Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 1 Average
dCS Network Bridge
(04-Mar-2018, 15:37)KIBM Wrote: Managed to get a loan of a dCS NB from Absolute Sounds - cheers Pedro.

Previously my pecking order for streaming on a MacMini has been

1. Amarra Luxe 4 / AIR 3.0
2. Roon / AIR 3.0
3. Krell Connect
3. Roon / Roon AIR

I was very keen to hear the dCS as it promised to eliminate the MacMini from playback giving me the shortest possible playback chain.

Linked it up to the Dev with Transparent Digital Ref (I have both RCA (1m) and XLR (0.6m) lengths. Ethernet cabling was Supra Cat8 (great recommendation from Axel).
All observations are with Tidal streaming.
Straight up you can tell this is something special - it sounds more spacious and immediate than any of my other options. The bass is outstanding, deep, percussive but never overblown - it was like an amplifier upgrade. The micro details and layering/depth were in another league - can hear studio wall echoes and reverb that were not apparent before. Is this what jitter reduction sounds like or the removal of a computer? My other options sound more 2D by comparison. It really keeps your attention but despite the detail it is not bright or fatiguing. Can't make my mind up over RCA or XLR connection though. It is also Roon ready and so I fired up the MacMini and in Roon found the dCS icon to link to. Sounds excellent - more dCS than Roon/Mac. However, there is a wee bit of a step backwards in SQ with Roon/Mac in the chain - slightly narrower flatter soundstage. It's not much and may be something you could live with to keep the brilliant Roon interface. However, when you go back to 'pure' dCS it is difficult to get enthusiastic about firing up the Mac.
The dCS app is ok and very functional but does something I hate - to play a track you touch an icon or text AND then you have to press play - grrr!
I also found that the MConnect app works perfectly and so I've been using that. Nothing compares to Roon or course.

So all in all this is a winner and looks like I'll have to sell the Krell!

K

I've my NB for half years, and I concur with you that "pure dCS" using Minimserver, has better SQ than Roon, even I've upgrade my Roon server hardware to a supposedly better one and whatever I tried, "pure dCS" is still difficult to beat.

Btw, anyone has experience using audiophile switch with NB and have good improvement can share ?
Roon HQP > sotm sms-200 > mutec (Cybershaft) > 220 Pro > Cardas Cygnus > Avalon IDEA
Denali 2000T
After listening to my aurender n100c for awhile , I decided to go for the dcs bridge.

My A/B test was pretty quick. I was only streaming tidal mqa

Dcs blows the doors off of the aurender. Test was done with coax.

The only thing is that the dcs app is not as good as the aurender app, but I managed ok.

Instruments are real, strings sound textured, cymbals are spectacular.
This streamer is the closest I have ever got to my vinyl setup.
[size=x-small]D1000pro, Sonus Faber Amati anniversary, siltech ls88 cables, direct tv, Apple TV, Xbox, Sony projector.

Second system.. d440pro, Sonus Faber Cremona speakers, Mitchell gyro se turntable with cadenza blue, direct tv, Apple TV , sunfire subwoofer, Sony tv.

Third system... d-premier, Opera sp2 speakers , direct tv, Apple TV , Xbox, Sony tv.
A very positive review ......

https://darko.audio/2019/08/dcs-network-...xcellence/
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(21-Aug-2019, 17:39)Confused Wrote: A very positive review ......

https://darko.audio/2019/08/dcs-network-...xcellence/
Funnily enough I recently took the plunge and bought a Network Bridge (in black - looks wicked!). Now that dCS have released the Mosaic control app, things are a lot more user friendly. The app seems very stable an intuitive. It won't replace the ROON browsing and curation experience. Then again with ROON you also need to hook up a upnp computer and I (and others) have noted a slight degradation in SQ. In that regard I cannot agree with Mr Darko's otherwise excellent review. What I find a real eye (ear) opener is that in general the quality of decent recordings on Tidal is outstanding and in my system through the NB represent the best digital I've heard. Is it coincidence that it is the simplest digital I've ever had????? Anyway, highly recommended for sonics and simplicity.
Devialet 1000 Pro; Magico A5 loudspeakers; Metronome T3a Signature CD Transport; dCS Network Bridge; Kuzma M turntable; Kuzma 4Point14 tonearm; Koetsu Sky Blue; Benzmicro LPS; Audioquest Vodka Ethernet; Transparent Reference Digital RCA-RCA; Transparent Reference XL MM2 speaker cable; Transparent Reference mains cable; PS Audio P5 PowerPlant; Artesania and Finite Elemente equipment racks 
North Somerset, UK     
Sold all of my SOtM equipment a black dCS Network bridge is waiting at my dealer to be picked up.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

Yesterday I got my black NB. Have been playing with it for a couple of hours and it sounds really good. Cant say I miss my spaghetti solution with SOtM and Paul Hynes PSU. 

Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

The dcs dealer in jakarta has just couriered me the bridge. Will take a few days to reach lombok island where I live.

Currently using an old mini with external linear ps running Audirvana connected directly with Audioquest Diamond lan cable to my modded 200. no doubt the bridge will blow the mini out of the water. Will revert with first impressions next week.

Michael
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
There was some delay and I received the bridge last Saturday only.
Got 2 questions:

Roughly how long will it take to burn in?

Planning to try tidal. In case of streaming does the quality of the lan cable makes a difference?
Currently I have connected the bridge with a cheap 10m cat 6 cable to my router. Could move the router close to the bridge and could use an audioquest diamond lan which I used to connect my mini directly to my dev.
Highly modded avantgarde omega duos, slightly modded d200, d-sonics m3 800 s class d amp to drive the subs of my duos, all equipment on silent running audio platforms. 
DCS Network bridge connected with AQ diamond to Router and with special Belden 1694a digital cable (cable is cryoed, mechanical damped and using very high quality solder to KLEI Harmony Bullet plug)
S/C is Shunyata biwire Delta, 2 Delta p/c on the bridge and bass amp, Synergestic dev p/c on the 200, all connected to Shunyata Denali power conditioner
Got the bridge a few weeks ago and tried several digital cables and finally settled on one.
Everything is fully burned in. Used a tweaked Mac mini before with Audirvana, direct eth connection with aq diamond to my dev. Mac was powered by a very high quality lps.

What to say, all my music sounds like it has been remastered! Using pure dcs, no noisy nas, switches nor unpn computer.

Moved the lps from the Mac to my router and the aq diamond from router to dev.
Subscribed to Quboz high res service two days ago. Streaming sounds amazing and so much new music to discover.

Call me extremely happy.
Do you still need Nucleus and Roon after using the latest Mosaic app of DCS Network bridge? I am planning to buy DCS network bridge but want to use it directly without any extra client machine/NUC for the best performance. But as far as I read, if you have hundreds of gigabytes of albums stored on NAS, the mosaic app seems to be frustrating and can not deal with the metadata and classification of them. Is it really true that mosaic is not a good way to handle large digital archieves? Do we still need Nucleus, Intel NUCs or Mac Mini to use with DCS Network bridge? If your answer is yes, how do you connect them with DCS network bridge(over a switch with CAT cables)? Lastly, is AES/EBU connection the best way to connect DCS network bridge to Devialet?
Stereo Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS/Internet sources>> Supra CAT8 >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4(Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >> Mercury Streamer (GentooPlayer, MPD+UpMpdCli  running on RAM) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  Mogami Gold AES XLR >> Devialet 220 Pro >> Echole Omnia Speaker/Jumper Cables >> B&W 804D3 Speakers on IsoAcoustics GAIA-II

Headphone Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS(CAT8) >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4( Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >>  Mercury Streamer(GentooPlayer , Mpd/UpMpdCli ) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  RCA Coax >> Chord Hugo >> Fostex TH900 MK2