Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS!
Thanks for spending so much time on this. The current situation is that I have a working system as a result of creating a separate wifi network from my Virgin Media cable modem. This gives an average of >70Mb/s speed. Both my iMac and iPad (remote) are now on this network and I have also configured the Phantoms to this network and everything seems to be working with the exception of 24/192 files which still skip. Files are being streamed from Qobuz Studio and Tidal Masters trial accounts (I understand that Phantoms don't support MQA so Tidal Master files are being rendered after just one 'unfold' in Audirvana......as I understand it!). I have restricted the input from Qobuz to 24/96 to stop the skipping on native 24/192 files.

The question you asked relate to the old network which is still working ok for non Audirvana applications. Here are my attempts to answer them.

1. What network equipment do you have? All-in-one modem/switch/access point? Model/vintage? Please describe the topology if simple or draw it if not. Please describe how far away anything connected over wireless is from the access point and how much, if anything (e.g. walls, etc), is in the way.

Answer: The Virgin Media cable modem is a very recent acquistion from my ISP and I believe has up to date spec but is not a MESH modem. On the 'old' network the cable modem is linked to an Apple Extreme Time Machine which then effectively becomes the router.......Apple Support helped set me up the precise configuration of the Apple Extreme and I am afraid the details are beyond my knowledge. The Apple Extreme supples both 2.4 and 5.0 networks and I tend to use the 5.0. The Apple Extreme is also linked via a Powerline system to two Apple expresses elsewhere in the house and garage to increase coverage. One of these Apple expresses is in the same room as the Phantoms and an ethernet link goes from the Apple Express to the 'legacy' Dialogue and this is still active and in the old network was recognised by DOS 2 as being present.....plan was to use the Toslink port for my Arcam CD player. I did test this and it worked although if Qobuz/Tidal prove reliable I won't need it.
2. How is your iMac connected to your network? Ethernet wifi? both? If wifi, how good is the wifi signal strength seen from your Mac (do you have the tools/knowledge to measure it?).
Answer: .....See above.. Effectively both on the 'old' network but under the new configuration just wifi via the Virgin Media cable modem and that pathway doesn't include the Apple Extreme or Powerlines etc. Just to note the Mac and Phantoms are in different rooms. Mac upstairs and Phantom downstairs so no 'line of sight possible'.
3. You say your Phantoms are not connected via Ethernet (correct?) but your Dialog is (correct?)
Answer: Yes that is correct in both instances... (see above)....Dialogue and Phantoms are all in the same power block.
4. How good is the wifi signal seen from your Phantoms (do you have the tools/knowledge to measure it?) averages > 70Mb/s
5. How are your Phantoms connecting to your Dialog? (in the app click on the cogwheel, each speaker and then Network Interfaces)......The interface is 'Auto' in both Phantoms. Just to note that both Phantoms are running 2.8.5 but the Dialog is running 2.8.3. I have been in regular communication with Devialet support for about 3 weeks as they said they should all use 2.8.5 and they have promised an update for the Dialog but it hasn't appeared yet...I've been nagging!!

As you can see the 'old' system is pretty complicated but up to installing Audirvana it 'just worked' consistently. We are expecting to move house in the next month so I am now starting to think this is the opportunity to start with a blank slate and build up from the new wifi network. This may well mean retiring the Apple Kit which has been super reliable and for a non-techy like me the Apple Support (like your own!) has been fantastic and a very reassuring back stop.
Once again thanks for spending so much time on this and if you do have any suggestions on the best way forward I am very happy to listen.......I have learnt a lot from this exchange.

Messages In This Thread
RE: MacMini –> Audirvana 3.5 –> Sonarworks –> UpnP –> Golds (DOS2) = BLISS! - by Pwalder - 10-Jan-2020, 23:33