Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
HQPlayer
I was wondering if anyone here has some conclusive opinion whether HQPlayer sounds better on MaC OS or Windows? If there is no SQ difference, which is more stable and has fewer problems? I am just going to buy HQPlayer and get a dedicated computer. I don't mind either platform, would go for better SQ and/or reliability.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500
(21-Mar-2017, 20:26)zdenes Wrote: I was wondering if anyone here has some conclusive opinion whether HQPlayer sounds better on MaC OS or Windows? If there is no SQ difference, which is more stable and has fewer problems? I am just going to buy HQPlayer and get a dedicated computer. I don't mind either platform, would go for better SQ and/or reliability.

If you are going to have HQPlayer and Air on the same machine I'd go Windows.  Mostly because Air seems to work better on Windows and it supports DSD.

If you are going to bypass Air and use a dedicated NAA box, it probably doesn't matter.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Back to the poly-sinc-ext filter it just generally works better with my speakers. Time domain correctness seems more important than transients.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(22-Mar-2017, 05:32)Dr Tone Wrote: Back to the poly-sinc-ext filter it just generally works better with my speakers.  Time domain correctness seems more important than transients.

I am currently using poly-sinc-shrt-mp together with NS4 dithering while upsampling to 192/24. Seems to be a nice combination for my setup.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(23-Mar-2017, 20:34)baconbrain Wrote:
(22-Mar-2017, 05:32)Dr Tone Wrote: Back to the poly-sinc-ext filter it just generally works better with my speakers.  Time domain correctness seems more important than transients.

I am currently using poly-sinc-shrt-mp together with NS4 dithering while upsampling to 192/24. Seems to be a nice combination for my setup.

I haven't tried NS4 yet, just NS9 and "shaped".  Tonights project.  To be honest I haven't heard much difference with the noise shaping.

The specs for Pro indicate USB is 32bit/192 and Air is 24/192. Is the Devialet's USB true 32bit or is it 24bit in a 32bit package?

HQPlayer Noise shaping is applied differently based on output bit depth. I also have to assume that HQPlayer is doing it's work in 64bit so reducing bitdepth down to 32bit instead of 24bit is also advantageous.

If true 32bit USB, USB would have be the better input for HQPlayer.

(23-Mar-2017, 21:21)Dr Tone Wrote:
(23-Mar-2017, 20:34)baconbrain Wrote:

I haven't tried NS4 yet, just NS9 and "shaped".  Tonights project.  To be honest I haven't heard much difference with the noise shaping.

Gave your poly-sinc-ext with NS9 a try this evening and really liked it. Planet Dada (Flamboyant) from Yello sounds very good.  Smile
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
Trying again hq player , sounds amazing!really better than roon upsampling! But........ crashed 2 times and i needed to open it again. From time to time i have kind of pink noise similar to Air problems. I ve red this thread and tried to set it down but i still have some doubts.next is a pic of the settings: i use AIR 3.0.4 thru ethernet wired macbook and devialet. Thks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
[Image: d8f1777a43a3d8cb3e1601f91ca4fc4c.jpg]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
DAC bit: Auto
Vol Min: -5db
Vol Max: -5db
Cuda offload: Off (Unless you have nvidia graphics in your macbook, but even so probably off as it won't be powerful enough to help or too old)

SDM Default don't really matter: but should be ASDM7 & 44k x64

Rule out Air by plugging your macbook right into the Devialet's USB port. If it's stable going USB, the SOTM sMS-200 might be a good fit and use it as a HQPlayer NAA instead of Air.

Air is far from stable yet and most likely is the culprit as HQPlayer is far less forgiving to mediocre drivers.