Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Master/Slave Link Summary
OK Everyone, lets distill your experience with different M/S links.
What have you tried besides the stock Crystal Cable and what you settled on.

I have an Audioprana 75/110 on Order and it should be here next week. Big Grin

Thanks for posting

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
Well I started well before there was a stock crystal cable, a second D-Premier left you on your own to choose a cable. I use a phono to AES/EBU microphone cable which was used by my dealer to demonstrate the dual mono.
I have also used a Vandamme 75 ohm cable whilst using the extra inputs on the slave once I updated to two 250s (set up as one 800 just now), I have gone back to the older cable since the stereo depth I had with the two D_Premiers was better than with the 800, but it hasn't fixed that actual problem. the 75 ohm cable isn't long enough to do a comparison with the position my amps where they are now.
My aural memory isn't long enough to be absolutely sure of any sound differences but my silver Phantoms have at least as good stereo depth as the dual D-Premiers had with my Goldmund Epilog 1 & 2s, and much better than the Devialet 800.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I am one of the rare ones that actually didn't like the Audioprana (seems a little too warm and not as lively as the Crystal). Just not a good match with my system and personal preference. It's only a couple days old so I'm still listening to it and giving it a chance to break in. It's not bad, just not my cup of tea. I'll give it another day or so and then probably list it here for sale. By the way, the craftsmanship is top notch.....the wood version is beautiful.
Raidho D2
(2) REL 528s
Devialet 400 Air Ethernet
Roon Nucleus w custom power supply
QNAP NAS
PS Audio P3 Powerplant and Powerbase
Furutech GTX_D Outlet on dedicated line
JPS Labs Kaptovators to the wall

(17-May-2015, 03:40)Foggy916 Wrote: I am one of the rare ones that actually didn't like the Audioprana (seems a little too warm and not as lively as the Crystal).  Just not a good match with my system and personal preference.  It's only a couple days old so I'm still listening to it and giving it a chance to break in.  It's not bad, just not my cup of tea.  I'll give it another day or so and then probably list it here for sale.  By the way, the craftsmanship is top notch.....the wood version is beautiful.

I agree. I think it gets this soft touch in the sound particularly in the right channel (being driven by the slave) because of the organic wooden "sleeve" with the name Audioprana on it as well as because of the organic cotton shield of the cable that feels so nice and soft. This softens the sound also imo. Otherwise it's a good cable, though.
(17-May-2015, 10:49)Mohmm Wrote:
(17-May-2015, 03:40)Foggy916 Wrote: I am one of the rare ones that actually didn't like the Audioprana (seems a little too warm and not as lively as the Crystal).  Just not a good match with my system and personal preference.  It's only a couple days old so I'm still listening to it and giving it a chance to break in.  It's not bad, just not my cup of tea.  I'll give it another day or so and then probably list it here for sale.  By the way, the craftsmanship is top notch.....the wood version is beautiful.

I agree. I think it gets this soft touch in the sound particularly in the right channel (being driven by the slave) because of the organic wooden "sleeve" with the name Audioprana on it as well as because of the organic cotton shield of the cable that feels so nice and soft. This softens the sound also imo. Otherwise it's a good cable, though.

I also used a much less expensive entry level RCA to AES/Ebu cable (Monoprice) that also warmed things up.  Strange thing to me is that it seems to effect both channels.  Maybe the RCA to AES/EBU connection causes some of this warmth and not just the cable.  Again, this might be a good fit for someone but I just don't think it's working out for me.  I'm going to be putting my cable up for sale on the site shortly.
Raidho D2
(2) REL 528s
Devialet 400 Air Ethernet
Roon Nucleus w custom power supply
QNAP NAS
PS Audio P3 Powerplant and Powerbase
Furutech GTX_D Outlet on dedicated line
JPS Labs Kaptovators to the wall

(17-May-2015, 10:49)Mohmm Wrote:

Naughty Wink
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(16-May-2015, 15:03)MusicFirst Wrote: OK Everyone, lets distill your experience with different M/S links.

Thanks for posting

Kerry

I am using a Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial cable ($2,000) that is designed and made by a guy who produced many key coaxial cables during the years, and am extremely happy with it. 
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
(17-May-2015, 20:06)miro Wrote:
(16-May-2015, 15:03)MusicFirst Wrote: OK Everyone, lets distill your experience with different M/S links.

Thanks for posting

Kerry

I am using a Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial cable ($2,000) that is designed and made by a guy who produced many key coaxial cables during the years, and am extremely happy with it. 

I have dealt with Chris Sommovigo for many years and have bought several digital cables from him in the past.  I have found his stuff to always be leading edge and exceptional value.
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
Spotted at Oxford Audio last weekend:

A Chord Sarum RCA to XLR cable. This was a one off cable specifically designed for use to demo as a Devialet master companion link. Not cheap, £1900 for a 1m cable. I did ask if you could have a half-meter cable for £950, but no, you can't. 1m is the minimum.

Might be worth checking out if you are an eternal tweaker looking for the ultimate in SQ with a little cash to spare?
Replaced the stock, supplied Crystal Cable with a Transparent Audio Premium Digital link. Immediately sounds better before any break-in. Made a straight cable swap S/PDIF, 75 ohms and very pleased with the improvement.
Devialet 400, Wilson Sophia 2, VPI Super Scoutmaster with SDS and 3D tonearm, Lyra Kleos, Audience AU24SE Low Z tonearm cable, Kubala Sosna Emotion Speaker Cables, Audience AU24 Power Cables, Audioquest Wild (Custom) S/PDIF to AES/EBU, CEC TL3N CD Transport.