Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
certification of Roon RAAT starts this week
(21-Oct-2019, 08:53)David A Wrote: What the heck happened? They got certification, rolled out a firmware update  on 12 February this year which made the Expert Pros Roon Ready, and it includes a bug affecting some people with gigabit ethernet connections which still hasn't been fixed 8 months after the firmware release.

That's what happened.
Yup!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
I got the Nucleus+, set it up 2 days ago, everything went well. Today the Roon App won't boot up. After rebooting the Nucleus, audio setting of Roon to the D250 PRO became unstable, toggling between Roon Ready & Other Networked Device. After spending hours playing around, reinstalling Roon OS and Devialet FW/OS multiple times, it's stable now, but D250 Roon Ready became "Uncertified", and the icon changed from Devialet to generic Speaker. The other 2 non-RAAT D250 inputs (AIR and Airplay) are OK with the Devialet icon. Any Expert Users having the same issues?

I've also noticed there are 2 versions of the Roon Ready Certified FW 13.1.3.1 with different dates but same version number. The FW on the Configurator page is dated 12/02/2019 and the link on the Expert Roon Ready page is dated 2/11/2019.
Devialet Pro 250 Core Infinity; Meridian: Control15 (2), MS600 and 218 (3), Sooloos Core on QNAP, Roon Core on Nucleus+ 4TB SSD
Technics SL1200GAE, Audio Technica AT33PTG; Focal Utopia Scala; Transparent Reference cables; PS Audio P5 Regenerator (2), MIT in-wall conditioner
I just went to the Expert Pro Roon Ready page. All I see there is a link to download the latest firmware and clicking on that took me to the Configurator page with the February 2019 firmware. Can you provide a link to the page referring to a November 2019 firmware?

I am unaware of any firmware update for the Expert Pro since 12/02/2019. We've got a separate thread on the Roon Ready problem that's had solid traffic since then including some this year. No one has mentioned an update since last February's update. The latest news we've had is from about 2 weeks ago when it was reported that Devialet were testing a fix for the Roon Ready bug and that a firmware update should be released soon.

What input on your Devialet are you using to connect to your Nucleus+, ethernet or wifi? The bug does not affect wifi connections. If you're using ethernet do you have a gigabit speed connection or a 100mbps connection? The bug affects gigabit speed connections and slowing the connection speed to 100 mbps is usually a reliable workaround for the bug.

The normal symptom of the bug is playback stopping for periods, often with the Roon app displaying an "An audio file is loading slowly" error message and the bug is more common when streaming high res files, especially 192/24, than with CD quality (44.1/16) files. What you're reporting is a separate issue which I have occasionally had. I would suggest turning everything off. that is powering down both the Nucleus+ and your250 and removing them from power. If both are connected to an ethernet switch I would also remove it from power. Wait a few minutes and power things up again but power the Nucleus+ and 250 up separately, one after the other. See whether that gets everything working correctly again.

The issue about the 250 showing as "Uncertified" is different. The Roon software checks a database on Roon's site for info and data about Roon Ready devices. The amp is telling Roon that it is Roon Ready but Roon doesn't appear to be checking the site, possibly because it has a regular timetable for checking it and it has a record of when it last checked and it is currently not due to do an automatic check. Lots of us had this problem last year when the Roon Ready update was released and there was a problem on Roon's site which was causing it then. Roon fixed it but the fix did not immediately take effect, we either had to restart our servers to restart Roon if I remember correctly or wait a couple of days when, apparently, the Roon application we were running would do its regular automatic check and details of our amp would appear. I had the same thing happen a couple of times recently and strangely the thing that seemed to fix it for me was rebooting my ethernet switch rather than my Nucleus+ or 140.

Lots of funny things seem to happen from time to time on a network. There's a tendency to think of them as being due to a bug, especially in a case like this when there's a know bug with the Devialet and Roon, and sometimes the cause is a bug but sometimes it's not. Rebooting everything often fixes the problem. Sometimes you need to reboot only one thing and that can work if you know which device to reboot but in your case I'd try rebooting everything. Remove power from all devices first and then power them up one at a time. Keep a note of the order in which you power them up. If it happens again, in a short period, repeat the process but power them up in a slightly different order, once again keeping notes of the order. If you have to do it a number of times you might identify an order which works better, especially when it comes to avoiding the "Uncertified Device" problem, but hopefully it won't come to that.

It's also worthwhile checking your network connections and Roon have a page on their Knowledge Base called something like "Best Networking Practice". Take a look at it because it has info about some common networking problems and also some issues associated with particular network devices such as some wifi routers and the like. You may find something in there which will help you stop the problem from recurring.

Good luck. A lot of us have had network issues from time to time and they can be frustrating. I've had my a couple of problems over the years and learnt at first hand how frustrating they can be, especially when they strike right when you're in the middle of playing an album which sounds great, you're lost in the music, and everything cuts out in the middle of a phrase and you have no idea what's going on.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Per Devialet Support, there's only 1 version of V13.3.1 even though the dates are different. There's a known intermittent Ethernet connectivity issue, one can monitor if the IP address is stable going to the Devialet settings. It also causes connectivity issues with the iOS Devialet App (cannot connect or cannot adjust volume) and handshake problems with the Nucleus+ Roon Ready audio setting (switching between Certified and Uncertified) and Roon App (no volume control). Roon Support advised to unplug the power cord, wait 2 mins and reconnect, repeat twice. That seems to fix the issue temporarily and the IP address was stable after that.

There's a beta version with the Ethernet connectivity fix. Devialet mentioned that an update will be released after beta testing is completed, no confirmed release date.
Devialet Pro 250 Core Infinity; Meridian: Control15 (2), MS600 and 218 (3), Sooloos Core on QNAP, Roon Core on Nucleus+ 4TB SSD
Technics SL1200GAE, Audio Technica AT33PTG; Focal Utopia Scala; Transparent Reference cables; PS Audio P5 Regenerator (2), MIT in-wall conditioner
Can't wait to check it out (but not gonna hold my breath just yet ;-)

I wonder if they have a formal beta-tester program?
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
I've been running the beta version, it's working well so far. Ethernet and iOS App connectivity are stable (no blinking Ethernet IP address), the issue with Roon Ready certified audio setting is resolved.
(02-Apr-2020, 00:28)Saint0 Wrote: I've been running the beta version, it's working well so far. Ethernet and iOS App connectivity are stable (no blinking Ethernet IP address), the issue with Roon Ready certified audio setting is resolved.

How did you get the beta version?
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1
(02-Apr-2020, 05:23)sam1000 Wrote:
(02-Apr-2020, 00:28)Saint0 Wrote: I've been running the beta version, it's working well so far. Ethernet and iOS App connectivity are stable (no blinking Ethernet IP address), the issue with Roon Ready certified audio setting is resolved.

How did you get the beta version?

By signing the non-disclosure agreement he's just broken.  Tongue
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.

I truly hope you're right.... In response to a ticket I submitted to Devialet asking whether the latest firmware in beta test would address the Roon RAAT gigabit ethernet bug, this is the response I received...  I'm hoping that this front line support responder was simply not fully informed...
I am noticed about the beta test, which is mainly subjected to the system compatibly issue. Sorry that I don't think it can address the gigabit Roon connection.

@Saint0 - any insight on when this may be released?
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(02-Apr-2020, 15:33)mdconnelly Wrote:

I truly hope you're right.... In response to a ticket I submitted to Devialet asking whether the latest firmware in beta test would address the Roon RAAT gigabit ethernet bug, this is the response I received...  I'm hoping that this front line support responder was simply not fully informed...
I am noticed about the beta test, which is mainly subjected to the system compatibly issue. Sorry that I don't think it can address the gigabit Roon connection.

@Saint0 - any insight on when this may be released

Sorry, I don't know when the F/W update will be released except that Devialet has a fix for the Ethernet bug. I don't want to speculate what will be included in the next F/W update and when it'll be released.