon is talking to is a 250 and it just so happens that the master 250 is also communicating with another 250, the companion.
Whilst I understand, to an extent, what you are saying, at post #27 @Elztalbiker seems to indicate that his D440 monos are OK, but that his D1000 is not. So it would seem to be OK with the 440 but not the 1000 Huh . I have sought advice from Devialet, so await their input.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
OK, I read things a bit too fast and didn't look closely enough at the post.

The 440 and the 1000 are dual monos with different amp pairs. The photo shows the signal path reporting a 1000 so it's sending back the right info to Roon. Where it says 250 is at the bottom where it's not showing signal path info, it's providing a link to the manual. Does the 1000 get a different manual to the 250 or does the 1000 get the 250 manual which includes info about the paired combination of two 250's?

The signal path is correct, it's reporting a 1000. Perhaps it's also showing a link to the right manual and there is no separate manual for the 1000. just the 250 manual with info covering the dual mono setup.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(13-Feb-2019, 23:02)David A Wrote: OK, I read things a bit too fast and didn't look closely enough at the post.

The 440 and the 1000 are dual monos with different amp pairs. The photo shows the signal path reporting a 1000 so it's sending back the right info to Roon. Where it says 250 is at the bottom where it's not showing signal path info, it's providing a link to the manual. Does the 1000 get a different manual to the 250 or does the 1000 get the 250 manual which includes info about the paired combination of two 250's?

The signal path is correct, it's reporting a 1000. Perhaps it's also showing a link to the right manual and there is no separate manual for the 1000. just the 250 manual with info covering the dual mono setup.

Hi @David A , an interesting hypothesis, but it is strange that if I select Roon/AIR the Signal path shows my Devialet 1000 pro, so why can't the Devialet RAAT Signal Path? I still think it is as bug - a minor, annoying, one which does not stop me enjoying the music through Devialet RAAT Smile. As indicated earlier, I have asked the question of Devialet, so let's see what they come back with.

David

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(13-Feb-2019, 16:38)brit Wrote: Have now downloaded the latest Devialet firmware for Devialet RAAT, and must say that I am very impressed. All works fine and SQ remains fantastic. Just one thing I have noticed, and that is an anomaly in the Signal Path. Whilst the Path recognises that my 1000 pro is the RAAT device, the graphics at the bottom shows my device as a Devialet Expert Pro 250! Not too sure what the issue is here - is it me or is there a minor bug? Has anyone else noticed this?

David

Brit

Yes, I have a 440 pro that is displaying as a 220 pro in the Roon signal path and in audio settings.

This could be coincidence but when I logged into my Devialet account My Products shows I have 2 220 pros instead of a 440 pro.

Nick
(14-Feb-2019, 08:19)brit Wrote:
(13-Feb-2019, 23:02)David A Wrote: OK, I read things a bit too fast and didn't look closely enough at the post.

Hi @David A , an interesting hypothesis, but it is strange that if I select Roon/AIR the Signal path shows my Devialet 1000 pro, so why can't the Devialet RAAT Signal Path? I still think it is as bug - a minor, annoying, one which does not stop me enjoying the music through Devialet RAAT Smile. As indicated earlier, I have asked the question of Devialet, so let's see what they come back with.

David

I understand your confusion about the different displays, and I can't give you any definite answers. I've tried to come up with some possible explanations but they are my best guesswork, not knowledge.

I am going to say 1 thing however and that is that you have made the same mistake in each of your 2 posts #24 and #34. In both posts, the reference to the amp which you have referred to as being what the signal path shows is not shown in the signal path.

The signal path is that part of the display which starts with the line identified as "Source" and ends with the line identified as "Output". That is the section of the information display which shows the actual signal path. In post #24 the signal path shows at the line with the Roon logo to the left that the amp is a 1000 Pro and that also shows that the signal is being sent using RAAT. In post #34 the signal path does not identify the amplifier but it shows instead an entry for "Devialet AIR" and that the signal is being sent using AIR.

In both cases the area you have highlighted with a ring where the amp is identified along with a line image of a Devialet is not part of the signal path. That area doesn't show anything to do with the signal path, it provides a link to the manual for the device which is the signal end point.

Now I'm assuming it's the same amp in both cases and I have no idea why it should show as a 250 area for the link to the manual in the first post and as a 1000 in that place in the photo in the second post but there is a significant difference between the 2 examples. In the first photo Roon is using RAAT and RAAT is designed to allow Roon and the end device to communicate with each other in ways in which AIR, which Roon is using in the second photo, is not designed to do. It's intriguing that in the RAAT photo, Roon correctly identifies the amp as a 1000 in the signal path display but shows it as a 250 at the point where it gives a link to the manual, and in the second photo it doesn't identify the amp in the signal path display but does show it as a 1000 in the area for the link to the manual.

What is clear is that in the case where the amp is actually identified within the signal path info, in post #24, the amp model is actually correctly identified. The signal path info in post #34 does not identify the amp model, no identification is made at all, but the place where the link to the manual is given correctly identifies it.  That's bizarre, I know, but the actual signal path info in the photo of that display when RAAT is being used is correctly showing your amplifier. It isn't the signal path that is wrong, it's the identification of the amp at the point where a link is given to the manual.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
In terms of sound quality, as others have reported, the soundstage is more holographic,  more detail in the presentation, tighter bass and in general a more musical flow, Via AIR. Switching to Roon ready, I am not sure yet that it sounds better than AIR. The soundstage is wider, but the tonal balance seems on the edgy side. I can hear way more detail, however. I need to make more comparisons, as I have only heard a few songs. It might be that the power is impacted as we have had major load shedding in SA. 

I will make proper comparisons between AIR and ROON in the next week, and report my findings.
220 Pro/CI, Well Tempered Versalex/Kiseki PurpleHeart, QNAP HS 251+ NAS/Roon, Furutech e-TP86 power distributor, Audoquest NRG10 Power Cable, Furutech Flux-50 filter, Furutect Powerflux Power Cable, Furutech Speakerflux Speaker Cables, Sonus Faber Stradivari. 
(13-Feb-2019, 21:42)David A Wrote:
(13-Feb-2019, 20:50)jmlight1 Wrote: I'm going to break into the regularly scheduled Roon discussion, and give up my first (non-Roon) impressions.

Performed the update to 13.1.3 smoothly, loaded my config file back on and put on Sonny Rollins Saxaphone Colossus on the table.  Honestly, its a great album, and it sounded very good, but my ears did not detect any differences of note in SQ versus before the upgrade.  However....
I next started listening to a ripped FLAC file of Eliane Elias I thought about you playing on Foobar 2K, and while I have no way offering any kind of measurements, I will simply say listening to this recording after the upgrade provided an etheral experience.  I love this recording, and after the update I was captivated with how wonderful it sounds.  The soundstage and separation appears wider than before, the background dead silent, and her voice lifted me up as never before.  Of course I need to listen to much more, but my first impression on SQ after the update is very good.

One interested mind wants to know which Eliane Elias album you were listening to. I've got 3 of her albums and I enjoy her work a lot.

David, it is "I Thought About You - A Tribute to Chet Baker"  2013 European release
https://www.discogs.com/Eliane-Elias-I-T...ter/997366

Lovely album
Expert 140 Pro CI  Zu Omen Mk II DW's
(14-Feb-2019, 16:53)jmlight1 Wrote:
(13-Feb-2019, 21:42)David A Wrote: One interested mind wants to know which Eliane Elias album you were listening to. I've got 3 of her albums and I enjoy her work a lot.

David, it is "I Thought About You - A Tribute to Chet Baker"  2013 European release
https://www.discogs.com/Eliane-Elias-I-T...ter/997366

Lovely album

That's one of the albums I have and you're right, it is a lovely album.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I did before and after measurements today, I could measure no difference that was bigger than run to run variance. I did all the tests with Sam off.
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution